Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Default Green and Douglass Builders/Quarriers in Amble

As part of my researches into the Douglas/Douglass family who were tenant farmers at Bondicar Farm from the late 1870s through to the early 1970s, I'm looking into the building/quarrying firm of Green and Douglas who were in Amble from 1879 (that's the earliest reference that I've found) upto maybe the 1930s.

I've found a number of newspaper articles about contracts that the firm was awarded (although I can only see somewhat garbled transcripted extracts at present), and they seem to have had premises at Queen Street/High Street, Amble, and seem to have worked the Denham, Amble and Link quarries.
I've found references to the firm in an 1888 Warkworth Trades directory and the 1894 Kellys Directory, but they give no details.

I am trying to find the first name of Mr Douglas.

I was under the impression that the partners were John Green and Andrew Douglas, but the November 5th 1898 article in the Morpeth Herald about John Green's death seems to say that 'he entered into partnership with the late Mr Thomas Douglas, Amble'.

I would be very grateful if any of you expert local historians could provide any information, or point me towards any sources where I might find more about the activities and personnel in this firm, particularly who the Mr Douglas was ?

Many thanks,
Brian Knott.
Merseyside.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.
I'll just add a transcript of that article for posterity before anything else is added to this thread.

Morpeth Herald 5th of November 1898

Doings at Amble
During the week there has passed away, in the person of Mr John Green, of Warkworth, one who, though not resident was a very familiar figure in the streets of the rising town. The deceased gentleman was partner of the firm of Green and Douglas, who were leasees of the Link Quarries from which the principal part of the town of Amble has been built. For the past decade Amble has been noted not only for the large number of contractors who hail from the seaside town, but also of their ability to compete against all comers; and not the least noteworthy of these was the highly respected firm of Green and Douglas. Some of their largest contracts was the Amble sewage, the extensive alterations to the County Asylum, and the Morpeth Police Station. They were also leasees of the extensive quarries at Denwick, from which this noted stone is sent all over the United Kingdom. The deceased gentleman took an active and sincere interest in the affairs of his native village, and was exceedingly proud of Warkworth, with its ancient baronial pier, its beautiful scenery, and, above all, its intensely interesting history. After the death of Mr Douglas, Mr Green took his sons into partnership, and the firm is now known as Green and Sons, one of which is mine host of the sun hotel, Warkworth. The deceased was interred at Warkworth on Wednesday, and was followed to the grave by a large concourse of relatives and friends.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Administrator

This one is the Parochial Committee discussing the Amble Sewerage Works, mentioned in the article above.
I think we can go for 'Thomas Douglas' for his name?

Alnwick Mercury 4th May 1878

Amble Drainage
The clerk read the following minutes of the last meeting of the Amble Parochial Committee, with the documents thereto annexed: —
“Amble Parochial Committee, April 25th 1878.
The ordinary monthly meeting of this committee being held, where there were present, Dr T.Currie, in the chair; Messrs. J. Douglas, E.Spence, Thomas Leighton, R.G. McInnes, W.Gibson (clerk), and Thomas Douglas, (contractor).
The following report was read: —
Amble, April 18th, 1878.
To the Amble Parochial Committee.
Gentlemen, — I beg to report that the ratepayers of the township of Amble have had under their consideration two schemes for the completion of the Amble Sewage Works. I have therefore been instructed to inform you that Mr Fulton’s plan has met with unanimous approval of the ratepayers.
Here with I submit copy of resolution passed at such meeting (held on the 16th inst.) also annexed is Mr Fulton’s plan.
I am, Sir, your obedient servant, W.Gibson, Assistant Overseer.
(Copy of Resolution)
Moved by M.H.Dand, Esq., Seconded by William Kinnear, Esq. — That Mr Fulton’s scheme be entrusted to Mr Thomas Douglas, contractor, for his consideration and that he be requested to send in to the Amble Parochial Committee his estimate for carrying out the work according to Mr Fulton’s plan, and if the Parochial Committee consider it satisfactory, that the forward the whole matter to the Alnwick Rural Sanitary Authority for their consideration and approval.
With regard to the above committee recommended that the wishes of the ratepayers be complied with, viz. — That Mr Fulton scheme be adopted for the completion of the sewage works.
The committee considers Mr T. Douglas’s tender a very satisfactory one, and they strongly recommend that the authority should proceed with the completion of the sewage works at once.
The committee recommends that proper ventilators be put in that part of the sewer between the lower end of Queen Street and the Harbour. The committee recommends that Mr James Calder be appointed clerk of works as before.
The committee begs to call attention of the Inspector to foul stinks, and branch drains stopped up, at Messrs Earsdon and Flintoff’s property situated in church Street, Amble.
The following is a copy of Mr Fulton’s report alluded to above: —
Town Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, 10th of April.
W.Gibson, Esq., Assistant Overseer, Amble.
Dear Sir, — I have carefully considered the points connected with the alteration of the outfall sewer at Amble to which you drew my attention when here last week, and now beg to hand you the following report and estimate.
I decidedly object to the proposal to allow the presence are to remain unaltered between the points B and F on section sent herewith, because a considerable portion of the sewer at the place in question has actually the fall the wrong way, and the whole of the sewer has such a flat or nearly level gradient, that we must have all of fall we can obtain between the inlet and outlet as shown by the red line on the section.
The cost of relaying the sewer from A to B would only amount of £52, as per estimate on the other side hereof, and it would be a fatal mistake to allow it to remain as it is for the saving of so small sum..
I append an estimate for the remainder of the work, along with such recommendations as I deem requisite. [The total estimate is £250 5s]
the estimated cost of constructing remainder of fireclay 12 inch tubular sewer from Y to Z is £49 1s 6d., But this portion of the sewer as well as the laying cast iron pipes from Z to A, is still the subject of a contract.
Should I be mistaken in this, I shall thank you to send me the price of the 12 inch cast iron pipes (Per lineal yard) which I understand are all on the ground, and then, if requisite, I shall send you an estimate for completing this portion of the sewer also. I think it will be unnecessary to use timber for laying the cast iron pipes, as they may be more safely laid amongst the stones behind the jetty, care being taken have them properly covered with stones and properly bedded amongst them.
I may mention that I have consulted a respectable contractor here, who would be willing to carry out the work for the prices I have named in my estimate, but it may be possible to obtain a local contractor who would do it for less. Trust to hear from you, I am, dear sir, very truly yours, J.Fulton.
Mr T. Douglas in his tender proposed to execute the work required in the alteration of his contract according to plans and reports prepared by Mr Fulton, to really Harbour sewers and carry them to outlet, and to take up the relay Bridge Street sewer omitted by Mr Fulton, and to form proper mason work protection for tide valve outlet pipe, and to deliver Victoria Street sewer at the gut bridge as proposed, for the sum of £338; deducting £75 9s 6d for work not executed as per original contract the amount for the new work was £262 10s 6d.
The report of the Parochial Committee and scheme of Mr Fulton, C.E., were approved, and Mr Douglas’ tender being considered satisfactory was accepted.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Administrator

