Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 PM

Smile The Drift kitchen shops

I've been reading the Forums posts on the businesses of Burton & Richardson Mineral Water Company & The Norfolk Tucks and it got me thinking about the small kitchen shops of Miners wives at the Drift. I can remember at least 6 of them ,1on Hedgehope , 1 on Hartside & 3 on Simonside plus 1 at the Tute which came later. I know its not on the same scale of the others but they were very much used by the community that was the Drift. They sold everything from sugar to fireworks . The one on Hedgehope was run by Mary Morton , Simonside being Dolly Potts, Betty Douglas , Bella Tait , Hartside Mrs Lee/Leigh not sure of the spelling & last but not least Edna Sowinski . Any bids on 6 ? I've fond memories of them all.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 AM

My brother in law's brain cells are working overtime here, as luck would have it he's sitting next to me Pompey (Jimmy) White on Hartside; Mr and Mrs Shepherd at Simonside; Hakin (or Hagan), the Preacher man, Simonside; Nancy Davison, Hedgehope. There's another name lurking but he can't pull it yet. The Tute was his aunt and uncle Thornton.

Last edited by janwhin; 08-09-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up The Drift kitchen shops

I'm pleased your brother-in-laws brain cells were working over time as I had forgotten wee Nancy Davison who was a friend of my mothers. Thanks janwhins brother-in-law.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:49 PM

Smile drift shops

im sure lizzie rutter had a shop and doris coates
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Are Lizzie Rutter and Mrs Lee one and the same?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Default drift shops

no they were sisters, lizzie rutter and edie lee,
Old 13-10-2020, 11:57 AM

Default Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
My brother in law's brain cells are working overtime here, as luck would have it he's sitting next to me Pompey (Jimmy) White on Hartside; Mr and Mrs Shepherd at Simonside; Hakin (or Hagan), the Preacher man, Simonside; Nancy Davison, Hedgehope. There's another name lurking but he can't pull it yet. The Tute was his aunt and uncle Thornton.
Janwhin, is this Nancy Davison on top of the see-saw. My mother is at the bottom but don't know the chap at the back. I suspect it was one of their many 'awaydays'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seesaw.jpg (50.3 KB, 14 views)