Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM

The later deaths are a bit of a challenge, Alan, because the newspapers are not online. I have got a few reports but not many. The causes of death, as described by the Inspector of Mines are on the Durham Mining Memorial website.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
crossed posts - Interesting.

Dragging the depths of my memory I can remember some award or other for an event at 'Warkworth Harbour' appearing on the medal market, but it wasn't these. So think there are other awards 'out there'.

[edit: I might be thinking of the Sea Gallantry Medal for the Ina McTavish ]
The Ina Mactavish left South Shields on the River Tyne on the morning of 16 October 1907 bound for Aberdeen, laden with 130 tons of lime. At about 22:00, the ship's condenser broke down as a nut had come off the suction valve. Around 06:00 on 17 October, the engines were stopped because a rope had become entangled around the propeller. It was decided to beach the ship, and shortly before 09:00 the ship grounded to the south of Birling Car Rock in Alnmouth Bay. It took until 15:00 for the Alnmouth lifeboat to rescue the survivors. By this time the ship's engineer and cook had both drowned. For their part in trying to rescue the crew, P. Holbert, chief boatman of coastguard, Amble; A. Barton, Police Sergeant, of Amble and J. Helm, police constable of Warkworth were each awarded a Sea Gallantry Medal.[

Last edited by leslie; 06-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Administrator

had the microfilm out today looking for mining info and by coincidence came straight across the boy Casey Incident mentioned above:

AMBLE BOY DROWNED.

Heroic Efforts at Rescue Off the Pier.

INQUEST PROCEEDINGS.

Some sensation was caused at Amble Harbour on Tuesday evening by a sad drowning scene and heroic attempts at rescue - in which the son of a respected resident lost his life.
The boy Walter Casey, aged 16, was fishing at the end of the South Pier, at about 8 o'clock, when he was washed off the steps, there being a heavy sea at the time.
Harry Gardner, a member of the Swimming Club, who witnessed the incident, immediately jumped into the water, but his plucky efforts to save the lad were thwarted by the great swirl which came round the bottom of the pier. A disabled ex-serviceman, named Middlemiss, also made a gallant attempt to effect a rescue.
Gardner was himself nearly drowned, and was taken home in an exhausted condition. Dr. Lougridge, who was attending the meeting of the Amble Council, was summoned, and eventually Gardner recovered.
The deceased boy was the son of Quartermaster Casey, of Amble. He was employed by the Amble Co-operative Society.

INQUEST.
Mr Hugh J.Percy, Deputy-Coroner for North Northumberland, conducted the inquest at Amble, on Wednesday night, Supt. Anderson, Alnwick, was present.
Walter John Casey, secretary, 10 Marine Road, Amble, father of deceased, said that deceased was Walter John Casey, aged 15 years and 10 months, an apprenticed butcher.

Heroic Endeavour.
Robert Middlemiss, shipyard labourer, 9 Greenfield Terrace, deposed to being present at the end of the South Pier, Warkworth Harbour.
The time would be, as near as possible, about eight o'clock. He did not see the deceased fall. The first he knew was when he heard someone shout, "There's a boy fallen in the water." He saw deceased struggling in the water, about 40 yards from the pier, and had been swept straight out. The tide was high, there being deep water around the pier. As far as witness could tell, he was going down for the last time. Witness went in after him, fully dressed. Befor the war, witness was a good swimmer, but he was wounded in the war and this proved a great drawback. He had no sense of feeling in his left hand. He managed to reach the boy and held him up for about three minutes. He had to hold the boy with the right hand, and so could not make any headway. He held on until John Hary Gardner came and relieved him. Gardner gave him what assistance he could, but witness was getting rapidly exhausted. He could hold him no longer. They threw a lifebuoy to witness and he got hold of it. He just saved himself. There were two lifebuoys on the pier.

