Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Amble and my ancestors

Hello I put a brief message in the introduction section explaining I live in Australia but my fathers family came from Amble. On the 1871 census my great grandfather was the Inn Keeper at the Harbour Inn, he was Thomas Young and his wife was Isabella. They had two children , one daughter Elizabeth(who I will discuss later ) and my grandfather , also a Thomas Young.
My grandfather Thomas married a Barbara Anne Burns and they had two children in Northumberland, (one was my father, George Thomas ) before emigrating to Australia in approx. 1898 on the Orizaba and they settled in the remote area of Denham West Australia where they had a third child.
Sadly within eight years my grandfather was dead, his wife permanently hospitalized and the three young children all place in an orphanage on Christmas eve.
Consequently my father never knew much about his family , however I have been handed down a series of photographs of family which have no names on, though some have Alnwick, Amble or Newcastle upon Tyne on. These intrigue me and I would love to be able to identify my grandparents.
My other goal is to find out if I have any relatives remaining in Amble or nearby.
Elizabeth , my grandfathers sister married Edward Matthews in approx. 1877 and they had six sons.
They were living at 9 Lime Street between 1891 and 1911.
Their sons names were Thomas young Matthews,born 1878
Matthew Matthews born 1879
Edward Matthews born 1881
John Thompson Matthews born 1883
William Matthews born 1886
Alexander Matthews born 1888
From looking at the 1911 census I can see Thomas Young Matthews was married to a Mary Ann but they had no children at this date.
Matthew Matthews was married to a Rachel Jane and they had a son John Edward Matthews age 3
Edward Matthews was married to a Mary THS and they had a girl called Mary Lillie age 4 and another girl called Elizabeth age 1.
John Thompson Matthews was married to Mary Jane Air and they had two daughters Elizabeth Young Matthews age 4 and Rosanna Matthews age 3.
William Matthews was married to Phyllis but at this date they had no children and
Alexander Matthews was also living with them and still single.
This is as far as I have got with the Matthews line but perhaps someone can relate to this information. I would be so happy to hear anything at all .
Kind Regards Ken Young
Old 26-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Administrator

I know it's not the info you are after but is your Edward Matthews the son of Matthew Matthews, Amble brickmaker? he will tie in with our tribe as my x2 grandmother's brother. [see image]

[I should add the Thomas Young shown in the tree is a different Thomas Young to the one in the opening post, but they are both at one time in Lime Street, Ken's ancestor managing the Harbour inn, and mine a Mariner/Harbour Pilot]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg young_matthews.jpg (47.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 26-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

There was a John Matthews managing the Steamboat Inn at one time - I would not be surprised if he is the other brother. Harbour Pilots at the time appear to need the Young or Matthews surname as a job prerequisite . Some sort of Young/Matthews Mafia control of the pubs and port I fear.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Yes that is the Edward Matthews my grandfathers sister Elizabeth married and had six sons by. On the 1911 census Elizabeth has died and Edward Matthews is still living at 9 Lime st but now with his sister Eleanor as shown on your family tree.
This is really interesting .
Do you think it would be worth posting a few of my unidentified relatives photos from Amble and thereabouts?
One does have Matthews written on it but which one I have no idea.
Thanks very much for the information you provided I am very grateful.
Ken Young
Old 27-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Hi Ken, yes please do post any photos. It is always a long shot but this website is relatively new - you never know who might come along with some information further down the line.
Old 27-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
[I should add the Thomas Young shown in the tree is a different Thomas Young to the one in the opening post, but they are both at one time in Lime Street, Ken's ancestor managing the Harbour inn, and mine a Mariner/Harbour Pilot]
Well thanks Coquet for sharing your tree, it looks like we're related Your Hannah White (1818) was the sister of my 2 x great grandmother, Margaret. Heaven help us
Old 28-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Well thanks Coquet for sharing your tree, it looks like we're related Your Hannah White (1818) was the sister of my 2 x great grandmother, Margaret. Heaven help us
Well that's fascinating! we will have common ancestors in the parents of Hannah and Margaret White? will we be [x] cousins, [y] removed then?

I have Thomas White [b. 1775] from Rennington as the father of Hannah, but you will have to tell me who his wife was as it all went in the 'too hard basket' about then.
Old 28-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgy52 View Post
Yes that is the Edward Matthews my grandfathers sister Elizabeth married and had six sons by. On the 1911 census Elizabeth has died and Edward Matthews is still living at 9 Lime st but now with his sister Eleanor as shown on your family tree.
This is really interesting .
Do you think it would be worth posting a few of my unidentified relatives photos from Amble and thereabouts?
One does have Matthews written on it but which one I have no idea.
Thanks very much for the information you provided I am very grateful.
Ken Young

Here is another [late] sister of Edward: July 1867.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morpeth_herald_6th_july_1867.jpg (122.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 28-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Well that's fascinating! we will have common ancestors in the parents of Hannah and Margaret White? will we be [x] cousins, [y] removed then?

