Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Other Northumberland Miscellanea

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default Northumbrian Proggy Mats

I've got a pair of inherited proggy mat tools which I use for putting badges on cardboard.
Anyone got an actual vintage proggy mat or more tools?

Old 21-10-2018, 12:21 PM

proggy mat_001.JPG
Hello, I spent many happy childhood hours helping my mother to make proggy and cliquie mats. There is a difference between the two kinds: with proggy mats the clippings were cut quite short and pushed through the canvas with a progger; with cliquie (not sure of the spelling) mats longer clippings were placed under the canvas and pulled through, a bit at a time, with a clique (hook). The picture I've posted is of a very small proggy mat which used to belong to my Aunty Freda. It now resides under my computer desk. I've got other pictures to put up at a later time.
Old 21-10-2018, 12:22 PM

Sorry, picture is far to small. I'll try again later.
Old 22-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Picture's fine, opens up 800 pixels wide. Rare survivor! Apparently (from googling) Beamish museum have a demonstration of this proggy mat making.
I recall the other names too - clippy or clicky mats or something. They can be quite artistic, 'tapestry' like works of art.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:15 PM

cleek_001.jpg
This is my mother's clique, cleek - whatever. It was pushed through the canvas and a part of a large clipping was pulled through to make a loop. Then a half inch or so farther away the process was repeated; and so on until the clipping was all used. After that a new clipping was employed.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:22 PM

proggy mat frame_001.jpg
This is my mother's proggy mat frame. I've set it up with Aunty Freda's mat laid on top to show how it would look while it was being constructed.
Old 23-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Delighted to see your frame, I bet few authentic used ones have survived. (I'd be temped to give it a go and make a mat!)
Old 23-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Nice one Adrain, something for you to do in the winter nights.
Old 24-10-2018, 12:29 PM

A 'clique' must be a synonym or colloqualism for a hook of some derivation, as a young lad I used to 'clique' for lobsters and crabs on the rocks between Amble and Hauxley when the tide was very low. I had a longish pole, 4' maybe, with a small steel shepherds cook type of hook on the end to scrape under rocks and submerged rock pool shelves in the sandstone. Limited success but many hours of fun all the same!