Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 15-10-2015, 05:36 AM

Thanks Coquet, yes thats my Youngs !
Old 16-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Administrator

They do have some information at Trinity House on yours and mine. I'm not sure how much, perhaps just the licence. If I ever get over there I will photograph what is there.

There is a discrepancy in their data regarding birth dates/ages, - just errors I think.

screen capture from an email last year:

Old 16-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Regarding the Rocket Apparatus Medals, I was sure someone published a roll of recipients, probably just name, station and date of award; but it might contain more.

I can't find any reference to such a book on the internet now - starting to think I imagined it! (I will ask the medal collecting types.)
Old 29-12-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Some of the shooters on this Amble range did remarkably well, including one of the Widdringtons, who went on to win one of the top Bisley prizes in the 30s (Although he was also a Cavalry officer at the time).

Now the Club were handing out silver medals, spoons and cups on a regular basis - anyone seen any of this 'prize' material? or has it all been scrapped?
An ARC spoon emerged from a dresser at some point over Christmas, I’m guessing this was a Rifle Club prize via Grandad McQuillen of Amble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8DD08C5B-AFB3-41D7-AC3E-7973890C3092.jpeg (81.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMcQ View Post
An ARC spoon emerged from a dresser at some point over Christmas, I’m guessing this was a Rifle Club prize via Grandad McQuillen of Amble.
The spoon possibly originated from the other side of the family - J Wilson is referenced as the winner of a silver spoon in an earlier post from Coquet:

Quote:
...The following were the winners of the monthly shoots held in 1914 and were each presented with a silver spoon. The chairman made the presentations as follows:- A.E. Green, A Barnes, T. Barnes, F.M. Young, J. Wilson and E. Coulson, sen.
Mr. R. Lyall was awarded the Donegal Badge.
It may be the same spoon. Attached is a photo of J Wilson with rifle and trophies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J Wilson.jpg (57.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 18-02-2023, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Found these two oldies on Amble beach. No idea what they are. Can't find identical ones online. Possibly Martini Henry???

These look like 'minie' bullets from the 1850 - 60's, possibly from an early enfield rifle.