So Thomas Douglas is alive in 1878, a mason/builder/contractor, and dead before 1898.

Reasonably likely that he is on the 1881 census: For Amble we have a Thomas Douglas, age 34, Builder, Church Street. Born Amble, wife Jane.

The 1891 Amble Census has him as "Contractor (Building)", age 44, now at Wynd House. It's very likely this is your man.

So dead between 1891 and 1898, there should be a probate record out there for him but I'm not having much luck finding it.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Did find probate:

Douglas Thomas of Amble Northumberland builder died 3 March 1897 Probate Newcastle Upon Tyne 21st of July to John Gray colliery-cashier William Johnson colliery manager and Frank Mosscrop builder's-clerk Effects £4518 2s 11d
Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Shields Daily Gazette 25 Feb 1897
Local & District News.
Illness of an Amble Gentleman. –We regret to hear that Mr. Douglas, quarry-owner, of Amble, a well-known gentleman in the North is at present seriously ill.

Shields Daily Gazette 4 March 1897
Local & District News.
Death of an Amble Tadesman. Early yesterday morning Mr. Thomas Douglas, contractor and quarry owner, Amble, died. Deceased was widely know in business circles, and had for many years served on local, district, and guardian councils.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Wow - I'm impressed - thankyou.

Many thanks for all that information, and provided so quickly as well.
That pretty much confirms that Thomas Douglas is his name, so, armed with all the dates that you've found, I can determine if he is one of 'my' Douglasses, though so far, it looks unlikely.
I much appreciate your time and trouble looking into this for me.
Thankyou,
Brian Knott, Merseyside.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Administrator

It's a pleasure.

I think this is his grave in Amble East Cemetery.

In affectionate remembrance of Dorothy, the beloved daughter of Thomas and Jane Douglas of Amble, who died July 21st 1879 aged 4 years. Margaret Ann daughter of the above, died March 29th 1891 aged 18 years. The above Jane Douglas died February 26th 1894 aged 46 years. Also the above Thomas Douglas who died March 3rd 1897 aged 50 years.

One of our number, Janwhin, did an index of burials for that cemetery. That appears to record a middle name for him. 'Thomas Wear Douglas'.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 PM

East Cemetery Burials do have him as Thomas Wear Douglas and he was of Wynd House. He also appears in the GRO death index with his full name.

He seems to have been the son of Robert and Ann Douglas. He started out his employment as a merchant seaman before turning to building work. On the 1871 census Thomas is at home in Walkers Buildings, age 25, a stone mason. His father's uncle is a Thomas Wear and is living with the family, working as a mason's labourer.

Robert Douglas (born Scotland) married an Ann Wear in 1847.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Administrator

I noticed that earlier occupation for Thomas on the 1861 census. A 'Mariner' at the ripe old age of 14. Also with them in Amble is Robert's nephew, David Douglas, aged 17, also a mariner.

The '51 census has Robert as a Quarryman, probably a desired trade in the district at that time of expansion. The chap may have cut the stones for the early buildings in Queen Street. [there's a transcription error at findmypast for Thomas's age on this return - '4' record as '11', but this return does show his middle initial 'W']