Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-09-2015, 02:29 PM

Default Bullock Estate

The Taylor Estate in Amble included Amble House and the Link House Farm. The farmhouse for Link House Farm was the Wellwood Arms.
The Taylors came into the estate via some marriages but originally it came from the Bullock family.
According to McAndrew, "The old grey slated cottage at the west end of the town, adjoining what is known as the Green Field was the farm house of the Bullocks and was not sold with the land." (Green Field is Greenfield Terrace?)
According to the Proceedings of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club in 1893, "Their house still stands at the west end of the town, massively built, covered with heavy grey slates....Taylor of Alnwick laid out the garden etc for the site of Greenfield Terrace. Miss Taylor devised the old grey slated mansion house to Mr Hall of Bewick, its present owner. The house was used as the Poor House for the township before the formation of the Poor Law Union."
Old 13-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Robert Bullock:
He seems to take over as copyholder from William Browell on the 15th March 1586/87 - this is recorded in the 1608 survey of Amble in Hodgson's history.

He's dead by 1630 as the land is tennated by his widow then, the whole parcel being in the process of being sold to Henry Lawson. (edit: Lawson and another chap, Henry Horsley of Milburn Grange)

Would the cottage McAndrews mentions have been a dwelling surviving from 1630?
Old 13-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Reading Hodgson's, at this time, when the lands at Amble taken by the crown way back at the dissolution were finally starting to be sold, he states the value* of the salt pans at 4s, - yet the coal mines of Amble are worth over 10 times that sum at 41s.

(*yearly rents I should note.)
Old 13-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Administrator

There is a Robert Bullock stone in Warkworth churchyard:

Here lyeth the body of Robert Bullock, who departed this life the 17th day of December, anno domini 1698, freehold of Amble. Phillice his wife, who departed January 12th, 1717.

Son I assume, and a proud freeholder.
Old 13-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I would like to see a map of the Amble coal mines, as per 1630. Or perhaps I wouldn't, there'd be a shaft under my living room knowing my luck.
Old 13-09-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I would like to see a map of the Amble mines, as per 1630. Or perhaps I wouldn't, there'd be a shaft under my living room knowing my luck.
Could go the same way as Swarland Terrace
Old 13-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Yeah, precisely. Surprised we've not had some 'incident' here in Amble.
Old 13-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Robert Bullock:
Would the cottage McAndrews mentions have been a dwelling surviving from 1630?
It's certainly not clear in the text. There was still a different building at the top of Queen Street standing in 1893 dated from 1749.
The text refers to an old manor house on the street in Amble in 1629 owned by Robert Bullock it then talks about 1722 and George Bullock before launching straight into the quote about the house.