Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Newburgh Colliery and Broomhill Overlays

Ok, here are the overlays for Broomhill Colliery and Newburgh Colliery with Radcliffe on too. If you look at the South West corner of the Newburgh map or the North East corner of the Broomhill map you can still see the shadow of the old track bed (I labelled it as the Amble Branch line but I don't think it is...someone out there will know) running through the field!

I included an image of that too, incorrectly labelled and all!

* Please note, just found out that the Newburgh zip is too large, I'll have to upload at a later date when I have found a way to make it smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broomhill_colliery_overlay.jpg (96.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Newburgh_colliery_overlay.jpg (123.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Amble branch track bed.jpg (110.5 KB, 112 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Broomhill Colliery.zip (92.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Track bed.

That was the colliery railway which ran from Broomhill through Radcliffe to Amble, it was joined at two places by lines from Newburgh and Hauxley collieries along it's length.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:56 PM

The two fields in question and the one immediately across the road were never opencasted. Rumour has it that at the south east corner of the field to the left of the road there was a drift uncovered headed north towards and under the farm. In addition the drag line uncovered three full tubs of coal near the surface on the drift incline. Anyone confirm this and the drift in question?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
The two fields in question and the one immediately across the road were never opencasted. Rumour has it that at the south east corner of the field to the left of the road there was a drift uncovered headed north towards and under the farm. In addition the drag line uncovered three full tubs of coal near the surface on the drift incline. Anyone confirm this and the drift in question?

Is it the East Togston Drift? we mentioned it in this post:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...6&postcount=23
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

1954 map:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg togston_east_farm_railway_line_and_drift_1954.jpg (122.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM

It probably is, I had a chat with the engineer who kindly let us look at the Radcliffe mine plans this afternoon. The opencast lads had the coal but he thinks the tubs may still be down there as it was under the field which was not dug up when they went down the incline and found them. He is also making an attempt at tracking down the opencast survey photos mentioned in another thread as well.
Excuse the pun! but he is a mine of information, telling me about the dragline uncovering the drift at Chevington at the outset and going down the steps into the first area below the surface, elf and safety would not like that sort of thing now!

Last edited by hollydog; 12-06-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Interesting to see a few fields left intact!

Here's the disused Newburgh Colliery from that 1954 map. There was a short terrace of houses there too - "Sea View" - looks like four houses on that map.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newburgh_colliery_bondicar.jpg (61.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Wink East Togston Drift

Coquet, you are correct as above with your cross referance to another map.
The drift is East Togston which I used to walk down when I worked as a timber laddie in the Prince seam. Williamtheyounger will also confirm this as he visited his father many times who worked on the rolley way landing at the drift. When in the foreshift my week could only start at midnight because I was under twentyone years old. (Not allowed, by law, to work on a sunday. The World has changed a lot since then.)
Just as an aside, I often heard a story that a butchers cart drifted off the track to Coldrife Farm during snow and was swallowed up when it fell into old workings. I was hoping that the story would be confirmed by opencast work but have just learned that those fields were left untouched. If true they will still be down there, but also, could just be another story to go unproven.
Old 13-06-2013, 06:21 AM

I heard the story of the horse and cart about 30 years ago from the farmer at Low Hall, I understood it to be in the opencast area just south of the new beach road nearer to where Coldrife was. I will ask if Joe still remembers next time I see him.
Old 15-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I heard the story of the horse and cart about 30 years ago from the farmer at Low Hall, I understood it to be in the opencast area just south of the new beach road nearer to where Coldrife was. I will ask if Joe still remembers next time I see him.
Now I find out, the butcher was my uncle Jimmy Rowell and his horse and cart!!
Old 15-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Angry Re; Jimmy Rowell

The incident must have happened sometime in the 30's. You appear to come from an unlucky family. Was this not the house at North Togston that a plane crashed onto during WW2? Andy, (Second name not known) was the butcher to my family at North Broomhill. He worked for Rowell's of Amble whose house recieved the direct hit, and did his rounds by horse and cart. Andy only had one eye which he recieved, according to my mother, when the aircraft accident happened. Was he listed as one of the injured?
The above is only hearsay as I have nothing to back her story at all.

Last edited by Derilda; 15-06-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding to content
Old 15-06-2013, 09:22 PM

It was the Robson family who lost their 5 children at North Togston in an accident which is well documented elsewhere. The confusion arises in your recollection possibly because Jimmy Rowell was downstairs in the house that night, he rescued the tail gunner, the only crewman to survive from the Stirling bomber.I have not come across an Andy being involved in any way in what happened though.

The uncanny coincidence is that Will and Norah Robson were my mum's aunty and uncle, Jimmy Rowell my father's uncle, my paremts being 3 and 4 at the time! so yes an unlucky chapter.

Last edited by hollydog; 15-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 16-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Default Butcher Andy.

This was Andy Moffatt who worked for Jimmy Rowell and also for the Amble Co-oP later on. I don't know how he lost his eye but it may have been during the war as he was one of the original commandos who trained in Scotland prior to operations abroad. He was a big man and ended his days living at Low Hall ( Laa Haa) farm near Amble. He liked a game of bingo at the Bede Street Club.
Old 16-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Default re: Rowell Family etc

Many thanks Hollydog and Alan J for correcting my assumptions. Keep up the good work.
Old 21-06-2013, 01:03 PM

hi, i lived at seaview newburgh,until sept 64. i was 11yrs when my dad moved to welbeck pit, notts....there was a terrace of 7 houses. no1 the end nearest the pit was the managers house,the maughns lived there,we were at no 5 and percy summers lived at no 7...my dads name was alex baptist
Old 21-06-2013, 01:34 PM

Hi Newburgh, welcome to the forum, I don't think there will be many about who can say they lived there!
Any memories, photos etc - this is the place
Old 21-06-2013, 10:54 PM

thanks hollydog,yes lots of good memories,only two bad ones,,,the day my cousin jimmy guy drown along the beach at chevington,i was eight at the time and the day we had to move from newburgh...i think my sisters got a couple of pics of when we were at newburgh will investigate.we all lived pretty close in those days..amble radcliffe hauxley newburgh the drift red row broomhill etc. and now were all over.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
It was the Robson family who lost their 5 children at North Togston in an accident which is well documented elsewhere. The confusion arises in your recollection possibly because Jimmy Rowell was downstairs in the house that night, he rescued the tail gunner, the only crewman to survive from the Stirling bomber.I have not come across an Andy being involved in any way in what happened though.

The uncanny coincidence is that Will and Norah Robson were my mum's aunty and uncle, Jimmy Rowell my father's uncle, my paremts being 3 and 4 at the time! so yes an unlucky chapter.
the Robson children are remembered by having streets named after them (Robsons Way, last estate leaving Amble on route to Togston)
God Bless
Old 28-06-2013, 11:07 PM

always wondered where Newburgh was, cheers
Old 30-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newburgh View Post
thanks hollydog,yes lots of good memories,only two bad ones,,,the day my cousin jimmy guy drown along the beach at chevington,i was eight at the time and the day we had to move from newburgh...i think my sisters got a couple of pics of when we were at newburgh will investigate.we all lived pretty close in those days..amble radcliffe hauxley newburgh the drift red row broomhill etc. and now were all over.
Hi there i remember the drownings at Druridge bay ,2 cousins caught out by the tide.Was in the same class at school with Jims brother Brian