Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM

That's really interesting, we'll have to investigate further. I guess you must have some info given your surname!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessejamespunton View Post
I believe whoever wrote these memorials in amble spelt the surname wrong, it should of read J H Punton.
So it is this chap then:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...james-herbert/
Old 14-12-2017, 08:51 PM

Haven't been on this site for a while so just catching up. The monumental masons who did the work on the Amble Memorial were my Greatgrandfather, Grandfather and probaby my GreatUncle (I think he was working in the business in the 1920's). To say that they were perfectionists is an understatement, as a kid growing up in the 1960's at the end of Granda "Jim's" career everthing was still checked, double checked and checked again. They couldn't afford to make mistakes with a reputation depended on it. What I'm saying is that spelling on the Memorial would be how it was drafted of that I'm pretty sure. Blame the drafter not the Mason - I've got family honour at stake here (LOL!).
Old 18-03-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Amble war memorial fund raising

I am a historian currently researching WW1 textiles. I have a source that suggests over 100 quilts were made and sold by Amble women to raise funds for the war memorial. If anyone has any further information about these quilts or the women who made them, I would be very grateful to hear from them. Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with this or any suggestions for other avenues I might,pursue to find more information.
Old 19-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara H View Post
I am a historian currently researching WW1 textiles. I have a source that suggests over 100 quilts were made and sold by Amble women to raise funds for the war memorial. If anyone has any further information about these quilts or the women who made them, I would be very grateful to hear from them. Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with this or any suggestions for other avenues I might,pursue to find more information.

Were the Amble ladies doing this work part of Queen Mary's Needlework Guild? I often come across the interesting WW1 period medals to that group but as yet have not found anything with local provenance. I know the organisation was very active throughout the war but I'm not sure about after.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:03 PM

Default War Memorial Names

The Newspaper Archive has just loaded a lot more newspapers including the Journal and Evening Chronicle. Picked this one up for J Ryan (memorial and West Cemetery).
Evening Chronicle, 30 December 1942:
"Sergt-Observer J. Ryan, RAF, VR, son of Mr and Mrs J Ryan of Lindisfarne Road, Amble, has been killed on active service. Aged 30, he was manager of Thompson's Red Stamp Stores, Woodbine Street, South Shields, before the war."
The paper has a photograph too.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 AM

I started as delivery boy, aged 13, in 1956, at the Amble branch of Thompsons Red Stamp Stores in Albert Street, now the petrol station. The manager was Mr Ryan of Lindisfarne Road, he was the father of this airman. He retired about the end of 1956 before the shop moved to Queen street.