Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default Views of Amble & District R.G.McInnes

Picked up this one yesterday at 'Barter Books' - they had it dated as '[nd]1920'

Been looking for one for years. Think it is a fair bit earlier that 1920? The photos are anyway. Not really anything in it we've not seen. Just 18 plates with a few of those of Warkworth.

Old 13-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Robert McInnes' son, also Robert, was killed in the great war serving as a officer with the Lancashire Fusiliers. I have his service papers somewhere.
Old 14-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Old 14-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Not sure what's going on in the harbour in front of the tug. Dredging I assume. There's one of those lighters alongside the crane vessel with a chute going into it.
I think most of this stuff was also produced as McInnes postcards
Old 14-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Old 14-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Administrator

I wonder what the submerged structure is in the last enlargement? the old Radcliffe Staithes crossed over there somewhere.
Old 14-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Old 14-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Administrator

The ship in the photo S.S. Ellington appears to have been sunk in a collision in 1917.

https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?68709

She was quite an Amble regular around 1900.
Old 16-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Steam contraption?

Looks like a winch with a boiler and chimney in there.

Old 17-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I wonder what the submerged structure is in the last enlargement? the old Radcliffe Staithes crossed over there somewhere.
Great set of pictures especially enlarged like his. I think the last picture has been taken from the Radcliffe Staithe itself, the sailing ship is tied up exactly where the life boat station is now. Did you mean trestle bridge to north side? that would have been in the foreground from the brick works area.
Also on a previous pic of the north side it isapparent how much more sand there is now.
Old 18-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Great pictures, the two men are just standing on timbers lying on the staithes, H&S - what H&S?
On the view of the harbour there looks like a pall of smoke from the centre of the Island and I wonder what is under the tarpaulin in centre the Warkworth picture?
Old 18-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy shore View Post
Great pictures, the two men are just standing on timbers lying on the staithes, H&S - what H&S?
On the view of the harbour there looks like a pall of smoke from the centre of the Island and I wonder what is under the tarpaulin in centre the Warkworth picture?
I noticed those things as well! The Warkworth picture has a cart tipped up with the shafts pointing skywards and the interior covered with a tarp.

Regarding the staithes - I'd have fallen in the water on day one I think. Does look a seriously dodgy workplace.
Old 18-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Great set of pictures especially enlarged like his. I think the last picture has been taken from the Radcliffe Staithe itself, the sailing ship is tied up exactly where the life boat station is now. Did you mean trestle bridge to north side? that would have been in the foreground from the brick works area.
Also on a previous pic of the north side it isapparent how much more sand there is now.

It was this thing that caught my eye. Not sure what it is - look like really big timbers on their side, possibly an older structure that has fallen over?

Old 18-07-2019, 11:35 AM

The wrecks on the north side aren’t there or are they submerged? Maybe this helps date the photo? The objects in the water look like staithes - or at least man made as they seem to be equidistant apart. I’d guess at a platform to lay ships up to access the hull, I’ve seen abroad where they use wooden vessels, sail on at high tide and wait for the tide to go out then turn the boat around get to the other side.

The cart is the only cart in the cart park, oh how times change!

Last edited by jumpy shore; 18-07-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 21-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy shore View Post
The wrecks on the north side aren’t there or are they submerged? Maybe this helps date the photo? The objects in the water look like staithes - or at least man made as they seem to be equidistant apart. I’d guess at a platform to lay ships up to access the hull, I’ve seen abroad where they use wooden vessels, sail on at high tide and wait for the tide to go out then turn the boat around get to the other side.

The cart is the only cart in the cart park, oh how times change!
Finally found our image of the pre harbour (proposed) construction map. -This was in the thread regarding the Guyzance Manufactory storage building on the Coquet so ignore the arrow-

You can see locations of four separate staithes. Perhaps they are timber from the old staithes. Hard to work out if any of the positions agree.

Old 21-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Very suspicious timbers anyway. I wonder if they were still there when Marples/Camper & Nicholsons dug the marina out?
Old 22-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Administrator

This is my best attempt of placing that map over google.
Tried to line up the gut, warkworth road, rocks on the shore and river.
Not too sure of how accurate the result.

There were some short staithes from the riverbank to the gut. These are close to where hollydog thinks the sailing ship photo is - ie the new lifeboat station.
The sunken timbers might be those collapsed.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Thats pretty well lined up but its still difficult to tell exactly what they might be, collapsed structure seems most likely.

On another note I hadn't realised that 'Braid' was a derivative of 'Brae' as indicated on Coquets early map, every day is a school day!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 PM

I would say the tide is about 3/4 in when the photo was taken, could the timber be floating and tethered? Seems strange if it is a structure as it would be under water and not visible at high tide.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 PM

If your estimate of 3/4 tide is accurate, and in todays terms that seems feasible, a submerged structure would present a significant risk to shipping. It looks too heavy to float (a raft) and the timbers appear to be 'staith size'. It seems to be on the south side of 'The Gut' channel as it would have run over the mud then and presumably accessible at low tide?