Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 PM

Default About how much Amble's coastline has changed

Hello

I've seen some fine work on this forum by Coquet overlaying a current map of Amble with an old one to see the pre-harbour river course - but what is the oldest available map of Amble; one that shows the coast and is reasonably accurate?

How would I be able to see that map? I'm trying to go back as far as I can to determine what the coast used to be like prior to quarrying and dune sand removals; plus to see how far out to sea our coast used to be in the Bronze Age.

I have the info I need for the Neolithic and prior, but I'm filling in the situation between now and the Bronze age.

I also want to know about how much our coast has changed within living memory and especially if there are photos of it to show how much larger the dunes were and how far they extended into the sea.

I'd very much like to have information about the concrete structure falling down out of the dune on Links Beach, plus what about the barbed wire fence that is being revealed as the dunes erode on Links Beach? Is all of this to do with WW2?

Can anyone tell me about the buildings that used to be in the dunes i.e. the cafe and isolation hospital? Do any photos exist? I can find virtually nothing.

Finally, please could you tell me what you know about the North Jetty as there doesn't seem to be any history about it online?

Thank you.