Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Default whittle colliery drift belt incident

Hi I was interested to know if anyone can remember what year the incident happened at whittle colliery, when several men doing fore shift got injured going down the stationary drift belt. I was also present at the incident as I was working at the mine, but have been unable to recall what year this was
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

I can remember it, but not the year. I cut the article on it out of the Gazette at the time but can't find the cutting! The newspaper headline was "Helter Skelter Horror Ride" or something similar. The drift man-riding set was broken down or otherwise not available and everyone on that shift had to walk down the drift. A few men decided that it would be possible to slide down the cable belt rather than walk but things went badly wrong and they went into an uncontrollable slide at high speed, and some were badly injured.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I can remember it, but not the year. I cut the article on it out of the Gazette at the time but can't find the cutting! The newspaper headline was "Helter Skelter Horror Ride" or something similar. The drift man-riding set was broken down or otherwise not available and everyone on that shift had to walk down the drift. A few men decided that it would be possible to slide down the cable belt rather than walk but things went badly wrong and they went into an uncontrollable slide at high speed, and some were badly injured.
Yeah that's right a few did go down the belt, I was one of the many that decided to walk down the drift which was something of the norm in fore shift as the both the belt and drift man riding set were unavailable. It was as the paper at the time described a horror show. I have tried to recall the dates but have been unable to date ,will keep looking anyway
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Default Found this when looking for belt accident,

http://www.dmm.org.uk/names/a1946-91.htm
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Fatality list for whittle

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/w017.htm

Last edited by Coquet; 07-09-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: potential copyright issue
Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 AM

We think it was probably 1983.