Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Mark Douglas Claxton

By a very circuitous route I've come across an interesting newspaper article about Mr Claxton.
Alnwick Mercury 26 May 1939:

Many residents in the Amble and Alnwick district, especially among the older generation, will be greatly interested to learn that a former townsman, Mr Mark Douglas Claxton, has been elected a Member of Parliament for Mazoe, South Africa.
Mr Claxton was born at Amble in 1874, and the family lived in Gibson Street, being well known and highly respected members of the community. His father, Captain Robert Claxton, was a prominent ship captain, and commanded several ships in the deep water voyages, returning to his home till the ships were ready for sea again.....
Mr Claxton was educated at the old public school (now used as the Council offices) under the headship of the late Mr J P Smith.
On the death of Captain Claxton the family removed to Alnwick and Mr Mark Claxton entered the building trade. At the age of 20 he emigrated to Southern Rhodesia, and for a while worked in the building trade in Salisbury. He served in the Rhodesia Horse in the 1896-97 rebellion, gaining the medal and bar, and in 1898 settled in the Mazoe Valley, where he has been mining and farming ever since.....
Old 08-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up Mark Douglas Claxton

I am interested in your information about Mark Claxton as this is possibly part of my family tree. Do you know if his father Robert was the son of John and Sarah Claxton who came from Norfolk. If this is the correct Robert he had two brothers, John and Jonas Cleveland all master mariners and two sisters Elizabeth and Louisa Sarah Ann. In the Amble East Cemetary there is a head stone for a Wm. Robert Claxton and his wife Mary is this the same person? They lived in Gibson street.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I am interested in your information about Mark Claxton as this is possibly part of my family tree. Do you know if his father Robert was the son of John and Sarah Claxton who came from Norfolk. If this is the correct Robert he had two brothers, John and Jonas Cleveland all master mariners and two sisters Elizabeth and Louisa Sarah Ann. In the Amble East Cemetary there is a head stone for a Wm. Robert Claxton and his wife Mary is this the same person? They lived in Gibson street.

Looks like the same family to me. Someone has the tree on Ancestry, but Robert Claxton is possibly William Robert Claxton? :

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...?usePUBJs=true

Mark Douglas Claxton died Mashonaland, Rhodesia 1960. He was married to Margaret Brewis Glass from Alnwick. If that tree is correct she died same place, two days after her husband?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Administrator

That Ancestry tree links to an 1827 trade directory page for Amble (but appears to include the surrounding district?). It shows Mark Douglas Claxton's great grandfather Mark Douglas, gardener, Amble.

Worth a look but it's familiar as it mentions the mystery paved path down to the Coquet. Toll collector's path? - previously discussed?

It also mentions a 'large' quantity of human bones deposited in a layer of thin red clay, found near the High Street ruins.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Administrator

A little more on M.D.C. 2/3 the way down the page:

http://julianchilvers.co.uk/chilvers...teys-in-africa
Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Anne, what a coincidence! Robert is actually at home on the 1871 census and he gives his name as William Robert, born Norfolk. The monumental inscriptions in Amble East Cemetery show the Wm Robert family headstone and one for Jonas Cleveland Claxton, master mariner as well. It looks like your family to me. William Robert married Mary Douglas in 1867.

Last edited by janwhin; 08-03-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 PM

The Claxton family, including Sarah (born Mundesley)....master mariner's wife, Jonas and Robert are living in Newburgh Terrace in 1861. Robert and his new wife are living in Newburgh terrace in 1871.

Mark Douglas appears to be Mary Claxton's grandfather as they are all in the same household in 1851. Mark's Row and Mark's Bridge are, I believe, named for Mark Douglas.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:10 PM

Here's a newspaper piece about Jonas Claxton, who appears on the Amble East headstone as being lost at sea on 9 June 1905.
Shields Daily News, 14 June 1905:
SOUTH SHIELDS CAPTAIN LOST AT SEA

A MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR

News has reached South Shields that Captain JC Claxton, master of the Newcastle steamer Glenmorven, is reported by cablegram from Savona to be missing. The Glenmorven, which is owned by Messrs Copeland and Co., Newcastle, was on a voyage from the Tyne to Savona, and it was while she was off the latter port that the master was missed about 12.10 o'clock on Friday night last. This was Captain Claxton's first voyage in the steamer, but he had previously commanded another vessel belonging to the same firm. He is married, and his residence is in Salisbury Street, South Shields. Captain Claxton is well known on Tyneside, and held in high esteem.
(From the "Daily Telegraph")
MILAN, Monday Night,
The English steamer Glenmorven, which left Newcastle on May 29 for Savona, carrying a crew of 25 men and loaded with coal, reached that port yesterday. The chief mate, on coming ashore, reported to the authorities that on the evening before, as the vessel was quietly proceeding on her voyage, her young commander, Captain Claxton, mysteriously disappeared from the ship. So far as was known, there was no ill feeling between the captain and any member of the crew, and how he came to go overboard is entirely unknown. An enquiry has been ordered.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 PM

Thanks for your information. I have done a bit of work on the Claxton family. Although John Claxton father of Robert, John and Jonas does not seem to appear on any of the census returns I found a John Claxton had a request for his masters certificate to be transmitted from Norfolk to Amble granted and issued at Amble on 4th May 1851. Son John also gained his masters certificate from Amble in 1859. He was married to Elizabeth Barry from Whitby. He appears to have sailed on the Lyra, Providence and Sea Flower. Robert and Jonas also passed their masters certificates. The only death which i can find for John Claxton born at Cley in Norfolk that fits the father is the one buried in Beech Road Cemetary with his wife Sarah. This all seems to fit. John Claxton sen. was my great great grandfather if this is correct.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Thanks for your information. I have done a bit of work on the Claxton family. Although John Claxton father of Robert, John and Jonas does not seem to appear on any of the census returns I found a John Claxton had a request for his masters certificate to be transmitted from Norfolk to Amble granted and issued at Amble on 4th May 1851. Son John also gained his masters certificate from Amble in 1859. He was married to Elizabeth Barry from Whitby. He appears to have sailed on the Lyra, Providence and Sea Flower. Robert and Jonas also passed their masters certificates. The only death which i can find for John Claxton born at Cley in Norfolk that fits the father is the one buried in Beech Road Cemetary with his wife Sarah. This all seems to fit. John Claxton sen. was my great great grandfather if this is correct.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Anne, the following family notices may help:
Morpeth Herald, 5 September 1868: At Amble, 29th August, in his 67th year, Mr John Claxton, master mariner;

Alnwick Mercury, 16 January 1869: At Amble, on the 6th January, aged 57 years, Sarah Ann, relict of the late Mr John Claxton master mariner.

These two match the burials at St Lawrence, Warkworth. As you say they'll be in Beach Road Cemetery which started in 1862.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Hi Anne
I have just recently come accross this thread about MD Claxton who was my great grandfather, I have done some research and have a tree on Ancestry.com which matches many of the details you have mentioned about a few generations of Claxtons. Some of it was new to me which was really exciting to learn, I am happy to share any information I have.
Regards Mark
Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
By a very circuitous route I've come across an interesting newspaper article about Mr Claxton.
Alnwick Mercury 26 May 1939:

Many residents in the Amble and Alnwick district, especially among the older generation, will be greatly interested to learn that a former townsman, Mr Mark Douglas Claxton, has been elected a Member of Parliament for Mazoe, South Africa.
Mr Claxton was born at Amble in 1874, and the family lived in Gibson Street, being well known and highly respected members of the community. His father, Captain Robert Claxton, was a prominent ship captain, and commanded several ships in the deep water voyages, returning to his home till the ships were ready for sea again.....
Mr Claxton was educated at the old public school (now used as the Council offices) under the headship of the late Mr J P Smith.
On the death of Captain Claxton the family removed to Alnwick and Mr Mark Claxton entered the building trade. At the age of 20 he emigrated to Southern Rhodesia, and for a while worked in the building trade in Salisbury. He served in the Rhodesia Horse in the 1896-97 rebellion, gaining the medal and bar, and in 1898 settled in the Mazoe Valley, where he has been mining and farming ever since.....
Hi janwhin
I found the information on Mark D Claxton very interesting and not known by my family, especially the bit about him serving in the Rhodesia Horse. I am also interested to know where you found this information as he was my great grandfather. I have a family tree on Ancestry.com which I think you had a look at when conversing with Anne, and I have also sent her a message. Regards Mark Claxton
Old 01-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for your message.....the newspaper article comes from the British Newspaper Archive. Do you have access to it?
Old 09-02-2020, 12:41 PM

Yes I do now, and have found the article, thanks janwhin