Near Death
John Harry Gardner, a miner, deposed that he did not see deceased before he fell in. Middlemiss was first in. Witness immediately followed him. He was fully dressed except for jacket and waistcoat. he got out to the boy shortly after Middlemiss.
Describing the accident as he saw it, Gardner said that on the steps at the river side, and on the pier, there were about 60 little boys fishing. He happened to remark to a friend of his that it was a wonder there were not more people going over than there were. Witness walked away about 15 yards, then saw the boy in the water. He heard no cry. Witness got under some railings and reached the edge of the pier, where he saw Middlemiss in the water and apparently in difficulties. There was a very nasty sea on. He dived in, and found he could not manage. He got over to the boy and brought him three or four yards in. It then became apparent that he could not save both himself and the boy - it meant both being swept away. He was forced to leave go. If anyone had had the presence of mind to throw the lifebuoy out while Middlemiss and he had hold of the boy they could have saved him.

Coroner - Perhaps the people on the pier were visitors and did not know where the lifebuoys were.
Witness - No, sir. I saw several Amble men, who could swim and were much younger than me.
Witness said he was never so near drowning as on that occasion.

Important Suggestions.
Mr Percy said it was quite possible, as witness said, that those nearby had been a little more lively with the lifebuoy the accident might have had a more happy ending, but unfortunately, everybody was not like witness (Gardner) and Middlemiss.
Midlemiss told the Coroner that he thought the ropes on the lifebuoys were too short, and the buoys were very heavy.
P.C. Weallans, who was one of the search party, said the body was found within fifty yards of where he was last seen. It was just on the edge of the rocks to the south.
In answer to the Coroner P.C. Weallans stated that the lifebuoys were the property of the Warkworth Harbour Commissioners.
Mr Percy - Convey my compliments to the Commissioners, and say I very much appreciate that these lifebuoys are furnished by them, but I would like one of their officers to inspect them - they may have become rather weather-logged - with a view to seeing whether lighter buoys could not be provided so that they could be thrown further out by people. Although it is a very gracious act on the part of the Commissioners to furnish these buoys, it is rather stultifying their purpose if they are to heavy.
Turning to Mr Casey, the Coroner said he would like him to accept his very deepest sympathy in this sad affliction which had overtaken him.

Brave English Gentlemen

Addressing Middlemiss and Gardner, Mr. Percy said:- It was not the will of Almighty God that your efforts to save this life should be crowned with success and that your efforts were not so crowned does not detracted from the noble courage of you respective deeds. What you did, I suppose, was no less than what was expected of you as Englishmen, but that makes it all the greater credit that you so honourably bear the name of brave English gentlemen. Your town and your fellowmen have cause to be very proud of you. It will be my pleasure to draw the attention of the Royal Humane Society to your very noble actions, and I hope that I may be instrumental with the Society in seeing that your efforts at life-saving in this case are suitably rewarded.
Mr Casey also tendered his thanks for what the two had done.
A verdict was returned of accidental death, with a special commendation by the Coroner of the bravery of John Harry Gardner and Robert Middlemiss.

[Alnwick and County Gazette, July 26 1924]
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Administrator

More Amble medals, or an Order to be precise, and a rarity too.

AMBLE CITIZEN RECEIVES NORSE KNIGHTHOOD

Mr James Earnshaw's Work.

Mr James Earnshaw, J.P. of Kiln Bank house, Amble, clerk to the Warkworth Harbour Commissioners, has been honoured by the King of Norway. In recognition of his services as Vice-Consul for Norway, a position he has held for many years, Mr Earnshaw has been created a Knight First Class of the Order of St. Olav. The letter Mr Earnshaw received from the Norwegian Consulate General in London, is as follows:- "I have the honour to inform you that H.M. the King of Norway has been pleased to create you a Knight of the First Class of His Royal Order of St. Olav, in recognition of the valuable services you have rendered Norwegian interests during these many years. On this occasion, I beg to offer you my heartiest congratulations for the honour bestowed on you."
Mr Earnshaw's service with the Harbour Comissioners extends over fifty years. Concurrently with this service he has held the appointments of Norski Vice Konsul for 25 years, recognition of which is now the subject of the honour conferred, and 25 years as Lloyds' agent for the district extending between Cressell and Seaton House Point. He held office with the old Local Board at Amble, before the formation of the Urban District Council, and was fortunate enough to head the poll and hold office as its first chairman. He continued as a member of the Urban District Council for 31 years, being defeated at the poll a few years ago.
He served for 16 years as a member of the old Board of Guardians at Alnwick. He was a member of the Assessment Committee.
In school affairs, Mr Earnshaw has been associated with educational matters since the "seventies" and has seen all the transition stages brought about. He retains the chairmanship of the Amble Council School. He was appointed magistrate for the East Coquetdale Ward in May, 1909, and is chairman of the Amble Bench. As honorary secretary of the Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners' Society for 24 years, and local representative of the Shipping Federation dealing with all phases of seafaring life, he has accomplished much good work.
Mr Earnshaw has been identified with the Wesleyan Chapel and Sunday School during the most part of his life.

