Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi I`m a newcomer to your group. I`m in the process of doing my family tree but seem to be hitting a brick wall on my Mothers side. I knew my Grandma Sarah Jane Johnson maiden name Brown lived in Bullocks Hall and noticed she`s on the 1911 census you have on the site as living at 28 Chevington Crescent. I knew my grandmother and grandfather were buried in Chevington Cemetary but I`ve now found My great grandparents Thomas and Elizabeth Jane Brown were in your burial transcripts. Maybe she could be one of those little children seen in the picture in Chevington Crescent. Thank you so much for that

Hi Susan, welcome to the forum. Rick's photo sure is a goodin'.

I too have ancestors (4 x grandfather?) in West Chevington, but earlier; 1850s.
Old 13-02-2021, 11:53 AM

Haven’t been on this site for a while, but walked to the site of Bullock’s Hall earlier this morning from Woodside. Although the site is long excavated, there are two memorial stones at the site of the village. One (with a carving of the church) has a plaque and the other is marked “Bullocks Hall” (no apostrophe). On the rest of the latter is the legend “Liz Ainsley 1985”.

Seems as though the Council have opened up the paths across that part of Chevington Moor, according to notices posted in Woodside and at the gate arc the top of the old road leading up from the bridge on the road crossing the moor from the A1068.
Old 13-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Coquet, another photo of the residents you mention.
Eliza Young nee Lindsley was my Grandfather's sister.
Photo of her with 2 of her daughters Eleanor and Alice.
Old 13-02-2021, 04:09 PM

Default Eliza Young nee Lindsley

Photo, couldn't attach earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eliza Young (Lindsley)-001.JPG (52.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-01-2024, 01:34 PM

Default Chevington Crescent

Last September I took the opportunity to find the current remains of Chevington Crescent & my Grandparent's home @ number 3. I was told that some of the old road still remained & so it did. I found a small section just beyond a small bridge where Chevington Burn crosses below it. It even looks as though there's still signs of the white centre line in the road - see photo 1 ! The second photo is looking at what would have been the front garden of no.3, using old OS maps & GPS to find. To the south & west is fairly heavily wooded now & much of the grass / nettles / thorn bushes around are up to knee height
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC road.jpg (116.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 3 CC.jpg (130.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-01-2024, 10:53 AM

I remember the area well. My relatives lived beyond where the caravan site was , opposite Ainsley's Farm. An aunt lived in the stone house , I think it was called "Sandom House" and another Aunt lived in the wooden house just beyond that. The name's.....the Hunters & the Curry's. Would travel down that road from the road ends with my grand father to see his sister's. Dont know if anyone else knew but at the end of the road on the bend was "Spraggons Garden" .It is believed someone hung themselves there ,wonder if there ever was a house on the land. Sadly someone actually did hang themselves on the Ainsley's farm.