Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Hello from far away.

My name is Kath, and I have found my way to site whilst researching my family history, and learning about where my GG grandfather lived before he made his way in the 1830's to New Zealand. I actually know very little about this man George Taylor's background, except to say that he must have been a very adventurous , and fit and strong man to have have embarked on such a journey in those times. I often even find myself if he actually intended to end up where he did , and where , 3 generations later, I was born. And, I cannot help but think of the family he left behind when he set sail, they say on a whaling vessel , all that time ago, and never returned to his homeland. George Taylor was born in Lesbury in 1807, to a George and Elizabeth Taylor. Elizabeth was Stewart, before her marriage , and came from Hauxley. They had a daughter also Elizabeth who was born in 1807. There may have been others, but I have been unable to trace them. I thought that if there are still any members of this Taylor or Stewart family in the district , who are missing a whole branch from their family tree, and maybe wondering what ever happened to their long lost GG uncle George, I would love to share with them what I know about his life after he arrived on our shores . Thank you for reading my post, and kind regards, Kath Wicks, Auckland, New Zealand.
Old 20-05-2018, 03:46 PM

Hi Kath - just a thought - if you join Ancestry and get your DNA tested you may find some relatives in this area...and elsewhere ftm
Do they do it in NZ?
I'm about to send a kit to my cousin (without a computer) in Australia to provide a sample and then return it back to me to send off for processing.
Bit of a faff on but there's always a way.
Gordon.
Old 20-05-2018, 06:32 PM

Low Hauxley was a typical Northumberland fishing village and like many others on the North East coast they were all related to one another, there were Stewarts, Olivers and Taylors to name a few of the inhabitants. The village still has one or two of the original families but now there are a lot of incomers. I live in nearby Amble where some of the families moved when the fishing from Hauxley became unprofitable.