I have Thomas White [b. 1775] from Rennington as the father of Hannah, but you will have to tell me who his wife was as it all went in the 'too hard basket' about then.
I think if Matthew and Isabell are your grandparents then we're probably 4th cousins, otherwise once removed, maybe

Thomas White married Hannah Bolam in Warkworth 22 Nov 1807, baptisms of children give loads of info but not for your Hannah. Thomas was baptised 21 May 1778 in Rennington, son of William and Margaret; Hannah, 14 March 1777 in Rothbury, daughter of Thomas and Margaret.
Old 28-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Many thanks Janwhin. That's filled in some gaps!
Old 29-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Regarding Thomas Young, Innkeeper.

On the Ebay auction site over the past couple of years there has been collections of old documents (Victorian/Edwardian) related to Amble being sold off. I bought one small lot myself which relates to one of the Amble Schools. The last 'lot' I remember seeing was plans etc for Eastgarth Avenue and other nearby property. I am not sure where these lots of documents are coming from originally but I think they are passing through an auction house in Carlisle that has frequent ephemera auctions. (being bought there by an ebayer and sold again online)
The original source? I can only think that one of the nearby solicitors is clearing out their redundant stored documents.

One lot, perhaps 18 months to two years ago was a vast collection related to Thomas Young, Innkeeper, Amble. Lots of deeds/indentures and property documents. A lot of stuff, perhaps a few kilos. I didn't bid unfortunately, but they are 'out there' somewhere.
Old 29-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

The Eastgarth one is still there:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1909-AMBLE...item5651d5cd41
Old 29-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgy52 View Post
Elizabeth , my grandfathers sister married Edward Matthews in approx. 1877 and they had six sons.
They were living at 9 Lime Street between 1891 and 1911.
Their sons names were Thomas young Matthews,born 1878
Matthew Matthews born 1879
Edward Matthews born 1881
John Thompson Matthews born 1883
William Matthews born 1886
Alexander Matthews born 1888
From looking at the 1911 census I can see Thomas Young Matthews was married to a Mary Ann but they had no children at this date.
Matthew Matthews was married to a Rachel Jane and they had a son John Edward Matthews age 3
Edward Matthews was married to a Mary THS and they had a girl called Mary Lillie age 4 and another girl called Elizabeth age 1.
John Thompson Matthews was married to Mary Jane Air and they had two daughters Elizabeth Young Matthews age 4 and Rosanna Matthews age 3.
William Matthews was married to Phyllis but at this date they had no children and
Alexander Matthews was also living with them and still single.
This is as far as I have got with the Matthews line but perhaps someone can relate to this information. I would be so happy to hear anything at all .
Kind Regards Ken Young
Ken, I don't know about current Matthews in Amble but on the 1926 Electoral Register on the sister site there are still a lot of Matthews listed. Have you thought about putting a letter in the "Ambler"?
Old 30-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Default thanks

Thank you for your help and suggestions, much appreciated.
I am currently uploading photos to an album on here. I also have other ancestors from Amble, my grandmother was a Barbara Anne Young, born 1863 , nee Burn/s , her father being George Burn/s, a master mariner and her mother being Barbara Burn/s, born approx. 1833, nee shade, Incidentally when George Burns her husband died she married a William Todd. All from Amble I believe.
Would be wonderful if anyone recognised any of the photos
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Good luck with the photo album.

I see John Thompson Matthews is in Northumbria Terrace on the 1918 Absent voters list and the 1926 electoral register. The absent voters list had him as 'discharged' with no other information so we don't know what unit he served in during the war.
Old 26-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I've purchased at a local auction the medals to an Amble WW1 fatality: 3771 Private Robert Henry Pringle, "D" Coy. 1st/7th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers.

His mother was Isabella Pringle. Her first husband (and Robert's father) died in 1907 and she remarried in 1911 - marrying your widower Edward Matthews senior from 9 Lime Street.

So a sort of family connection for me as well she married my Great Grandfather's uncle.

There's lot of interesting things going on with this medal set. Robert Pringle was quite the artist and produced some oil paintings, which have sadly just been split up at the same auction, although I got one of them (it's massive!).

His mother had a window dedicated to his memory in the Parish Church here in Amble, and I think she must have travelled to France to visit his grave as soon as she possibly could (1921) as I have her passport (as Isabella Matthews) which was issued specifically for a visit to the war graves.

Here's some of the original packaging for the medals etc addressed to 9 Lime Street:

Old 26-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Passport photo of Isabella Matthews 1921:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isabella_matthews_1921.jpg (70.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg isabella_matthews_1921b.jpg (140.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 26-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Wow, really interesting find Mike, thanks for sharing
Old 26-11-2013, 11:09 PM

That is quite something, Coquet. Shame about the oil paintings being split up, what did he paint?
Old 27-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
That is quite something, Coquet. Shame about the oil paintings being split up, what did he paint?
Highland Scenes - Stags on hillsides for 3 of them. The one now with the medals is of a rugged cross. Not sure why he would paint this, possibly for his mother on the death of his father.

pic below full of reflections but you get the idea:

Last edited by Coquet; 28-11-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add pic