Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 21-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Default New member

Hi
I lived in Red Row and Broomhill as a child, and now live in the south. I have been working on the family tree, and like many others regret that I did not ask more questions of the older generation. I hope that members might help fill in some gaps.
Old 22-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Hi Raffles, welcome to the forum!
Old 09-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Hi
I came across the Coquet and coast forum a year or two ago, well done to the members and subscribers to the forum.
My family came from Chevington Drift back in the day, my Grandparents William Green and his wife Mary Green (Nee Common) lived in Hedgehope Terrace ( maybe 36) in Chevington Drift 50's & 60's. They had 4 children Molly, John, Edna and Ernie Green.
Molly Green married Charles Guillon also from the drift abd lived at 76 Simmonsude Terrace before moving to Hadston when the drift was demolished. My Uncle John Green married Evelyn and lived in Swarland Terrace before moving into the Welfare Park. My Mother Edna married a Southerner John Buckingham ( not very well received by all accounts from family conversations I understand). Ernie Green built a house for his new wife Winnie next to The Petigrew's garage on Main Street but later moved away after problems with the garage owner. Saw a feature in the "News of the World"...
Spent so many happy summers in Red Row, I'm travelling up this weekend ( August 2018) to visit St John's Church in Hadston with some flowers.
Keep up the good work to everyone involved in this forum.
All the very best

Mick B.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:25 PM

Welcome to the forum Mick, we'll be related then! Mary Green (nee) Common was my mother's cousin. My grandmother was Theodosia Common but all the Drift/Hadston Commons are descended from her brother, John.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Welcome to the forum Mick, we'll be related then! Mary Green (nee) Common was my mother's cousin. My grandmother was Theodosia Common but all the Drift/Hadston Commons are descended from her brother, John.
I attended southbroomhill secondary modern school 1965/69 In my class there was a David Common and Amanda Common both from the drift i think they were cousins .
Old 12-08-2018, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I noticed, Janwhin, after doing the ancestry DNA test that you appeared in my 'cousins' list. Reassuring that it confirmed my paper research which you noted a while back. Was it Hannah White that was our shared ancestor? anyway, is she on the Drifter 'Common' side?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:54 AM

Well, what about that.....I'll have to take a look at my DNA matches again. It was Hannah White and that is down my "Gray" family line. My maternal grandfather was George Gray and he was married to Theodosia Common. My cousin on that side is David Gray of Puffin Cruises so you're related to him too! My two times great grandmother (married a Gray) was Margaret White who was Hannah's sister.

Funny thing DNA, I got my sister's DNA tested and although fortunately we are immediate family, she does throw up some different names to me. All depends what bits you've inherited.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Funny thing DNA, I got my sister's DNA tested and although fortunately we are immediate family, she does throw up some different names to me. All depends what bits you've inherited.
I wasn't aware of that. I think 'findmypast' have started doing the DNA testing too. It would be interesting to do it with them as well and see what differences turn up. (if it wasn't so expensive)
Old 14-08-2018, 10:17 AM

I've found the Lost Cousins website useful in trying to understand better all the different DNA tests. As expected the leader of the pack is Ancestry with by far the biggest database. Apparently 23AndMe is next but most people use that for medical purposes and they've recently done a tie up with Glaxo Smith Kline.
FindmyPast uses LivingDNA which Lost Cousins also recommends. I noticed at the bottom of FindmyPast's blurb that you can submit your Ancestry results and get them done for free!
Old 14-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Default How Strange

Quote:
Thank you Janwhin for your welcome message, it's a bit strange to find out on line that you're related to someone you've never met.

I've never really looked into my family history but I have handed over my emotional bond with Red Row and this beautiful part of the country to my grown up children, on the understanding that they keep it a secret. Otherwise it will end up like Cornwall.
I have taken my family to St John's Churchyard in Hadston/Red Row, we went there on Sunday 12th August 2018. The Green Family, The Common Family and the Lillico families are all well represented in the Cemetery. My Aunt Molly Guillon (Nee Green) lived in Hadston ( after the Drift) and was very involved with St John's Church. I came up from London for her Funeral 2010 (ish) to find she had made a lot of the Pew Cushions in the Church in her twi-light years.
My Mother, Edna Green's cousin Bob Common lived in Aldershot Hampshire, but our family list touch with the Commons side if the family as my Ma Edna died in 1966.

All the very best.
Mick