Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 AM

Default The Tin Pots

Anyone got any information about the Tin Pots ,when they were built and when they were demolished.Also what was the name of the street.A lad from school used to live there ,once went to call for him and it must have been the smelliest street i have ever been in,middens across from the row ,a pit heap behind them and a refuse dump round the other side of the pit heap.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Default Tin Pots.

The actual name was Coronation Terrace and I believe they were built about the time of the coronation of Edward VII, 1901/02 "ish".You are right, they certainly wouldn't "pass muster" now evironmentally, pit heap, coal depots, middens, dump, etc.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Isn't there still a single row of cottages on the footprint of the original Tin Pots?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Tin Pots

If anyone is interested you can find a picture of Coronation Terrace at http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/ar...005053~P~1~161

It appears to have been taken very close to the point at which it was about to be demolished. You used to be able download pictures from the NCC Archive for free but now they charge you £4.25 for the privilege. I suppose they have to recover the cost of Woodhorn somehow!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserj View Post
If anyone is interested you can find a picture of Coronation Terrace at http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/ar...005053~P~1~161

It appears to have been taken very close to the point at which it was about to be demolished. You used to be able download pictures from the NCC Archive for free but now they charge you £4.25 for the privilege. I suppose they have to recover the cost of Woodhorn somehow!!
That pit heap looks positively dangerous.
I wonder if any of those corrugated sheets survive in the Broomhill allotments ? they're like gold dust for allotmenteers
Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM

What colour was the corrogated iron? I seem to remember it was green but I've heard somehere that it was actually painted red.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Tin pots.

Green in my time. The colliery managers house stood nearer the colliery where the new houses are now built, it was reputed to be haunted,it's last occupnt was a man called Watson Liddell.
Old 13-01-2013, 06:18 PM

Smile Tin Pots

Certainly green and smelly, thanks to the council dump on the fire of the pit heap. I had a school mate lived in one. When it rained on the corrugated sheeting roof you certainly didn't need a weather forecast!! But happy days.
Old 13-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Smile

The house referred to by Alan J was called Manor House. In fact there were three properties incorporated into it. My uncle, the Head Cashier at the colliery lived in one, the head horsekeeper in another (Because the stables were right next door) and the 3rd was occupied by the Head Engineer (for a while anyway). I slept at my aunt and uncles house a few times but never saw a ghost. Good job too!
Old 13-01-2013, 06:57 PM

I remember the Manor house ,I lived up the road for a few years and shortly before it was pulled down went into the property with a 2 piece recording unit .The footage I got is very poor quality by todays standards but is still a reminder of what the house was like .
Old 13-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Default Re Tin Pots

With regard to the Tin Pots, Coronation Street, the colour in its latter years was green but, unless I am mistaken, was red and probably got a facelift, or lick of paint, from the colliery about 1952. In time for another coronation!!
Old 22-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Default Pit Heap at Tin Pots

Used to live in Stone Row in Broomhill, before moving to hadston estate, had to walk or run past the Tin Pots to get to Broomhill Junior School. As kids we used to climb up the pit heap and used to see smoke coming from it, it smelt like rotten eggs. The locals used to build a bonfire for guy fawks, and some gang of young boys, (from hadston) used to set it on fire before November the 5th.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Default Re Tin Pots

I have just learned that Coronation Terrace had it's first tenant move in in February 1903.