Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 23-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Default Whittle Colliery

Hello, I'm interested in information and photographs about Whittle and shilbottle colliery's,I worked at both of them between 1977-1987
Old 23-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Hi Electricbrewer, welcome to the forum.

There is a series of underground photos for Whittle (from before your time there) hidden away at the National Archives. One day I hope to get some copies!

This will take you back in the meantime (from another thread on here):

Old 23-12-2013, 06:45 PM

He is an interesting one (Hopefully) Whittle drift under construction circa 1965 ish, with the "tower" behind .Looking at the face-plans on the map you will notice that there never was a Y13, rumor had it it was bad luck to name a face with the number thirteen, then again you did have thirteen west.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whittle drift under construction.jpg (97.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Electricbrewer; 23-12-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Nice picture EB, thanks for sharing.
Old 24-12-2013, 07:58 AM

I think the drift construction was nearer the 1960 mark as it was up and running when the Whittle lads were coming to Hauxley to do their face training.
This was from1963 until 1965. Hauxley was the group training face where all the face trainees came from Shilbottle and Whittle.
From 1966 they went to Shilbottle West winnings right side as Hauxley was being run down prior to closure.
In the North East side of Shilbottle there was also no thirteen, it went straight from 12 North East to 14 North East.
Incidently it was in 14 NE mothergate where a deputy was killed by a fall of stone on his way inbye in July 1968, so did trying to avoid superstition work??
Old 26-12-2013, 10:09 AM

nice photo , it looks like the manriding set is in use mabe the men started to go down the drift but no coal belt instoreled
Old 30-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Default More Whittle Drift

Here are two more of Whittle Colliery Drift top under construction, One from a hole in the ground ,I wouldn't fancy the job of "winning it out" I bet it was fun when it rained!
Old 31-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Nice. Is that the cable belt? I wonder if they won it out with the cable belt or if the tunnelling is more or less complete in that photo?

On the subject of water on the Drift, I remember there were a couple of wet patches. One winter, a really nasty winter, the water running in from the roof started to freeze. The ice got so bad the rails for the manriding set disappeared under the ice and ice started to from all around the sides with enormous thick icicles hanging down from the roof. It was effectively trying to close up with ice.
Now as the manriding set was out of action, we all had to walk down. Have you ever tried to walk down a 30 degree slope of wet ice? Fun and games I can tell you. It was like a crazy 50 man circus act. 'Elf and safety - pah!
Old 31-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Those were the days

I remember that winter well, myself Bob Burley & Geordie Story had the pleasure of doing inline cable jointing every two hundred meters on two 185mm armored cables, the inline cable joints relied on the temperature of your hands to stretch the self-amalgamating insulating tape, the drift temperature hit -22c,mind saying that Davey Moor the deputy electrical engineer did pay us 50p a day extra and we were allowed to carry flame safety lamps to thaw out our fingers, taking rest-bite in the refuge holes, oh happy days.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Administrator

EB found your Whittle album!

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...php?albumid=14

GMT Curve. and the Drift bottom. Now that takes me back.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Yeah, keep walking straight ahead 600 yards in this one and you enter the magical kingdom of Shilbottle Colliery.