Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Red Row shops

Anyone remember the shops and shopkeepers of Red Row. The last one (north) was Allan`s, I remember he owned an E type Jag and had travelling shops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row 008.jpg (87.1 KB, 162 views)
Old 14-11-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
Anyone remember the shops and shopkeepers of Red Row. The last one (north) was Allan`s, I remember he owned an E type Jag and had travelling shops
Was the first building a bank and the second one a clothes shop,a chemist shop was further up inbetween Allens shops,i think.The corner shop was a fruit and veg used to call in every morning before school for a cooking apple the bigger the better.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
Was the first building a bank and the second one a clothes shop,a chemist shop was further up inbetween Allens shops,i think.The corner shop was a fruit and veg used to call in every morning before school for a cooking apple the bigger the better.
Also Nardinis chip shop across the road.
Old 15-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Re; Red Row shops

In early 50s Hetherington's greengrocer was on the corner (Just out of shot on right) The first on right was Martins Bank, later Midlands, then a gents hairdresser, John Chapman (outfitters)which later became 'The Corn Dolly', Johner Dixons Bicycle shop, Wakes Chemist, Harry Donkins, Allen's had a double fronted shop. On the other side of the road from Hetherington's was Primrose Hall ("Sweat Box)and next to it was the Co-op both food and millinery dept's. Further north was Nardini's then further again was another General Store but I can't remember who owned it.
Old 15-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
In early 50s Hetherington's greengrocer was on the corner (Just out of shot on right) The first on right was Martins Bank, later Midlands, then a gents hairdresser, John Chapman (outfitters)which later became 'The Corn Dolly', Johner Dixons Bicycle shop, Wakes Chemist, Harry Donkins, Allen's had a double fronted shop. On the other side of the road from Hetherington's was Primrose Hall ("Sweat Box)and next to it was the Co-op both food and millinery dept's. Further north was Nardini's then further again was another General Store but I can't remember who owned it.
Think the owner of the general store was Erskine,
Old 15-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Parsonx - I take it the Nardini chip shop is now the Ocean Star Chinese Take-Away? The two ladies (sisters) Nardini and Bruce used to own the cafe above Law's Stores in Morpeth (imaginatively called the Narbru!). I used to wile away many an hour after school with chips and gravy and a coke float there.
One of them, can't remember which, also owned the Harbour chippy in Amble.
Old 15-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
Must be 1920s. I can make out J Dixon and looks like he sold petrol! Pratts Petrol sign on the 1st floor wall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0537 (2).jpg (51.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by borderlad; 19-09-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM

The general store up from Nardidi's was owned by Effie - can't remember the surname. Her husband was Wilf. Just remembered. Effie Erskine.

Last edited by raffles; 07-08-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles View Post
The general store up from Nardidi's was owned by Effie - can't remember the surname. Her husband was Wilf. Just remembered. Effie Erskine.
Erskins shop had 2 entrys .main one at the front and the other from the back yard.
Old 29-12-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Phew just finished reading all this info about Red Row, I worked for Allan's shop in the late 50s when I was employed delivering the evening chronicle from Red Row down to Hadston Estate all for 10 shillings. The last paper delivered was up near Barties Town in a row of cottages near Greys Farm. The betting shop mentioned in this thread was run by Ray Parks and the man running the picture reels at Red Row was Stan Raffle, my brother in law. Joan Pettica whose family ran the garage, married Jackie Hamilton and now lives in Spain. As for the families living at the willows, can someone put me right, but didn't a lad called Brian Overtan, a coloured lad, who I think was adopted and who was a member of the army cadet force at South Broomhill, where I was also a member, also lived. He joined the regular army when he was very young, and was never heard of again.
Old 30-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Would Brian be "Ovington" born about 1943?
Old 30-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Thats the one, I remember him now, he was in the Army cadets as you say Bill Y. That was 1957/58 when I "served" , Andy Spears and Alec Keen were two of the officers then.
Old 30-12-2013, 04:07 PM

My grandfather's brother was Willie Gray who lived at No.3 the Willows. He had never really recovered from shell shock in the 1st War. (He used to get called Daft Willie). Anyway he married Sarah Ann Ovington in 1949 and she came complete with Brian and Jacqueline Ovington, so Brian was his stepson.

Willie died in 1964 and Sarah Ann moved to Ashington where she remarried.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Where is he now

I just wondered what happened to Brian Ovington, as I said he joined the army, but was never seen again.

Last edited by williamtheyounger; 02-01-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Thats the one, I remember him now, he was in the Army cadets as you say Bill Y. That was 1957/58 when I "served" , Andy Spears and Alec Keen were two of the officers then.
Correct Alan they were the officers, Andy Spears was senior to Alec who was the Sargent. I was a member when they changed over from the Northumberland Fusilers to the parachute regiment brass band. I played the bugle in that. ( I had wanted to play the drums)
Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Default Agw

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Would Brian be "Ovington" born about 1943?
Yes he would have been born around that time
Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
allens/donkins/chapmans/dixons/barbers/bank/coxons around the corner from hetheringtons