Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Default Red Row Picture Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
Saw a fair few films in there early 60s,bought my first pint in the grey arms,well some one went to the bar for me as i still had a few years to go till i could buy my own.
My Grandfather, John Kellett, lived in Red Row with his family until the early 1930s. He was a deputy overman and shotfirer at Broomhill Colliery. He was also a founding owner, in 1913, of the Red Row Electric Palace, which became the Red Row Picture Hall in 1923. His partners were John Bell and Thomas Gibson.
In 1914, despite being over-age and exempt from military service because he was a coal miner, he volunteered for the Army and in 1915 went to France with the 14th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers. He was awarded the Military Medal, in recognition of which he was given an engraved gold pocket watch by the Broomhill and District Heroe's Fund. He was wounded and captured by the Germans in May 1918, spending the last seven months of the war in Gothenburg POW camp.
After the war he returned to Red Row and continued to operate the Picture Hall until 1931 when he sold his share in the business and moved the family to Chester-le-Street, where his son, my father George Kellett, started a building and contracting business.