Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 31-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I too am surprised at the apparent lack of security on the drift mouth. Anyone with any "pit sense" knows that the drift is probably full of black damp by now. Although it is in an isolated location it is not impossible for someone to wander in out of curiosity and find themselves in trouble.
I would have thought the coal authority would have made a job of it and sealed it up completely.

That's what happened at an abandoned drift at Widdrington. An atmospheric 'low pressure' day and loads of CO2 pouring out of the drift into a nearby building. One fatality.
Old 31-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Default whittle colliery

les is doing ok had hip replacement still at thropton, 2 men working on loco road Davy Jones as you said and norman. 1west winnings low side belt road shilbottle holed though behind y58 bunker, Y63 m/g holed onto top side belt road about y22 i remember rideing bottom belt up. i remember y64 m/g used as tail gate for y65 supplys went up the gate on a peice of belt fixed on a hauler rope, passed all the middler prop's keeping the roof up. Was the gas comming out of the mine not Stobswood baths wear Don Tollet died after Stobwood open cast started. Whittle drift don't look that sealed off .
Old 31-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i remember y64 m/g used as tail gate for y65 supplys went up the gate on a peice of belt fixed on a hauler rope, passed all the middler prop's keeping the roof up.

I remember that shared gateway, it closed up, roof, sides and floor, took the supplies in wrapped in a long length of conveyor belt like you say.

I think the logic with Whittle drift will be that it is sealed with water, but it will have to remain open to the atmosphere as long as they are pumping water from it - could still brick it up and put a chimney up.

Quote:
Was the gas comming out of the mine not Stobswood baths wear Don Tollet died after Stobwood open cast started.

That's the one. I wonder if the open cast drained the old workings and indirectly caused the problem? There'll be a Coal Authority report on it somewhere.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Default whittle colliery

coquet you have recent photos of whittle drift , for pumping do they use the pipe that go's out the drift roof ?. i was one of the men that instoled the pipe from outbye of shilbottle up the supply road (9west i think) up 10 west on the floor until we got to the drift bottom where it was it was bolted to the girders , all the drift work was done in the holidays intween men going down and supplys going down . the men working were geff hawks , bill law (laws) and myself. we said whittle was closeing british coal said no it is just for pumping shilbottle out ,( if someone reopened whittle i wonder if they cuppled into this pipe line whould this pump all the pit out i know it whould take a big pump and SOMETIME.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Hi Phil, I remember that range being put in. I think they were eventually expecting plenty of water from the Shilbottle side - the future of the mine

I'm fairly sure they have a purpose made pumping borehole that intersects the drift which will be just open at the bottom (flooded) end, basically a big hole in the drift roof. Don't think it's connected into that range, but I could be wrong.

Before Ellington closed they built a large pumping station - enormous pumps and motors, they might even have been 3.3kv, about a mile inbye side of the last used "Brass Thill" Drift. It will still be sitting there, submerged.
They do like big pumping and ventilation projects just before they close pits for some reason.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator

In fact it was a bit of a joke during the 1980s that unfortunately rang true too many times:

like:

Bob: "Have you heard the latest? they're spending 5 million on a new fan house! "
Bill.... "that's it then, she's ower, we're finished, what ya ganna dee with the big "R" Bob?"

That is by the time you add in the cost of "the project", you can make any mine look horrendously unprofitable, if you wanted a mine closed that is.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

I see what you mean now Phil, the pipe shown here passing out the back wall. I think it's just an open end behind there.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Default whittle colliery

when we got to the drift top with the pipe range surface fitters took over, Whittle spent a lot of money moving the car park ,stock yard ,offices to drift top, the concreat road all across the surface must of cost a bomb.
Old 27-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Default whittle colliery

I remember going down the drift then down 10 west manrider off ther and turn left under the top belt along the road way into the old whittle pump house small light weight gerders , jakey Stevenson was the pump man oldish man then he kept saying he will take me with him on his pump round of old whittle, so not all of old whittle was used as standage. ther was a bunker at bottom of 10 west in shilbottle side .
Old 30-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Default whittle colliery

do anyone remember when leaving the cook and barker looking towards the A1 there was brick structer in the field to the left , was this newton colliery ? I found a web page witch mite be newton colliery . wleb page nj 1505 maptile shilbottle .
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Administrator

This is where Newton on the Moor Colliery was Phil. If there was an abandoned building there until recently then it was probably part of the Colliery. There was a photo (old postcard) on Flickr at one time but I think it's been taken down.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...04179,0.011362

[edit: I've marked Whittle Drift on that map as well so if you pan out you can see where they were in relation to each other.]
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator

I've found that web page you refer to:

https://sites.google.com/site/waggonways/nu/15/nu1505

looks like a labour of love that website - just like us!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Regarding the Shillbottle seam, you can see what happens to it as you head towards Amble on this borehole log.

This one was called the "Broomhill Deep Bore" circa 1912, drilled three quarters of a mile "south east of Morwick"

Dipping all the way from its outcrop at Shilbottle it is now at 2031 feet, and it has thinned to 1 foot 11 inches. If it still exists south of the Hauxley fault it will pop back up a bit, be even deeper!

Also interesting to note from that bore is the change in strata from river delta type formations common in the Broomhill Hauxley area to the deeper marine like strata (when limestones start to come in) in which the Shillbottle and Townhead coals are found.

Last edited by Coquet; 01-10-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spellings etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I would not be surprised if the shallow 2'9" or 3' seam in that borehole turn out to be Hauxley 'T' seam.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Might be Coquet, McAndrews also has the Shilbottle seam struck at a depth of 337 fathoms, (337 x 6 = 2022 ft), from a borehole in the Green Lane, a mile West of Amble.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM

One mile west of Amble and 3/4 mile south east of Morwick are possibly the same place! How deep did the opencast go there in the 1990's as it cut a swath through that area from Cavil Head down towards New Barns Farm
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Thats quite a drop from the Shilbottle Grange pit where the shafts were sunk to a depth of 1,000 ft, this according to my calculations, would be about 167 fathoms. The depth of the old Longdyke pit was much less as it was at the other side of another fault.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure what depth the opencast would be able to go to but fairly certain it would not be anywhere near these depths. Can one of our opencast experts come in on this?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Administrator

I think McAndrews will be referring to the same borehole, I wrote above 'circa 1912', but I think that is the date the data was published, the borehole could have been put down a few years earlier and the Broomhill Coal Co. could have sat on the data. [I think McAndrews published 1905?]

Regarding the opencast, I think the Chester House site must have been at least close to that area but agree the Shilbottle seam is too deep, so they must have been taking out those shallow 3' seams.

I walked along Green Lane about a month ago [Amble-Morwick -Warkworth and back to Amble] Funny but the tracks and hedgerows along Green Lane look quite mature so perhaps the opencast did not cross it?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM

From the back road to Warkworth the green lane is original for about 400 yards to the bottom of the dip (the dog leg on the old maps), the next 500 yards or so straight up the hill to the farm track crossroads is where the opencast went through. From there it is original up to the road near Morwick farm.
The opencast went about half a mile north of the lane towards Warkworth, to the last field before New Barns farm.