Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
Yes there was a coastguard lookout by Cliff house and a flagstaff .My grans house still had gas lighting (23 church street)up to about 1948,I remember her proudly showing me the switchs for the electric lights!!!
Yes this is it - note the south pier light behind:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...6&postcount=25
Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Some declaration of the calorific value of Amble Gas here in the London Gazette, so still going in 1954??

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu.../4327/page.pdf (first on page)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM

I've had a look in the National Archives and apparently Woodhorn got a load of historical stuff relating to the Northern Gas Board back in 2011. Allegedly this includes former gas companies from 1808 to nationalisation in 1949. I plan to go to Woodhorn this week so I'll get my research assistant (him indoors) to investigate.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM

The lookout building was last used by the Royal Observer Corps until their disbandment in the 1960's or 70's
Old 07-01-2014, 04:06 PM

In the late 1950's there was an arson attack on the office at the gas works at the bottom of the Wynd. This resulted in the plans for the gas mains being destroyed. I can remember people going around Amble accompanied by a rather aged former Amble gas employee trying to sort out the position of the mains from his memory of them.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Here are some images showing the Gas Works from 1932, complete with Gas Storage Tank. Images copyright of britainfromabove.org.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amble_gas_works_1.jpg (73.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg amble_gas_works_2.jpg (56.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Here are some images showing the Gas Works from 1932, complete with Gas Storage Tank

splendid. I was looking at that photo when you mentioned it above and I couldn't even find the Wynd!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quite a compact site. Must have been a 'carry on' keeping it supplied with coal with no rail line.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 PM

Just got back from Woodhorn where I had a gander at the Northern Gas Board records. Not a lot of joy I'm afraid, all they have is a schedule of old gas companies provided by the National Gas Archive with details of the information on each held at the NGA.

Amble, or to be correct....the Amble and Warkworth Gas Light and Coke Company Ltd., doesn't have much attached to it...a 1956 plan of the works, held at the NGA.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
a 1956 plan of the works, held at the NGA.
Heavens above, is that it??

All the Amble records must have gone up in smoke with the fire Alan mentions above.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Janwhin has forwarded the missing (last) page from the 1926 register, collected on her recent foray to the archives. Main page on the other site is updated, but here is the missing page as a screen capture anyway:

(Amble Strakers now recorded!)

Old 13-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Heavens above, is that it??

All the Amble records must have gone up in smoke with the fire Alan mentions above.
Nil desperandum, I've written off to the National Gas Archive to see if they have anything else. Apparently it is now run by volunteers from the Manchester local history society so it may take a while.
Old 14-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Well, this is the plan of the site courtesy of the National Grid Gas Archives, via Janwhin.

I was going to say in one of the posts above with the woodcuts showing the operation of gas works equipment, that they must have had a lot of waste hot water from the plant.
I bet it was utilised on the Amble site to heat that vinery.
Now I have an allotment on the west site, just a hundred yards away, and when I inherited the plot the 'greenhouse' on it had an ancient grape vine in it. I wonder if it came from down there on the Gas works site??? Hey, you never know, allotmenteers are renowned for their 'salvage' and recycling skills.

Old 14-01-2014, 05:30 PM

There was something odd about this plan which states it is a drawing of the site dated 1956 but the surroundings, like the Fox and Hounds, stabling, Robert Dand's land didn't seem to match, even the spelling of Gloster Hill. Having had a hunt round, as you do, Luke Richardson with gardens to the south of the works was a joiner who left Amble about 1856, Mrs Lee with property to the east, died in 1877 (by the way Coquet, the vinery belonged to her husband Samuel), the Fox and Hounds pub opened about 1860 (on OS map) and closed beginning of 20th Century, there were two possible Robert Dand's from about 1835 to beginning of 20th century.
I think it has come from sale documents in 1878 when John Henderson's son was selling the whole lot. Maybe it was reproduced following the arson in the 1950s.
On 28 October 1878 the Gas Works went up for sale (lot 1), Kiln Bank House with stabling and garden (lot 2), a front shop and dwelling to the rear with back office in opening leading to Victoria Street (lot 3), two cottages in Victoria Street (lot 4).
Possibility?
Old 14-01-2014, 05:45 PM

This was what went up for sale. John Marshall Henderson was declared bankrupt in 1879.
Alnwick Mercury, 12 October 1878:
"...Auction at the Dock Hotel, in 7 lots......comprising the gas works, with main and house pipes, machinery, house, store, sheds and buildings connected with the same;
Kiln Bank House, with stables and loft adjoining, and garden;
A front shop and dwelling house in rear, with back office in opening leading to Victoria Street;
A dwelling house, with 5 rooms, and yard, and back offices;
Two cottages in Victoria Street, and two gardens, and a garden at south end of Victoria Street.
There is a grand opportunity for establishing a Company at Amble to carry on the Gas Works, the gas pipes being already laid and everything in working order."
Old 14-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Nice work.

This is what was left of Mrs Lee's property (later a mineral water factory) from a while back just before it was pulled down. Image from another thread.

Old 14-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Nice plan Coquet, Kiln Bank House has always puzzled me as it crops up in the census returns and I had never heard of it. Mystery solved, thanks.
Old 14-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Newcastle Courant 21 Feb 1845:

"On the 14th inst., the towns of Amble and Warkworth, which are rapidly rising to importance, were lighted with gas from coal obtained in the neighbourhood, which from the brilliancy of the light, appears to be well adapted for gas purposes. The works were erected by Messrs. John Stevenson and Son, of Newcastle, to whom great credit is due for the efficient manner in which the apparatus is constructed, and for its successful results."
Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 PM

This is what was left of Mrs Lee's property (later a mineral water factory) from a while back just before it was pulled down. Image from another thread.

[/QUOTE]

Is this the R W YOUNG Amble factory listed as the Wynd in the 1934 Kelly's Directory ? Bottle kindly given to me today by Colin at The Farm Bakery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (29.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 035.jpg (26.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Default Youngs "pop" factory.

The pop factory was in the yard behind these houses, the big house was occupied by the Baston family and the next door cottage was occupied by a man called Gustard. The factory yard had outbuildings and garages for their delivery wagons. The son of the last proprietor still lives in Amble.