Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Newbie here

Hello all, i stumbled upon this site whilst looking for info on the Darling lighthouse keeper. I'm from Amble and my family have a long history here on both sides.

We have a picture that we are trying to trace, a quick assessment is that it is of Grace Darlings Nephew who worked on a merchant boat. My Grandfather remembers his grandmother passing it down along with a pistol. (I will attach a photo later). He is Ted Roland (Butchers) and his Grandmother was Jinny (Jane Roland-nee Darling) he was always under the impression it was GDs Uncle but I dont think it is.

Ive been scanning through the site and found some fascinating photographs and snippets of information. Well done to all for contributing and I hope to read more soon. I love all the old pictures and maps. We have a few up in our shop on Queen St if anyone is interested in seeing more historic photos.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM

Hi Carl, welcome to the site. Roland the butcher has been a bit of an institution in Amble A Job Horsley Darling, who would have been Grace's nephew was a merchant seaman.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Hi Carl, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing any pictures you have
Old 13-08-2013, 12:28 PM

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/ph...37/9502665600/
Old 13-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Do you know what the photographic process is? Daguerreotype / Ambrotype ? they seem to be popular in very specific periods which might help narrow it down date wise.
Old 13-08-2013, 08:54 PM

we have no idea Coquet but we could leave it in the shop if you would like to look at it. The story of him being a mariner matches in with the nephew. Think that points towards 1840 ish?

When did photography start?
Old 15-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Can I throw in another possibility?
I did a bit of genealogical ferreting as I do and discovered that your Jane Darling was actually descended from a Robert Darling (her grandfather) who, on the 1841 census was in the navy living in "Government Buildings" in Craster. He was not born in Northumberland and his age was given as 40 (age rounded down to nearest 5 years in 1841). In 1851 he was in the coastguard service living in Alnmouth, born Berwick on Tweed and in 1861 a coastguard in Amble.

Last edited by janwhin; 15-08-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 15-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Wowza, you're good at this game.

That certainly fits in with the story of an uncle (does it?) also the gun, which we still have. There was also a story about him quelling a mutiny on a ship with the gun that we just dismissed.

So Jane Darling (my Grandads grandmother) was the grand daughter of a Robert Darling? Robert Darling is no direct relation of Grace Darling?

I'll pass this over to my Granda

Thankyou!!!
Old 15-08-2013, 02:53 PM

History is full of coincidences. My great great grandfather ( Capt. James Young) was Chief boatman coastguard at Craster mid 1850s then Alnmouth 1861 and then Amble. My family appears to have followed the Darling in question (I reckon they must have kept moving him on, if he's owt like your grandad!) and now we are 3 shops apart on Queen st.

Last edited by hollydog; 15-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 15-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_d View Post
So Jane Darling (my Grandads grandmother) was the grand daughter of a Robert Darling? Robert Darling is no direct relation of Grace Darling?

I'll pass this over to my Granda

Thankyou!!!
Can't see any direct relationship with Grace. Robert was the son of a John and Alison Darling, born in Berwick in 1796. John and Alison say they were born in Scotland and the Darling ancestors of Grace came from Berwickshire, Chirnside, I think.