Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Museum of Memories(?)

Hi,

Im a 3rd year architecture student currently studying at Northumbria University. I have been given a brief to design a residential visitors centre including a museum in the area surrounding Druridge Bay.

I am interested in the local mining heritage, particularly in the lost villages associated with open cast coal mining in the area.

I would be greatful for any information/memories regarding Chevington Drift, Radlcliffe or any other mining associated information. I would also be greatful of any ideas people might have concerning the project I have described.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Is this a real project TomMoore or a thesis for your third year?

You must be aware of the museum already in existence at Woodhorn which chronicles pit village and miners lives so any museum at Druridge would need to be quite distinct from that.
There were only three things going for the area, coal, farming and the sea. The coal affected all of these, bringing people in to the area from the surrounding county and further afield and either moving them on when it all collapsed or leaving them stranded without a purpose.
There is still a community at Hadstone with strong memories of the Drift and possibly West Chevington. Radcliffe was added to Amble so there will no doubt be community memories in the local club.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Sounds like someone is going for a lottery grant.

20 years ago I worked with a chap who was a dyed in the wool conspiracy theorist. Talked about nothing but the Rothschilds and the illumianti. Global single government and currency were certain. He also insisted the future of many countries was a single function economy. Ours (UK) he stated was Heritage supported by global tourism; that's Royal family, castles, historic buildings and museums.

Perhaps he was't too far off the mark?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Haha, I wish I was going for a lottery grant! Unfortunately, as this is a student project it is only hypothetical. But on the upside, I can be as "out there" as I like...

Tags
drift, east chevington, museum, radcliffe