Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Possibly a marker post used by salmon fishermen to line up where they set there T nets.
Old 13-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

There is a modern marker / trig point on the crest of the dunes straight east of the stone one. A triangular plate welded on to a square section pole:

Old 13-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Here's that boundary shown as a nice strait line on an early 17 century map [circa 1610?]. Naturally before the river changed course.

There is a mysterious island in the river over the other side of the meander loop?
Old 13-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Some 'Bounder' markers are shown on the old map west of Warkworth, But I see our 'bounder' is not shown. Could just have been omitted or perhaps it was not there in c1610.
Old 13-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Administrator

I've been colouring in.

Old 13-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator

On the old map the fields on the west, north of Gloster Hill are called "Sault Hawgh" I thought this would be some reference again to salt, but when you google about and discover what these words mean, one old French, the other old English, it could be "Valley Rapids" or similar.

We could discuss the place names on that map 'til doomsday.

Haugh or Hawgh = a low-lying often alluvial riverside meadow, or a valley

Sault = A waterfall or rapids.
Old 13-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Yep, that is the metal trig I saw last week.It is rapidly disappearing, I have seen it a lot more exposed in the past - at least eight foot of it. There is another metal trig on the landward side near the road I believe. I am going to go back this afternoon with the dog and and your maps and see where things are in relation to one another. The wooden pole?
Old 13-10-2013, 11:08 AM

There is a mysterious island in the river over the other side of the meander loop?[/QUOTE]

Is that just downstream from the current waterfall? Without seeing the rest of the map it is difficult to pin point!

Last edited by hollydog; 13-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 13-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Administrator

You can guess Thistly Hill

Thistly = filled with or having many thistles.

not a word we use a lot? success of Roundup? thistly problem?
Old 13-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
There is a mysterious island in the river over the other side of the meander loop?

Is that just downstream from the current waterfall?

I'm sure it will be. Any trace of that left hollydog? I'll have to have a look this week sometime.

Quote:
The wooden pole?
I've missed the wooden pole - is it on that boundary line with the other two?
Old 13-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Looking on google maps I think now the Island was further down stream:

blue = boundary, red= modern weir, green = ye olde island.

image copyright Google 2013

Old 13-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Look like the 'Thistly Hill' survives as the very tip of Helsay. Logical I suppose.
Old 13-10-2013, 11:58 AM

I'm looking at the field boundaries, there are some very similar - straight across on Helsay Point looks good and the outline of the eroded Helsay Point is on the photo. Is it possible to superimpose the maps and google earth?
Thistly Hill possibly went when the river was straightened and deepened for the harbour C19th ? There is evidence of this directly opposite the Braid boat clubs with the wooden shoring holding back the mud flats thus speeding the river up
Old 13-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Have either of you noticed, at the point of Helsay, at low tide, there are what seem to be the remains of some sort of a base of a pier. These are short stumps, set in a regular pattern as though there may have been a jetty there at some time. It could possibly tie in with the shipment of corn etc,
which was carried out there as previously covered in other posts.
Old 13-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Yes I've seen those posts. Must have been some structure there at one time.
Old 13-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Yes Alan, I have noticed them, I canoed over this summer and had a closer look at the ones around the base of Helsay Point. They seem quite small and I assumed they were there as erosion protection or tide flow diversion as there seems to be an ongoing erosion to the point itself (there is no rock to be seen, Coquet correct me - is it alluvial deposit?). I assumed the wood posts were once at the very base of the point but are now about 20 metres from it as the point has eroded.
Old 13-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Going with camera now to beach to have a look, will post if I don't get stuck in the mud!
Old 13-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm looking at the field boundaries, there are some very similar - straight across on Helsay Point looks good and the outline of the eroded Helsay Point is on the photo. Is it possible to superimpose the maps and google earth?
Thistly Hill possibly went when the river was straightened and deepened for the harbour C19th ? There is evidence of this directly opposite the Braid boat clubs with the wooden shoring holding back the mud flats thus speeding the river up

Remember this 1838 map? We will have to get out with the camera and photograph these wood structures. I was convinced that the remains of the staiths on the braid on this map are still there but now sit on the other side of the river to the projected path shown.
The Braid is the remains of the 'Salt Goats' on the 1610 map?

and another island? that one is probably closer to the weir?

Old 13-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Before the river changed its course it was eroding itself southwards. I wonder if the "islands" appeared at various times as the remnants of higher ground were left as the river drowned the lower lying land?

Fascinating thread, I hope Hollydog returns unscathed and before dark
Old 13-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
(there is no rock to be seen, Coquet correct me - is it alluvial deposit?). I assumed the wood posts were once at the very base of the point but are now about 20 metres from it as the point has eroded.
It is Boulder Clay over there (Helsay) so not built from the river sediments. The plain in front or North of Gloster hill is all Alluvial sediments so the river was in there post ice age. if you take a walk in those fields I'm sure you can see old river banks in various places.

(map: yellow = alluvium, blue = boulder clay)

Also interesting is the pre-Glacial theory of the local river drainage. Didn't reach the coast here at all, but at Chevington. There is a hidden valley there filled with boulder clay, only appropriate for the pre glacial Coquet.

Quote:
Some of the borings in the Broomhill district proved considerable thicknesses of drift. As much as 26 fathoms were recorded on the roadside 600 yards north by east of Woodside, and 221 fathoms half a mile to the south-east. Farther to the south-east the base of the surface deposits was not reached at 251 fathoms, and they were still very thick to the east. These borings would appear to be situated on the site of a broad pre-Glacial valley (probably the course of the pre-Glacial Coquet) which passes towards the south-east by Woodside and Whitefield House, and then eastwards towards the present mouth of the Chevington Burn, on either side of which the deposits are more than 16 fathoms thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coquet_alluvium.jpg (119.8 KB, 13 views)