Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 04-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Default Bob Taylor MP

One person we haven't said anything about is the Broomhill pit lad who became the Labour MP for the Morpeth constituency in 1935 and served until his death in 1954. He was also a privy councillor and CBE.
The reason I know about him is that during the early 1900s he was employed by the Miners' Federation to discover the conditions for miners in the USA and Australia. He met up with my granddad in Australia, and they worked their passage back to England in about 1904.

The attached photograph shows them homebound on the ship. Bob Taylor is the tall chap on the left. My granddad is on the right. The guy in the middle was the person who went out to Australia with my granddad in 1902 but I've yet to find out who he was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04~John Whinham-Passage from Aust.jpg (100.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Administrator

The Hansard reports now online have the transcripts for the House of Commons, so you can find out exactly what our politicians were up to in the past:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/p...bert-taylor-2/

click in the yearly list.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 AM

On the subject of MP's are you aware we had an MP who came from Radcliffe? He was Jimmy Johnson who went on to become a labour MP for Kingston on Hull I believe. He went to Radcliffe school and maybe also the Duke School, born about 1904/5 and was a friend/ school pal of two of my uncles.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Well isn't that interesting, it seems locally born MPs only live on in the family memory!

I see that he was MP for Rugby from 1950 to 1959 and then for Hull West, 1964 to 1983. Born in 1908 apparently and did go to the Duke School and Leeds University.

He is on the 1911 census, living with his parents, James and Mary Elizabeth, in Long Row North, Radcliffe.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the confirmation janwhin, if he was born 1908 he must have been in my mothers class at school as she was Nov 1908.