Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 28-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Post New Member

OK so I had best introduce myself. My name is Geoff and I was born, literally, at home in Linhope Terrace, East Chevington.
My Gran, Mary Lindsley and an uncle lived on Hedgehope and an aunt also lived on Linhope.
Left the Drift about 25 years later and after living in Wimbledon and Putney I now live in Surrey. Unfortunately I don't get to go 'home' very often these days.
(Strange how it is still thought of as 'home' considering I have been away longer than I was there!)
Like many others I started investigating my family tree several years ago but stopped. The interest in it has resurfaced lately which is how I have found this site.
I have read a lot of the posts and they have brought back many memories.
I look forward to catching up with all of it over the coming weeks.
Old 30-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Mary Lindsay

Was your gran a post-woman? Or perhaps this was an earlier generation

Morpeth Herald March 13 1909
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 587FCFFF-5CF9-4841-8DFF-733E71BCE58A.jpg (61.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Hadston-Green; 30-10-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 30-10-2020, 01:07 PM

Default Post Woman

Thanks, Hadston-Green, for that snippet. Unfortunately it wasn't her as she was born in 1882 so an earlier generation possibly. I will have to dig out my old notes on the family. Lindsay was a regular spelling of the family name (there were others!) though it changed to Lindsley around the time of my mother's birth and has remained that way since. Gran used to keep the trestle table and legs in her cupboard that was used for laying out the body of anyone that died at Chevington until the undertaker could get there to collect the body. She would be called upon at any hour to give out the table. I presume she was paid a small remuneration for that. Quite macabre! I suppose that practice isn't needed any more.

Tags
drift, east chevington