Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default A Hundred Years ago...or thereabouts

(9th June 1921 Blyth News)

BUILT AT AMBLE

Launch of a Ferry Steamer for Jarrow Corporation.

The first steel ship built at Amble was launched there on Tuesday afternoon in the presence of a large gathering.
The vessel was the Jarrow, a twin-screw ferry steamer built to the order of the Jarrow Corporation, and it will ply between Jarrow and Howden, and will carry 650 passengers.
The vessel's dimensions are: 92ft. length p.b., 28ft breadth moulded, 38ft breath over sponson, and 10ft, 1½in. depth moulded. It will be fitted with twin screw triple expansion surface condensing engines.
The builders are the Amble Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., successors to the Amble Ferro Concrete Company, and have four other vessels in course of construction.
The site on which the new yard stands was the site of a shipyard of some 70 years ago when several wooden vessels were built.
Old 26-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Actually named the A.B. Gowan:

http://www.naviecapitani.it/Navi%20e...B.%20Gowan.htm

https://live.staticflickr.com/4203/3...94f87381_z.jpg

http://www.naviecapitani.it/Navi%20e...%20Gowan/2.jpg

Old 28-06-2021, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default necessitous children and mothers

21,884 Meals at Amble
The work of feeding the children who are affected by the coal stoppage is being sustained every day in Winter’s Hall, Amble. There have been 10,968 free breakfasts served to the children and 10,916 dinners, making a total of 21,884. Also to necessitous mothers 511 breakfasts and 480 dinners have been served.

(Shields Daily News 16 June 1921)
Old 29-06-2021, 09:41 PM

I'm thinking that by then there was the Central Hall, Coquet Hall, Parish Hall in Dovecote Street, Drill Hall and the Hall later School Canteen in Gibson Street, possibly Ballantine's Building in Church Street - but I've never come across a Winter's Hall before - where do we think that was?
Old 29-06-2021, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al88c View Post
I'm thinking that by then there was the Central Hall, Coquet Hall, Parish Hall in Dovecote Street, Drill Hall and the Hall later School Canteen in Gibson Street, possibly Ballantine's Building in Church Street - but I've never come across a Winter's Hall before - where do we think that was?
Not sure - William Winter had a stationer/newsagent/general dealer on Queen Street during 19c. - wonder it it was named after him? What was the function/origin of the large green hut near north street/gut braid?? remember that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gramophone ad.jpg (146.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 30-06-2021, 07:45 PM

Kelly's Directory of 1910 lists William Winter as a Printer and Auctioneer, Queen Street and in the 1934 edition at 57 Queen Street as Amble Printers. It could be him if he had an auction room - could that be the hall?

Last edited by Al88c; 30-06-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Kelly's Directory of 1910 lists William Winter as a Printer and Auctioneer, Queen Street and in the 1934 edition at 57 Queen Street as Amble Printers. It could be him if he had an auction room - could that be the hall?
Current numbers (?have they changed at any time?) puts 57 as that AFC Pizzas shop which is '55-57 Queen Street'.
The Newsagents on the corner of Cross Street & Queen Street is 56 Queen Street.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Where was 'Central Hall'? - I forget
Winter is selling tickets for an event here in 1920
Attached Images
File Type: jpg central hall amble march 1920.jpg (96.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:58 PM

I have a John Winter 27/3/1866 on the 1939 census - Manager Amble Unemployment office/Auctioneer/Estate Agent/Printer/stationery shipping....married to the beautiful Isabella Bell who died in 1937....on my Grandmothers sisters branch...from which my photos and research were STOLEN by mikew8247 on Ancestry.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have a John Winter 27/3/1866 on the 1939 census - Manager Amble Unemployment office/Auctioneer/Estate Agent/Printer/stationery shipping....married to the beautiful Isabella Bell who died in 1937....on my Grandmothers sisters branch...from which my photos and research were STOLEN by mikew8247 on Ancestry.
Yes it looks like Winter was quite the Amble businessman. Did they live at Warkworth at one time?

Sorry to hear you're having issues with ancestry - you should contact them and say your images are still in copyright - you put them up by mistake and they must be taken down.

I put an image of my great-grandfather up on ancestry one time - came across it copied into someone else's tree and they had made a complete hash of it - don't even think he was a relative in any way of theirs! - all mixed up nonsense -I wonder how many trees are like that on there? People just not taking care to confirm they are on the right person. Strange waste of time.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:29 PM

Central Hall, I think became the Britisk Legion and in my youth the Norseman - Thomas Gibson Proprier circa 20's?
Old 06-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Central Hall, I think became the Britisk Legion and in my youth the Norseman - Thomas Gibson Proprier circa 20's?
Ah.. right got it. Another lovely stone building gone, replaced by a carbuncle.

On the subject of Carbuncles - Amble Harbour - what a total mess the place is now. And it's been a conservation area for decades. The council are a bunch of jokers- the only reason the older parts of Amble were declared a conservation area was for the council to charge higher fees for various things. Technically, if you are going to change your front door or put a satellite dish up it has to be ok'ed by the council. (with a fee for asking)
Then you read about the (perfectly fine) charity shop sign on Queen Street getting knocked back - then look at the harbour disaster - They must be having a laugh. I mean how does someone walk around the harbour and see all these massive alien buildings then walk up Queen Street and see a shop sign, then start taking a tantrum because it's not in keeping with the Queen Street conservation area? What are they smoking?
Old 28-07-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Winters Hall

Mr Winters lived in Bede St Amble, on the corner opposite Bede St Club. His shop is where Pizza Place, Queen St is now. My mother (95years old)remembers it was a lending library too, you paid 2pence a week. Winters Hall was on the Braid, over the bridge and on left, in front of Campbell Smith’s. it was a large hut which was used also for travelling entertainment groups so I presume that was what they were advertising in 1920
Old 29-07-2021, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGS View Post
Mr Winters lived in Bede St Amble, on the corner opposite Bede St Club. His shop is where Pizza Place, Queen St is now. My mother (95years old)remembers it was a lending library too, you paid 2pence a week. Winters Hall was on the Braid, over the bridge and on left, in front of Campbell Smith’s. it was a large hut which was used also for travelling entertainment groups so I presume that was what they were advertising in 1920
Wonderful. That's joined a few dots.