Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 16-09-2015, 08:58 AM

Default Broomhill Colliery & its Families

For anyone interested, I've just had notification that the local branch of the Northumberland & Durham FHS is giving a talk at Alnwick on Tues October 6th, with the above title. The speaker is an Eleanor George.

The venue is usually Bailiffgate Museum but I expect the Gazette will have the details nearer the time.
Old 21-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Default NewburghLad

As may be seen from my Coquet and Coast "records" I was born at Newburgh in 1938 where my Father, Edward(Ned)Leslie Swan, was employed as an electrician in ONE OF THE LOCAL MINES. I have never,after much research, been able to discover which of the mines he was at. Would this forthcoming meeting/lecture be able to shed some light on my problem. I would dearly love to attend and hopefully learn something,however, again from my "records" you will see I now live in deepest,darkest Somerset so to come and visit you all at this time would be quite impossible. I am open to any ideas,suggestions or tips from you or any-one else. If it were possible who might I get in touch with prior to the meeting/lecture for advice and/or help.
Happy Regards,
NewburghLad.
Old 21-09-2015, 09:10 PM

Unfortunately I won't be around on that date as I would have liked to attend. I'll see if I can get hold of a transcription of the talk if that is possible.
Before my dad was married he lived with his family at Cross Row, South Broomhill. He was friends with some Swans who lived nearby. I recall Phil because he was related to one of my school friends but not any other family members. That wouldn't be your family would it? To put it in context, my dad was born in 1914.
Old 21-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default Identifying a Miner's Colliery.

The soon to be published 1939 records probably won't help either. I was hoping they might have some extra detail when compared to the censuses, but it looks like it is going to be exactly the same, with the exception of recording if the person is a member of the armed forces or not.

What information does the 1939 Register include?

What about contacting the National Union of Mineworkers? The National Archives have them listed as in possession of an archive of material.
It's also possible the Mineworkers' Pension Scheme just might have something.

Then there are the documents relating to Broomhill Collieries at Woodhorn. Lots of them. Some I'm sure will mention the men, Injury compensation books for instance. Such a search would be time consuming and not guaranteed to produce any result unfortunately.
Old 22-09-2015, 10:28 AM

NewburghLad, would your grandfather have been George Swan and his father Alexander?

Alexander Snr. appears in the local newspapers a few times. There is a family acknowledgement in 1935 following his death at 76 Station Road, Broomhill and a mention of the officials at Broomhill Colliery. In 1901 he is giving evidence in a case at the Alnwick Petty Sessions where his job is given as deputy overman, Broomhill Colliery.
George Swan of 78 Station Road gives evidence at an inquest in 1945, he is an overman at Broomhill Colliery.
There's a nice little newspaper article in 1916 based on a letter Alexander had received from his son, Corporal George Swan who was in charge of a band of snipers.
Old 22-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Default NewburghLad

Janwhin,my Grandfather(paternal)was indeed called George,however,there is no Alexander in our family tree except for my youngest Son.The fam tree shows 4 Georges,2 born 1839 and 1845 respectively at Norham(Tilmouth/Cornhill I suspect as this is where the fam originated) The other 2 born at Low Fell/Gateshead in 1910 and 1877 respectively the latter being my Grandfather.
The fact that George was at Broomhill makes me wonder if this was indeed where my Father worked and may be there was some kind of relationship. My Father may have secured his position because of this ??
This has been a most valuable and interesting correspondance and I'd like to thank you Janwhin for your time,effort and patience,it is much appreciated.
Old 22-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions.I have previously looked into the Nat Un of M' workers but will do so again with renewed energy. The M'workers Pen Scheme is new to me so will certainly look onto that.As for Woodhorn:- I have had E-mail, Internet and personal contact with them and,frankly,they have been of no use what-so-ever.
But no matter,you have rekindled my enthusiasm.
Again many thanks,
NewburghLad.
Old 22-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Regarding the talk on Broomhill Colliery next month, I've been promised a copy of the minutes of the meeting and the talk. Hopefully we'll be able to extract something from those of interest.