Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 19-10-2018, 06:08 PM

Default helenh

I am interested in finding information on my Grandfather, Lawrence Summerell of Amble, brother of William Summerell who died during WW1. His Father and Mother were Tom and Margaret Summerell of Smith Street, Amble.
Old 19-10-2018, 08:18 PM

Hi Helen, John from the paint shop here,
I have found William Summerell s grand daughter and great grandson if you want to get in touch. Picture of William here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1539979628285.jpg (5.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 19-10-2018, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenh View Post
I am interested in finding information on my Grandfather, Lawrence Summerell of Amble, brother of William Summerell who died during WW1. His Father and Mother were Tom and Margaret Summerell of Smith Street, Amble.
Hi Helen, hollydog (above) did pass your contact details to me yesterday. Anyway, here you are. I'm descended from the sister (Isabella) of William and Lawrence. Lawrence just caught the end of the war being sent to France in September 1918, (with the Grenadier Guards) if memory serves me correctly. He actually enlisted in Feb 1916, but being a miner they stuck him in reserve and kept him in the mines. His service papers are online somewhere. He lived in Leazes Street and Gibson Street, Amble.
Old 20-10-2018, 05:30 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. My Mother Jane Elizabeth Wight Watson (Jean, now age 95) is Lawrence's daughter. She was born in Gibson Street, her Mother being Alice Fleming Wight Summerell. We grew up not knowing my Grandfather who appears to have left Amble for work after WW2. Not sure what happened but there was never any mention of him on our frequent visits to Gibson Street.

My Mother was very close to her cousins Dop and Bill Young and their wives, Nellie and Jenny, and until their deaths we kept in touch. I'm trying to figure out who their Mother and Father were but Mum is very confused now so can't remember. Thanks for any info you can give.

Last edited by helenh; 20-10-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 20-10-2018, 07:41 AM

Hi, John, much appreciate your efforts with this. Hope to find more about Lawrence Summerell. The picture of William is great to have and I assume the child in it will be my Mother's cousin. Thanks again.
Old 20-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenh View Post
My Mother was very close to her cousins Dop and Bill Young and their wives, Nellie and Jenny, and until their deaths we kept in touch. I'm trying to figure out who their Mother and Father were but Mum is very confused now so can't remember. Thanks for any info you can give.

That's an easy one for me, their parents were Matthew Matthews Young (b. 1879 d. 1930) and Isabella [Summerell] b. 1879 d. ????)

This is the family:

Margaret Ann Young (Peggy) in the centre, white top b 1904, then clockwise from the top, chap in window head cut off, Ned Young* my grandfather b 1902; Tom Summerell Young b.1905, d 1931; Isabella Summerell; with on lap- Ellen Young b. 1918, AKA Lal Young or Lal Reid Amble post woman for many years; William Young b 1917; Dobson Young b. 1912/13?; Olive Isabel Young b 1910/11?, d 1923 ;Matthew Matthews Young (Senior); Matthew Mathews Young (Junior) b1907 d. 1952. There was another child, John Young, not yet born.
Old 20-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Isabella (pictured) will be your great aunt?

Regarding Lawrence, the only match on the death indexes I can find is Laurence Summerell, died aged 76, December 1973, 'Durham Western' registration district, Durham.

He is in 1939 still in Gibson Street, Amble.
Old 20-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the family picture. I vaguely remember the name Matt Young. I think Dop is the one standing at the front. Looks very like him. what a huge family. Did Isabella not have another sister? My Mum seems to think there was but she is confused about it all. I was born in the house at 5 Gibson Street in 1945 but was only there for about 5 weeks until we returned to Edinburgh where my Father, Thomas Watson was from. I am sure Lawrence was still there then. Mum seems to think he went to somewhere called Shilton and lodged with someone there but not sure about this. I seem to remember someone called Gladys Young too.

Mum has only just started to speak about her father and wants me to find him so he can visit her. No use explaining to herwhy he can't but wonder if any of the older relatives (if there are any) can tell us why he went. If the subject had come up years ago we could probably have traced him.
Old 20-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Our Summerell line came from South Wales to Durham. So there was a connection there already. Tom Summerell b. 1858 was born Cwmavon Trevethin, South Wales. At some point moved to Durham where he met Margaret Simpson (b. Penshaw 1861) and they married at Houghton le Spring 1878. Isabella Summerell was born at Penshaw soon after. (rather soon after )

I have Tom Summerell's parents as John Summerell and Emily Knowles, but have nothing else on this pair. It's quite possible there were more Summerells remaining in Durham and that is where Lawrence ended up.
Old 20-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think Dop is the one standing at the front.

Yes, Dop at the front smiling. Here's another one of him:

https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amb...3&postcount=31
Old 25-10-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Lawrence Summerell

Thanks for the above information. I have had 2 telephone calls since from Amble. Collin Reid telephoned me but did not remember much about the family. He said he would contact Margaret, who was the most knowledgeable on the family history. Can't remember what connection she was to him. However, yesterday I was out shopping when Margaret called me. John Young (painter) had given her my number. She remembers quite a lot and between us we had a fair old conversation on the family, and what we remembered. She knew my Mother, Jean, and was the niece of Lawrence and Alice and is 88. I can't remember much of what we said but I am going to telephone her from home soon when I'll have paper and pen handy. Have a picture of Lawrence to send but need to figure out how to do it first.

Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Lawrence Summerell

Tried to attach photos of my Grandfather Lawrence Summerell and Dop Young but not sure if I have done it right. If you don't see them can you let me have your email address again and I'll email them to you.

img040.jpg

img038.jpg

img037.jpg
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 PM

The photos have posted ok to the forum Helen. Glad we could help.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Wonderful.

Here's the Grenadier Guards cap badge as worn by Lawrence above.

Old 29-10-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Hi Helen, hollydog (above) did pass your contact details to me yesterday. Anyway, here you are. I'm descended from the sister (Isabella) of William and Lawrence. Lawrence just caught the end of the war being sent to France in September 1918, (with the Grenadier Guards) if memory serves me correctly. He actually enlisted in Feb 1916, but being a miner they stuck him in reserve and kept him in the mines. His service papers are online somewhere. He lived in Leazes Street and Gibson Street, Amble.
Here is a Newspaper Article from The Morpeth Herald and Reporter 24 March 1916

Hadz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A09E49C-1142-4F87-96BD-C5357C149855.jpg (70.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Hadston-Green; 29-10-2020 at 06:08 PM.