Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Rothbury and Thropton

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 03-02-2015, 09:33 PM

Default Rothbury Aerated Water Co

I have an empty ginger beer bottle marked The Rothbury Aerated Water Co, Rothbury. Does anyone know whereabouts in Rothbury this company was? The bottle itself was dug up (by myself) at Longframlington, Lee Farm area.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

The 1934 trade directory I have says:

"Rothbury Aerated Water Co. (see T. Thompson and Son), Well strand, Rothbury, Morpeth."

that's under "Mineral Water Mnfrs."

So "Well strand" in 1934, wherever that is.

Your bottle is likely older that this. Do you have a picture? Not a company/bottle I've heard of before. (we have a few old bottle aficionados on here!)
Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Administrator

There is a Thomas Thompson in the 1911 census, (aged 49, born Eglingham) as a Mineral Water Carter, a worker, in a Mineral Water Manufactory. (so not the owner then ?) His address is '3 Strand Terrace'.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM

Strand Terrace doesn`t ring any bells, but I know Well Strand (Near Rothbury House). The very name `Well Strand` suggests there being a well, somewhere in the vicinity! Maybe the company sourced the water from the well, figures!

Will look further into this. Many thanks for the info Coquet, and I will put up a picture of said bottle, nothing on file at the mo` but I`ll take a picture and post it here in a day or two.

Last edited by Vagabond; 04-02-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Here it is - sorry it`s the wrong way up. It`s 9" tall with the original stopper - shame about the chip!

© 04/02/2015 Vagabond

May 1st 2015. NB. The copyright for this image belongs to me (Vagabond). I would appreciate it if in future any person or persons wishing to reproduce same, eg on the internet and/or in magazine (paper) format, please do me the courtesy of asking first. Failure to do so is an infringement of my copyright, and a criminal offence (theft), which could lead to prosecution.

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-05-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Here it is - sorry it`s the wrong way up. It`s 9" tall with the original stopper - shame about the chip!

It's a beauty. I want one! Same shape as some of the Alnwick swing stopper ones; I'll photograph some tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Strand Terrace doesn`t ring any bells, but I know Well Strand (Near Rothbury House). The very name `Well Strand` suggests there being a well, somewhere in the vicinity! Maybe the company sourced the water from the well, figures!

Will look further into this. Many thanks for the info Coquet, and I will put up a picture of said bottle, nothing on file at the mo` but I`ll take a picture and post it here in a day or two.
I thought Mr Dippie Dixon might have the answer but the closest I can get is a "Well Close" which lies behind the Armstrong Cottages. He says this is from a well that used to exist on the banks of the Cobletch known later as the "Brewery Well". He reckons the 1846 tithe map shows a small runnel of water flowing from the well through Well Close and that the Cobletch Burn had once taken this course entering the Coquet by the Scottish Ford. It might make sense to you Rothbury lads.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Yes, perfect sense, indeed the aforementioned burn still enters the River Coquet at the Scottish Ford, better known now a` days as the `Stepping Stones`across the road from Armstrong Cottages. This precise location - the confluence of burn and river achieved some notoriety, but not in a good way some 4 - 5 years ago...

Of which, the least said the better.

Last edited by Vagabond; 08-11-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 21-10-2015, 10:13 AM

Default Rothbury stone bottles

Swing-top Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y. Buchan, Portobello maker. 1906 and after.
Galtee More top Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y. Pric, Bristol maker. 1896-7.
Vulcanite internal screw top. T.Thompson. Buchan, Portobello maker.

Last edited by Coquet; 23-10-2015 at 07:44 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 21-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Swing-top Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y. Buchan, Portobello maker. 1906 and after.
Galtee More top Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y. Pric, Bristol maker. 1896-7.
Vulcanite internal screw top. T.Thompson. Buchan, Portobello maker.
Last edited by Brian Johnson; Today at 11:14 AM. Reason: where is photo??

Hi Brian, you can always email me the photo and I'll add it if you like.

[removed]

There is a brief guide on adding photos here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=12568 (post number 4)

(it's a different forum but set up by yours truly, so identical behaviour.)
Old 21-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Can't miss out on local old bottle photos. I love 'em.

A few weeks ago I purchased for £1 at the Amble car boot a black glass Alnwick Brewery Co. beer bottle. I've got a few already, but I cannot help myself.

Old 23-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Photo now added to Brian's post. Very nice.
Never seen a 'Galtee More' bottle, which is apparently the patent stopper securing design with the holes in the side of the lip. I assume a forerunner of the swing stopper?? Interesting.
Old 23-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Very nice indeed, and an excellent photograph! The Thompson bottle is especially interesting! One question though - what is that on the neck of the left-hand bottle? Is it the original glaze? Looks like paint!

PS. The very top of the neck (excluding the white bit).

Last edited by Vagabond; 23-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Tags
bottle collecting, bottle digging, g.w.wilson alnwick bottle, ginger beer bottles, newbigin alnwick, old rothbury bottles, rothbury aerated water co, smart alnwick, well strand rothbury