Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 14-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default Ye Olde Walter Wilson's Amble

Wonder what this place is going to look like after its revamp??

think they built the pyramids at Giza in less time (just kidding)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_walter_wilsons.jpg (46.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 14-02-2012, 08:00 PM

I have seen the shopfront joinery drawings (local contractors are being used where possible which is very commendable) and coupled with the building work this should produce a very impressive frontage.

I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised with the result as lots of old photos are being used for the manufacturing details.

As for the time its taking, I understand the building was in very poor repair and virtually everything from the chimneys, roof down to the cellars has had to be gutted and renewed. Amble sandstone is as brittle as Radcliffe brick is hard! and, unfortunately that part of Amble is sandstone based, say no more

Both English Heritage (with a modest grant package I understand) and the landlord (to whom it is costing a fortune) deserve praise for having faith in, and investing in Amble.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Sounds like it's going to be a nice job. The old co-op was under wraps for a long time too and it's turned out quite congruous. This one might be more visually influential as it's often the first frontage you see visiting Queen Street. (you'll have to ignore the building opposite though!)
Old 15-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Have to admit - had to look up congruous in the dictionary !!
Yes, the old Co-op has provided an interesting frontage, in keeping with the heritage of the street, lets face it, its a massive improvement on the empty modern faced shops that were there.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000

I seem to remember as a child that there was a Hovis bakery a few shops down?Remember the little loafs with Hovis on!!
Old 15-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Default Hovis shop.

Yes it was "Kanes" cafe and bakers shop, they had a bakery through the archway below Kens autoparts on church street and wheeled the produce through the alleyway which then existed where Young the painters shop / garage is now.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Sounds like it's going to be a nice job. The old co-op was under wraps for a long time too and it's turned out quite congruous. This one might be more visually influential as it's often the first frontage you see visiting Queen Street. (you'll have to ignore the building opposite though!)
The hoardings should be removed this week - the Wellwood elevation was painted today, the Queen st side is almost complete for painting
Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Yes , I wonder who's going to take one of the shops ..............maybe Lawrence's ............they have a shop on every street !

Only jesting ......I get alot of things from there , they do seem to stock a lot of stuff ............just like Smailes in Morpeth .
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Default Smailes

Was that a barbers shop down queen street?