Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Radcliffe Co-Op

Have had a very nice contribution to the old photos section:

Radcliffe Co-Op Building

The poster in the window states "Whist Drive, Supper & Dance"....date

unfortunately can't read the date!

[many thanks John]
Old 27-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Default Radcliffe CO OP.

This building was at the side of the main road through Radcliffe to Amble, opposite the "first" Dandsfield and had originally been the butchers/ slaughterhouse/shop and incorporated the post office too.The grocery CO OP was situated on a triangular patch between Centre Row and Cross Row bordered North and South by Long Row and Burn Row respectively,
Alan J.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator

I was going the reproduce on the Amble & District site the 6 inch to one mile Radcliffe map (1906, crown copyright expired) that's in the archives but everything's a big deal over there so haven't bothered, preferring to keep my blood pressure down! They suggested I needed a licence from the ordnance survey, so I contacted ordnance survey who told me absolutely not necessary, it's been out of copyright for 55 years.
Old 16-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I lived in Radcliffe in the 1950s and 60s. I remember this building as the post office and chip shop run by the Hermison family. As for the date, McAndrews in his book on Amble and District, written about 1912, says that the Radcliffe Co-op was built in 1892. Try as I can I can't make out the date on this picture to that year. My best guess would be 1894. I remember the Co-op building as being near Long Row South, perhaps McAndrew's was referring to this building, with the one in the picture being built 2 years later. Anyone any ideas?