[Alnwick and County Gazette, June 27 1931]
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Administrator

You never knew who you might be rubbing shoulders with in 1930s Amble: Knights of the Order of St Olav no less.

Last edited by Coquet; 09-05-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: darn apostrophes
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
3. LG 11/3/16 DCM
1734 Pte. R. Johnson 1/7th Northumberland Fusiliers.

here's Johnson DCM from the Gazette. Best I can do with the photo I'm afraid.

Old 20-05-2014, 08:07 PM

Default Military Medal

Another one for WW1. Morpeth Herald 6 December 1918:
" AB Edward Wintrip, RND of Amble has been awarded the Military Medal for his gallantry in the field. He joined up on the 11th Jan. 1915. He went through the Dardanelles Campaign, went through many of the battles in France, and has been fortunate enough in never getting a scratch."
Old 20-05-2014, 08:17 PM

And another one. Morpeth Herald, 13 December 1918:
"Driver Wm. Luke, of the Royal Field Artillery, Amble, has been awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field. Driver Luke has seen a good deal of service, having enlisted on the 28th October, 1915. He has been in many of the great battles in France and has always shewn a gallant and brave spirit through them all."
Old 20-05-2014, 08:29 PM

And finally, Morpeth Herald 28 June 1918:

"The King has been pleased to award the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned for gallantry and Distinguished conduct in the field:-

Sergt. A Tait Northumberland Fusiliers, Amble - before a raid he did valuable patrol work, and by his keenness and skill assisted greatly in the preparations for the operations. During the raid he took a prominent part in hand to hand fighting, in which all the enemy who offered resistance were put out of action. He showed great courage and skill."
Old 24-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Well our fame spreads near and far. I've just come across our piece on John Henderson in "Movers and Shakers" repeated verbatim in a family tree on Ancestry owned by an Australian living in Canberra. No attribution of course, and it is attached to the wrong John Henderson. Hey ho.
Old 24-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Administrator

It's a real pain, and puts you off writing more. Can you email me the link and I'll ask ancestry to do something.
It is never ending, I have at the moment whole pages scraped into a public "google doc" of my work which someone has declared in the 'public domain'. Unfortunately It's easier winning the lottery than getting a response from Google but I'll keep trying.

I've been working on these Warkworth monumental transcriptions, several hours most nights for what feels like an age, and I'm worried the whole work will be lifted by some copy and paster!

I have a little java script whatnot to stop copying but forgot to add it to the movers and shakers page, there are ways around it though. It's on the 7th Bn diary page if you want to give it a try.

[edit: script now on the movers and shakers and the Victorian Boom town page]
Old 25-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Default R Ditchburn MM

We've mentioned Private R Ditchburn before but here's a little bit more from the Morpeth Herald of 19 July, 1918:

"It was reported in a recent issue that Private R Ditchburn, MM, was missing since May 27th, and now his wife, Mrs Ditchburn, of 81 Mark's Row, Amble, has received news that he is a prisoner of war and quite well."

He is on the Absent Voters List as a POW.
Old 28-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Duncans Buildings/ Cottages.

This has been discussed previously, they were directly behind the highlighted area on your map running towards Gibson Street. There is still one left adjoining the larger house at the foot of Greenfield Terrace facing the top of High Street. This house may have been the farm house of one of the original three farms which was Amble.
Togston Square was the area opposite the Wellwood where the chiropodists place now is , there is a stone in the wall , barely discernable, giving the name.
Old 24-11-2014, 06:41 PM

I really appreciate having access to info about Walter J Casey, after whom I am named. The posting of 30/11/2012 makes reference to a beautiful illuminated address presented to my grandfather. As I sit here at my computer writing this I can reach out and touch the address where it hangs on the wall. My mother, Irene Casey, was the oldest of the Casey children. She moved to the USA around 1927. I followed Walter Casey in a military career, retiring in 1978.

