Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 17-12-2015, 07:22 PM

According to the newspapers, the band was revived in 1954 after being defunct for about 20 years. The photo has been reproduced elsewhere and Betty Stewart has it in her book "People of the Three Villages". She has it dated to 1919, although I would have thought it was later than that.
Old 18-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Default Broomhill Colliery Band - Thomas and Jack Maddison

My grandfather, Thomas Maddison, was in the band with his brother Jack, and I'm struggling to find anything online (I've tried Ancestry and contacting Woodhorn Museum - which has a photo - to no avail).

I'm after the photo as my family has recently suffered a tragedy, and I hope that in finding it I might offer my dad some comfort in this most awful time. He doesn't have many pictures of his father, and one that he hasn't come across before would mean the world to him.

There's a photo online of the band dated 1950, but that doesn't contain my grandfather - I'm not sure why, maybe he joined just after or couldn't attend that day, but I know that there are others out there.

I'm begging for your help. It's my father's 70th on Saturday and time's short. Any scan, download or online image you might have would make a world of difference. Please help me.

Laura
Old 07-01-2021, 08:35 PM

Default To DERILDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
The band was formed in 1953 from voluntary subscriptions from every miner at Broomhill Colliery.
The bandmaster was Charlie Gillan from Amble who worked on the screens. Also members were Lawrence Young, who you mentioned, Jackie Oliver, Jackie Johnson, John Sanderson, Wilf Hardy, Michael Keen, John Smith, Ronnie Morton, Eric Ross, Jack Sillet, Derek Sillet, Ed Knox, and the Bandmasters son who's name I forget, who played the trombone,Jack Russell, George Bell, Tommy Welch and Raymond Harmer. I am sure I have missed some names as it was a long time ago, but it was enjoyable. We had a practice on a sunday morning and some went to Amble and practiced with thier band on a sunday evening. That was upstairs in the then 'Station Inn', Fiveways.
The band broke up as the pit closed and players went to the Armed Forces and other areas for work.
Did you know anything about Ed Knox?