Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 PM

This is the 1860 map http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/004851FS.htm

Although a couple of decades after the Welch's Buildings went up it shows the development of the top end.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Welch's Buildings

I thought I might have posted this before but I don't think I did. When Joseph Welch died suddenly (see Amble's Who is Who) his properties went up for sale on 14 August 1845 in 13 lots:
Lot 1: Dwelling House-shop. 3 rooms,cellar. East side of highway leading to Harbour and Links (Wellwood Street). Occupier: George Turner, chemist;
Lot 2: Dwelling house-shop, 4 rooms, cellar (next to 1). Occupation: George Teasdale, draper. Passage and stairs in this lot common to it and occupiers of 3&4;
Lot 3: Dwelling house-shop, back shop, 2 rooms, cellar. Adjoining Lot 2. Corner house of Welch's Buildings. Occupier: George Hickman, butcher;
Lot 4: Dwelling house-shop, room, cellar. Adjoining Lot 3. Situated south side of a new street formed in front of Welch's Buildings (Queen Street). Occupier: Robert Dryden, tailor;
Lot 5: All those freehold premises used as an Inn called "Waterloo Inn" adjoining Lot 4 and situated the south side of the new street with yard and outbuildings. Occupier: William Perrie. Comprising a long room (30' long); 7 other rooms; excellent cellar; 3 stall stables adjoining to and on the south side of Lot 9;
Lot 6: Dwelling house-shop, 3 rooms and cellar, with oven used as bakehouse. Adjoining Lot 5. Occupier: Martin Henderson, baker (he's one of mine!);
Lot 7: Dwelling house-shop, 3 rooms, cellar, yard and outbuildings. Adjoining Lot 6. Occupier: Thos. Donaldson, shoemaker;
Lot 8: Dwelling house-shop, 3 rooms, cellar, yard and outbuildings, adjoining 7. Occupier: George Lyall & George Taylor;
Lot 9: Dwelling house-shop, 3 rooms, cellar, yard and conveniences, adjoining 8. Occupier: Richard Rutherford, butcher and other;
Lot 10: Dwelling house-4 rooms, situated north side of highway from harbour to links (Church Street). Occupiers, Nicholas Wynn & Edward Briggs;
Lot 11: Dwelling house-4 rooms, adjoining Lot 10. occupier: Wm Blenkinsopp and ANO;
Lot 12: Dwelling house-5 rooms & Light Closet, adjoining 11. Occupier: James Brown and Robert Wood;
Lot 13: 2 buildings situated behind and adjoining 11 & 12 and abutting on back passage way used respectively as slaughter house and stable. Respectively occupied: G Hickman and George Turner.
All built in the last three years.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Thanks Jan, not seen this before.Lot 6 is our shop - the bakers, the last item, the slaughter house, I do believe we still have the blood stained floor in an old store at the back of 5 Church st. Did show it to Coquet once, he might believe me now!

I will try and photograph it, if you (Jan) want a look at where Mr Henderson lived let me know I can put my tour guide hat on, and anyone else interested for that matter!

Last edited by hollydog; 03-03-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 AM

I did wonder whether you might be the bakery when you mentioned the oven, I'll have to look in the next time I'm in Amble. Sounds like a tour of Holyrood Palace with the bloodstains on the floor
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Is Lot 9 likely to be Rolands do you think....if so seems to be continuous use as a butcher shop. And that would mark the eastern end of Welch's Buildings.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Is Lot 9 likely to be Rolands do you think....if so seems to be continuous use as a butcher shop. And that would mark the eastern end of Welch's Buildings.
Rolands is possibly not Lot9 as there are 3 shops below us before Rolands and their shop does look like a separate build. The Waterloo, us, Pincushion, the ex-newsagents and the ex-barbers in that order are architecturally linked when viewed from the other side of the street.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:24 PM

I think Hollydog is right, the architecture at Rolands is different to Welch's buildings so must have been a bit later. As for the slaughter house and stable these may have been where Kanes bakery was in the 50's, entrance onto Church Street.
I was brought up opposite the chip shop in an upstairs flat, 34, and moved, in 1950 over to 19 which was then next to Walter Willson's garage. I believe that the buildings on that site at present were once used as stabling for Walter Willson's delivery horses and carts.
The picture of the chip shop has a sign above the window, this was the fish and chip illuminated sign which might be mistaken for a "For Sale" sign. There were none of these in those days as all the transactions in Amble were usually handled by Carse and Googer the local solicitors. If a property was for sale it usually done with a simple notice in a window.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM

Hi.my father,Aidan Mitchell, remembers the chip shop,he thinks it was also called "Hendersons" and was ran by family called "Wood".
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Correct, George Henderson was Mrs Woods brother and he was the one behind the potato crisp manufacture.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:17 PM

I was born in the flat above the chip shop in 1946 and lived there for five years.
I remember a Mr Henderson ran the shop and he had the best chips I have ever tasted. He would often let me help cut the chips with the machine and in return I got a free bag of chips
Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Smile chip shop

Yes I also remember Mr Hendersons fish and chips ,my gran always sent me to get them,loved watching that chip machine in action!Chips always taste better done in Beef dripping!Gran said to be sure to ask for a bag of the fried batter crumbs,forget the name they were called ,maybe AlanJ can recall that!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Scranshums
Old 04-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000

That's it!!!Just up and round a bit was a (I think)sweet shop?Also across from the chip shop was another shop which I think was electrical?Alan J to the rescue!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM

If Allans/Ken's is Lot 12 of Welch's Buildings it was a five roomed dwelling house which would match the number of windows in Allans. Ken's seems to have got half of Lot 11 as well.
That would make me think that the windows were blocked up at a later date, maybe with a change of use?

PS I always thought they were scramshuns!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Administrator

scranshums at Allan's and scranshuns at the Harbour?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Administrator

http://mumblingnerd.com/family-histo...es-when-young/

"There was an abundance of fish and chip shops. The standard supper for an adult was a twopenny fish and a penerth of chips; a child would have a penerth of chips. Chips were wrapped directly in newspaper while fish would have the protection of a single small sheet of greaseproof paper, salt and vinegar were free. At some shops a portion of chips could be swapped for a bundle of newspapers. Crumbs of fried batter from the fish; called scranshums; were free on request. Other food delights were available. The Pork Butcher on a corner at Ashington, sold penny dips. A bread bun was cut in half and dipped in the grease and gravy of a roasting joint, with luck you got a bit of crackling with it. Hot pork buns were also sold if there was any money about. On Saturday mornings, you could take a jam jar and buy boiled peas from the door of an old woman at the fisher end."

I rest my case.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Administrator

You do realise this thread is going to become the authoritative internet source on Scranshums / Scranshuns, more likely the more we repeat Scranshums / Scranshuns?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Scranshums!! scranshums!!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM

What a lovely article. Anyway we got Scramshuns at Gino's.....maybe your version was pitmatic and mine was posher cos my mother came from Warkworth
Old 04-03-2014, 01:14 PM

ah Gino's scranshums. Speaking of which the painted fascia board with the trawler on is an Arthur Young special from the mid eighties, it is slowly fading away which is a great pity as there are very few if any examples of Amble's main signwriter of the seventies era left. The painted black lines and face on Strands window opposite was his as well until some idiot smashed it.
Last count I had 22 fascias to my name btw