Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Default Pettigrew Arms

While trying to fill in some of the detail in my family tree, I came across a report in the Morpeth Herald of 23rd January 1909 that one of my ancestors, William McCloud, was charged with Breach of the Peace at the Pettigrew Arms, North Broomhill. I thought that I new the “North End” pretty well but I’ve never heard of a pub by that name.

The Broomhill Hotel was trading at least 10 years prior to that date so it doesn’t seem likely that the Pettigrew Arms was the original name of that establishment. Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 PM

A coal hewer living at Coronation Terrace aka the tinpots? North Broomhill
Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserj View Post
While trying to fill in some of the detail in my family tree, I came across a report in the Morpeth Herald of 23rd January 1909 that one of my ancestors, William McCloud, was charged with Breach of the Peace at the Pettigrew Arms, North Broomhill. I thought that I new the “North End” pretty well but I’ve never heard of a pub by that name.

The Broomhill Hotel was trading at least 10 years prior to that date so it doesn’t seem likely that the Pettigrew Arms was the original name of that establishment. Anyone else got any ideas?
In 1901 according to the census Henry L Pettigrew was living in East Chevington and was an Innkeeper. He employed a barman, a groom and three domestic servants, and when he died in 1945 he left almost £30,000 in his will, so he must have been successful. Unfortunately it still gives no clue as to where the Pettigrew Arms was in Broomhill.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Kelly's Directory for 1914 lists John Pettigrew at the Broomhill Inn, most likely the Trap don't you think?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:51 PM

In 1892 according to the newspapers, Henry Pettigrew was landlord of the Broomhill Hotel and John was his brother, a landlord at Chevington. In 1898 when an attempt was made to erect another pub, Pettigrew's licensed premises were described as 14 rooms in all, including a bar, four tap rooms, and one very large room. There were 5 male servants and four female. The proposed premises were over a quarter of a mile away.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Default Pettigrew Arms

Just a thought as I have no documentary evidence but, could the Pettigrew Arms have been the forerunner of The Grey Arms, Red Row? Mention of staff suggests an establishment of some considerable size, along with records of where family resided.
Just my muse that a change of ownership could have given a name change.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
Just a thought as I have no documentary evidence but, could the Pettigrew Arms have been the forerunner of The Grey Arms, Red Row? Mention of staff suggests an establishment of some considerable size, along with records of where family resided.
Just my muse that a change of ownership could have given a name change.
That would make Pettigrews opposite Petticas if it had been the case and it had retained its name!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Pettigrew Arms

That is correct for your siting but the Pettica garage was not built until the 1940's. Perhaps, I am not sure, but if the Pettica Bros became owners of The Grey Arms that would be the only connection.
Old 13-01-2017, 12:11 AM

All the old maps from 1866 onwards (that's as far back as I have got) show the Broomhill Hotel as being the only pub/ hotel until the Social Club was opened. I would say it's the only candidate. Perhaps he just named the bar the Pettigrew Arms and kept the hotel separate?
Old 13-01-2017, 04:55 PM

I'm glad that some others have come to the same conclusion as me. It has to be either the Broomhill Hotel or the Grey Arms but given that the original newspaper report that set me thinking quite clearly said Pettigrew Arms, North Broomhill then I can only assume that it is the Broomhill Hotel.

In the 1911 Census Henry Pettigrew has moved to Cramlington so he possibly named the hotel after himself while he owned it. When he died in 1945 his address was The Grove, Gosforth which at the time was one of the most expensive streets in Newcastle so he did very well out of selling beer to miners.
Old 14-11-2021, 02:48 PM

Default The Grey Arms 1901 newspaper article

Opened in 1902 with a 1000 year lease. It didn't last a 100 years and the temperance side of it seemed to be forgotten very quickly with drunkenness, fights and serving after time reported soon after opening
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grey Arms 1901.JPG3 (2).JPG (134.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Grey Arms 1901.JPG2 (2).JPG (106.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Grey Arms 1901 (2).JPG (121.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by borderlad; 14-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.