Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 16-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Default BBC Film

Some short films on coal mining in the north east including a fascinating insight into Radcliffe "lost" village

BBC Nation on Film__Coal Mining if anyone can post a link

Last edited by Pete; 16-04-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Not being clever enuff to post a link
Old 17-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Administrator

I think I know the clip you're thinking about and I can't get the direct link to work either, but it's the last link on this BBC page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/lo...mberland.shtml

Housing for Miners - New Housing ........Radcliffe is going to die....

(Radcliffe people soon to move to Amble)
Old 17-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Been racking my brain to try and remember the bbc interviewer's name. Michael Rodd it is.
Old 21-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Don't know his name, but the feller he was interviewing gave a good account of himself. It may have been a tin bath in front of the fire and a stand pipe in the street, but you can't buy a sense a community like that.

I had a job in Cotgrave, Notts three or four year ago and going for a pint after work, i was mobbed by a gang of old timers when they heard my accent. Turns out they'd moved down there in the 70's to work at the pit when Radcliffe came down. I had many a home cooked meal despite being 200 miles from home. Best folk in the world, us
Old 21-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

It all looks rather peaceful and idyllic, how times change.

Quote:
I had a job in Cotgrave, Notts three or four year ago and going for a pint after work, i was mobbed by a gang of old timers when they heard my accent. Turns out they'd moved down there in the 70's to work at the pit when Radcliffe came down. I had many a home cooked meal despite being 200 miles from home. Best folk in the world, us
I think there was a big recruiting drive for the nottinghamshire coalfields in the 70s, the Radcliffe men would've been ideal candidates
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 AM

Default my uncle was from radcliffe

hi

Last edited by amble; 14-09-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 22-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Default radcliffe and Hauxley Pit

Hi I watched the bbc footage and it brought back memories for me as I used to cycle from Hadston, past Radcliffe everyday when I worked as an apprentice fitter at Hauxley pit. At least 2 of the fitters I worked with came from radcliffe, Ronnie Scott was one, and I later played football with him for Red Row welfare. The other was Ernie Tulley a stout man, who at the time was a Northumberland County Counciler. I left Hauxley when I married my wife, and transferred to Newbiggin pit, where she came from. However the new seam they were developing was not going to work, so I transferred to Welbeck in Nottinghamshire in 1966, where I lived for 6 years. There were numerous miners from the radcliffe and Amble area. They still live there.
My dad used to drive the haulage engine at Coldrife Drift, and he told me when he left school, he started work as a riveter at a boat yard in Amble, I am not sure who he worked for.
Old 27-12-2010, 07:20 PM

There was a video made in the 70's I think about Chevington Drift(The village that wouldn't die?), not sure if anyone has a copy of it or not?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM

I am reliably informed that the interviewee from Radcliffe was a man named Temple Carruthers.
Also I remember a film crew spending a lot of time at the Drift circa 1975 although no one I know can remember the film ever being broadcast. It would be very interesting if this film was still in existance. Has anyone any suggestions as to how to find out?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM

The film was never broadcast John. I did find details of the production company who made the film and emailed them but never got a reply.
Pity cos it would be fascinating to see
Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Thankyou for the reply Pete. It would certainly be interesting. I remember them setting up an interview with some of the matriarchs in my Mam's back kitchen. Would it be worth trying to contact the company again?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Default The Drift: the village that wouldn't die

Hi John, for some reason i can't post links on here, but if you go to the British Film Institutes(BFI) website it appears they have the film archived.
If you follow the links on the webpage you can find contact details.Hopefully you may have more success than i.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Nice one Pete, will do that and let you know. Cheers.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM

It is indeed Temple Carruthers,my late father.The item was shown on Look North.The interviewer was Michael Rodd. I have a copy of the tape which I managed to track down from the BBC archives.
Old 22-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templesam View Post
It is indeed Temple Carruthers,my late father.The item was shown on Look North.The interviewer was Michael Rodd. I have a copy of the tape which I managed to track down from the BBC archives.
Any chance of a youtube upload perhaps?
Old 21-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Default you tube

i will work on it,
Old 22-05-2012, 08:51 AM

I stumbled on this video a number of years ago and found it fascinating, especially as at one stage the camera is set up in our garden. I can't find a way to record it. I emailed someone connected with the video and asked about the possibility of obtaining a copy. I laid on nostalgia and social significance as thickly as I could. I got a reply from someone at the BBC who said they would try to help, but I heard no more after that.

Templesam, I've sent you a personal message.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Default Radcliffe Village

I have now got a good copy of the BBC dvd of Radcliffe
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by templesam View Post
I have now got a good copy of the BBC dvd of Radcliffe
Is this available for purchase anywhere templesam?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Radcliffe Village

Eventually posted the film of my dad talking about Radcliffe Village on YOU TUBE = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up2mvz7y-Po
Should the link not work ,simply type "Radcliffe Northumberland" in the search box on you tube

Last edited by Coquet; 02-10-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fix link