Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Default Here's another another one......

Hello all.
Ex Amble boy Paul here. Moved away when I took the Queen's shilling in 1974 and now live in England's smallest county! I stumbled across this website by accident and after only reading a couple of articles I was instantly hooked and had to join. I still have family in Amble and enjoy going back as often as I can. My grandad managed the Low Hall farm until 1970 and it's interesting to see it mentioned on the site. Looking forward to reading more articles and re-living my (much) younger years!

Cheers all.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Hello Paul, good to see you on here. I worked on Low Hall Farm in the early eighties for James and Joe Forsyth in the summer holidays immediately after it was reinstated from opencast. I presume 1970 was when the dreaded draglines moved in!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Hi hollydog and thanks for the welcome. Sadly it wasn't the opencast that ended my Grandad's time at the farm as 1970 was the year he died. He was passed retirement age but determined to carry on working for Joe as he had for Joe's dad before him. James at that time was just a young lad. My Gran continued to live at the farm for some time before moving into a bungalow in Amble. I have looked at the farm on Google Earth and it seems to have changed a lot. I must go back and have a look one day. Am I right in believing the Forsyths pulled out of the Low Hall but still have the Low Steads?

Paul
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM

Low Hall was reinstated with a new farmhouse west of the original, the farm cottages are still there though along with some of the original buildings. James is back at Low Steads, with Joe and Margaret nearby.
James grandmother, Alice at Low Hall, was a Rowell, one of twelve brought up above the Co-op butchers in Queen st - my dad's side of the family