Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-05-2022, 07:20 PM

Default Bottle Dump

The new carpark where Breezes Garage was seems to have thrown up a broken bottle dump. It's all Heras fenced off but some looked fairly intact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bottles on Breeze's Garage Site.jpg (146.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Bottles Photo2.jpg (152.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Interesting. They are marble bottles AKA 'Codds' (invented by Hiram Codd)
kids have smashed them for the marbles inside. I remember the seniors in the family mentioning this activity when they were kids. Found it funny I was digging them up as a hobby.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 PM

I couldn't get close enough to find out but would these be Richardson & Burton bottles - the Amble fizzy drinks manufacturer on Bridge Street? Would make sense if they dumped any broken bottles at the nearest convenient place. From an old map where they are now would have been the shoreline of the gut at the time.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Someone on evilbay thinks they are worth £20 - ( Amble mineral water company one)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363824478...cAAOSwdQ5iF7zC
Old 03-05-2022, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al88c View Post
I couldn't get close enough to find out but would these be Richardson & Burton bottles - the Amble fizzy drinks manufacturer on Bridge Street? Would make sense if they dumped any broken bottles at the nearest convenient place. From an old map where they are now would have been the shoreline of the gut at the time.
Could be - definitely an unusual high concentration of marble bottles for some reason.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:37 PM

Firstly my bad for getting the company name the wrong way round "Burton & Richardson". I was passing yesterday and asked one of the contractors working on the site if I could take a closer look - and yep they are B&R. Very sadly all broken, so no fortune to be made on e-bay, only a rare glimpse and reminder of Amble's lost industrial heritage.
Old 14-05-2022, 10:10 PM
Administrator

I’m reminded of digging on a farm tip near Warkworth. The tip was at the edge of a field in a wide area of waste between the fence line and the ploughed area. We had permission to dig in the waste but the tip extended into the ploughed area – you could tell by the darkened soil and broken glass in the ploughed soil. This tip was a nightmare – lots of real nice local bottles but all broken. Curiously densely packed in the ground. Normally a tip would be 95% ash or something with household items including bottles making up the rest. This tip was just packed with broken bottles. You could hardly get the fork in. I can only assume the farm had a use for their ash and the bottles might have been broken by kids.