Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-08-2021, 09:51 PM

Default Any info about Togston Barns WW1 photo please

I have inherited this unusual photo from a soldier to his wife (Mrs Robert Lowery). The Robert Lowery may have lived in the Thropton area then he may have had a haulage business in Wooler. Jane/Jean was my Gt. Aunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2174.jpg (36.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2175.jpg (25.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:11 PM

Togston barns was farmed by my wife's grandfather James Gray during the WW1 period and until 1929. There is a photo of the bomb crater caused by a German bomb dropped by a Zepplin approx 1916. It shows a crowd of locals and the wife's grandfather beside the hole. This photo is on the site somewhere.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:55 PM

Default Togston Barns

Many thanks for your interesting reply.
Must admit I found that creating a post confusing and attaching the photos more so!
Anyway, re your Wife's Grandfather, James Gray, I wonder if his 'family tree-er' came across the Army whilst using the huge barn at the back of the photo? Are there any better photos? What does 'RSG' stand for? There are more questions than answers as the song goes!! Thank you. DH.
BTW 'Google Earth' shows no sign of the bomb crater now.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:45 PM

I'm guesing RSG could be shorthand for Royal (Siege) Garrison Artillery. My Grandfather James Whittle on the absent voters list has his unit being Siege Battery RGA. Can't make out much detail in the photo but a mounted division with gun carriages would tally
Old 18-08-2021, 10:08 PM
Administrator

So the photo is at Togston Barns? Or just sent there? Could it not be some army camp or even the proverbial 'Somewhere in France' - why write 'England' on the reverse?

Any chance of an enlargement? I can see horses and limbers/carts but are there guns?
Old 18-08-2021, 11:09 PM
Administrator

There's a Jane and Robert Lowrey living at Turvelaws Cottages, Wooler in 1939. He was born 1890. (Robert Lowrey married Jane Riddell 3rd quarter of 1914, Glendale District)

Back in 1911 he's at Branton, Powburn with his parents Catherine and William.
Both 1911 and 1939 sources have his occupation as 'Horseman on Farm'

There's probably a son at the 1939 address, Ernest L. Lowrey, born 1921. An Ernest Leslie Lowrey died in 2007, resided at Wooler.
It's worth noting the spelling here - Lowrey not Lowery?
Old 19-08-2021, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Regarding the 'RSG' in the address, I think that is some post office abbreviation, Acklington was our sorting point for mail for around the district at one time, (now Morpeth). It might be a badly written 'RSO' which stands for 'Railway Sorting Office' -'Railway Sub- Office' or similar; here's some railway types discussing the 'RSO abbreviation on post marks and addresses.
Old 19-08-2021, 09:31 AM

Default David re Buston Barns query

That's a very interesting set of comments and thank you.
The term 'RSG' was used in WW2 for 'Returned stores Group' (found on a site which explains all the abbreviations used) but the WW1 page shows nothing for RSG!
I'll come back with more soon thanks.
Old 19-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Administrator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Sub_Office

I'm convinced it's just a post town designation for Acklington. Just a mis-formed letter 'O'
The designation fell into disuse in 1905 but I'm sure people would keep on writing it for many years.
Old 19-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Togston barns was farmed by my wife's grandfather James Gray during the WW1 period and until 1929. There is a photo of the bomb crater caused by a German bomb dropped by a Zepplin approx 1916. It shows a crowd of locals and the wife's grandfather beside the hole. This photo is on the site somewhere.
Here's the thread on the bomb crater (with picture)

https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amb...ghlight=crater