Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Other Northumberland Miscellanea

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Thanks holydog. I wonder if she was buried in the churchyard at Stanners where they lived...(hint...hint)
There's an Elizabeth Jane Hume in our transcriptions for the Beach Road Cemetery....but 'inscription obscured with lichen' I've written. Typical innit!

Warkworth Beach Road Cemetery, Monumental Inscriptions
Old 20-12-2016, 12:35 PM

Thanks Mike - I have looked at all the records you have on the site. There was an Elizabeth Hume of Dial Place on the 1911 census so more likely her.
This Elizabeth Smailes's youngest daughter Isabella died in Middleton St in 1908 and I always thought she would be laid to rest with her mother but cant find it....and then her eldest son William got killed in that mining accident in 1915...but this seems to be the norm in those days.
Old 20-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Sorry Gordon got the Hume / Smailes maiden/married name mixed up.

Have you checked the cemetery registers for warkworth?
Old 20-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Have we a photo of William Smailes' grave at the west cemetery?
Old 20-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Have we a photo of William Smailes' grave at the west cemetery?
Yes we do. Thought I had photographed the B section up there
I'm sure this is posted elsewhere but can't find it.

Old 20-12-2016, 02:31 PM

Hi - Yes I have seen this - William was her eldest son, her daughter Isabella (born after her father had lost his life to Typhoid) died at his house aged 16 on Christmas eve 1908....so many tragedies.
Old 20-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks holydog. I wonder if she was buried in the churchyard at Stanners where they lived...(hint...hint)
Sorry just noticed the answer has been given on the thread ! It would be the new churchyard up the beach road, Coquet has photos!

Last edited by hollydog; 20-12-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 21-12-2016, 11:44 AM

William Smails is on the mining memorial......including the burial plot number at the West Cemetery!
Old 21-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Administrator

I think it's the burial place of Elizabeth Smailes, William's mother, drowned in the Coquet 1900 we are searching for Janwhin. Our Beach road cemetery gravestone photographs don't include a Smailes stone.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:52 AM

I've caught up now

According to the Morpeth Herald, she lived in Warkworth. so she'll be in the Beach Road cemetery but without a headstone. A trip to Woodhorn by someone to check the burials!
Old 22-12-2016, 12:34 PM

Hi – Sorry I seem to have hijacked this thread.

I don’t know what the names of the cemeteries like Beach road are but have found that Elizabeth’s Brother, James Dodds Hume buried 4 of their 8 dead children locally – two named William Smart Hume at Chevington, and One of the two James Dodds Hume’s (junior’s) and a Sarah McGill Hume at Amble East – others were buried at Morpeth. So if any of those are a Beach road cemetery it may be relevant to the location.
Janwhin – I couldn’t get a transcription of Elizabeth’s drowning from the Morpeth Herald it was a bad link?
Thanks all. Gordon.
Old 22-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Beach Road cemetery is a Warkworth cemetery Gordon, a replacement for St Lawrence Churchyard which was full by the latter part of the 19th century.They were digging through multiple old graves for new burials in St Lawrence's Churchyard at the start of the 19th century so a new burial ground was past due.

Here they are in relation to each other.
St Lawrence's was built in the 12th Century, but within its footprint is a Saxon church, so there could have been burials there for 1500+ years. A lot of bodies in that small place.

Old 23-12-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Hi – Sorry I seem to have hijacked this thread.

Janwhin – I couldn’t get a transcription of Elizabeth’s drowning from the Morpeth Herald it was a bad link?
Thanks all. Gordon.
Gordon, it is a bad link, but the text seemed to suggest by the mention of ..."worth" that she was of Warkworth and of course they were living there in 1891!
Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Yes we do. Thought I had photographed the B section up there
I'm sure this is posted elsewhere but can't find it.

Hi – The site is pretty quiet at the moment so I thought I would ask a question.

William & Mary Jane Smailes had one more child (who survived) a daughter called Maggie who married a Mariner called Benjamin Rodney Howell (1903-1948)
They are listed as living 9 Blackwood Street on the 1939 census and BRH is listed as Coxswain R.A.F. Marine Craft – Master Mariner.

Mary Jane had married again (to AG Harrison) and was still living in William Smailes’s house at 8 Blackwood St with Eileen the daughter from her second marriage.
AG Harrison was with his parents on the 1939 census? and they have used her Smailes rather than Harrison surname on this gravestone? (her maiden name was Richardson)

Anyone know what Coxswain R.A.F. Marine Craft – Master Mariner was? He died shortly after the war? And I would love to know what happened to Maggie as she was not mentioned in her husbands will so assume she died before him and left no descendants from William Smailes line.
Was wondering if there was any local knowledge around.
Cheers Gordon.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Administrator

The marine craft would be the RAF air/sea rescue launch based at the north side of the harbour.

The Acklington record book says for oct 21 1939 "Marine Section, Amble, F/O. Druce commanding, move en bloc to JURBY, I.O.M"

So did he (Howell) go to the IOM as well?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Gordon, it's a bit strange why Mary Jane was buried as a Smailes rather than a Harrison. She is in the death registers as Harrison and I've noticed a probate record for her. I don't know if you have it already but it states:
"Mary Jane Harrison of 8 Blackwood Street, Amble (wife of Alexander Gordon Armstrong Harrison), died 26 January 1940. Probate to Joseph Ernest Archer, solicitor and Margaret Howell (wife of Benjamin Rodney Howell)...."
Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 PM

Hi - yes thanks Janwin I have the record, no mention of Mr Harrison on her will so I am thinking they may have fallen out. Mr Harrisons, grandson occasionally looks at this site so he may have something to add.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I've seen " J. Robson, Alnwick" CDVs before but found one marked "J. Robson Alnwick & Amble". Not sure where that Amble studio was. Cannot find any information in the papers regarding Amble. The Alnwick studio was in Chapel Lane.

Old 14-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Found this one last week on Evilbay, it's a CdV rather than a postcard. Another permutation of Amble photographers, this time 'Sample & Barsted'.

The image is Amble but it took me a bit to 'get it'. how about you???

Old 15-10-2017, 12:21 PM

That's a great photo with all sorts of things going on. What's that bloke standing inside a shelter in the haystack doing?

My money's on Gordon Street and they're taking some hay off the dunes