Walter J Dixon
Lt Col USAF. Retired
Old 25-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJD View Post
I really appreciate having access to info about Walter J Casey, after whom I am named. The posting of 30/11/2012 makes reference to a beautiful illuminated address presented to my grandfather. As I sit here at my computer writing this I can reach out and touch the address where it hangs on the wall. My mother, Irene Casey, was the oldest of the Casey children. She moved to the USA around 1927. I followed Walter Casey in a military career, retiring in 1978.

Walter J Dixon
Lt Col USAF. Retired
Hi Walter, Fascinating, great to have you on here, and to hear the illuminated address has survived and is still with the family!
Old 29-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Not sure if we've come across this before? following up for the Walter Casey drowning (post #143):

Shields Daily News 15 December 1924

GALLANTRY AT AMBLE
presentation to two men at public gathering.
At Amble, yesterday, Mr Robert Middlemiss and Mr H.J.Gardner were presented with the Royal Humane Society’s medals and diplomas, certificates of honour, and a cheque for £10 from the Carnegie Hero Fund Trust, together with the wallet of Treasury notes amounting to £25 each.
There was a large assembly of public at the Coquet Hall Amble. Brass band played through the main streets, and a special orchestra played during the course of the ceremony. Mr John Winter presided, and was supported on the platform by the whole of the Amble U.D.Council, the magistrates, and Superintendent Anderson and Inspector Spratt. The presentation was made by Mr Hugh J.Percy coroner for North Northumberland, who paid a high tribute to the gallantry of the two men in their efforts to save the life of a boy named Walter Casey from the sea.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Oddfellows mover and shaker. Grand Master no less.

Came across councillor Duncan looking through my 1915 newspaper copies. Quite a high flyer in the Oddfellows Order, which had an astonishing 500 members in the Amble area.

COUN. J.T. DUNCAN, AMBLE.
Elected Grand Master of National Independent Order of Oddfellows.

This week Councillor John T. Duncan has brought honour to Amble, also to the whole Berwick on Tweed District of the National Independent Order of oddfellows, by his unanimous election to the influential position of Grand Master of the Order. His nomination and installation took place at Berwick on Monday at the Annual Movable Conference. He is no “small potato” who is looked up to with confidence and respect by a society of 100,000 members. Such at persona gratissima is Councillor Duncan today, and we join in the congratulations with have been extended to him. For 12 months he has been Deputy Grand Master. At length his force of character, activities in local affairs, knowledge of social problems and debating abilities have brought a well merited reward. Mr Duncan has been an enthusiastic worker in the cause of Oddfellowship in this district. He was initiated into the “Loyal Charles Percy Lodge”at Amble in 1908 and pass through the various offices and chairs. He is well known at District Meetings, and was elected G.M.of the Berwick District. The Amble Lodge of 500 members is the strongest in this district, and he is secretary of it. He has attended a dozen of the Annual Conferences of the order, in his discussions he has played a useful part. He was elected a member of the Executive Committee of the order 3 years ago. Mr Duncan is a printer and stationer. He served as apprenticeship with the late Henry Hunter Blair of Alnwick, when the “Alnwick Mercury” was published by Mr Blair. Since returning to his native town of Amble (where he has been in business for over 20 years), he has been on the Urban Council for 16 years and has been chairman of that body. He is one of the original members of the Old Age Pension Committee of Alnwick District. He was a member of the County Provisional Committee under the National Insurance Act and is now on the District Sub-Committee.
Mr Duncan is an active member of the Freemasons craft and has been W.M.of both the Morpeth and Amble lodges. He has interested himself in sports and various matters for the welfare of Amble
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Not sure where his shop is? Queen Street I assume, looks to have an archway at one side. Now that shop looks very interesting. Wish I could go back in time and have a look inside.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM

Can I guess that it is the shop which, on current Google Earth of Queen Street, may be Chisholm - Bookmaker. Is it No. 66? That is the only shop on right going west to east, with an arch, intact.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 PM

It's the old Meadow Dairy if you have a look on streetview. The detail under the guttering is the same and the three marks above the signage are the same. Even the repairs to the stone are still visible. I agree, it looks like a good shop to have a browse through.