Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-06-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Chevington Burn

Can anyone shed any light on why the mouth of the burn was called the "mooth"(pronounced like "smooth" without the S at the front). ?was it simply our northumberland accent,or,east chevington slang?
I remember fishing there in the mid/late 70s with my mates from Hadston,we would catch small flatfish, eels and once a sea trout on a hand line!!
On google maps the burn looks nothing like it used to back then;the open cast road and bridge seem gone and the actual course of the burn has changed as it meets the sea.
Old 27-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Mooth = Just the local accent I think.

here it is back in 1864, Chibburn rather than Chevington Burn back then? (or have I got the wrong place?:

Old 27-06-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks for that,the shape of the burn as it meets the sea was similiar to how it was in the 70s i think,plus the fact it was called Chibburn Mouth on the old map may explain the nick name "mooth".
Old 28-06-2014, 03:08 PM

It still is the moothe,although there is very little left of what you will remember.
It was altered when the opencast was working and a huge concrete culvert was built,although I don't know why.
In my opinion the burn should have been reinstated back to its original course once the opencast had finished but that's unlikely now.
We would spend hours there as kids fishing for flatties and Eels with hand lines and lighting fires with the diesel that stood in drums along the coal road.
Old 28-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Its a shame really,but happy memories,i also remember catching the biggest eels of my life at the first large lake they dug at druridge bay park next to hadston!
They were huge about 4ft long!(although im prone to exaggeration being a fisherman)
Old 29-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

You've got me thinking about fish. Or lack of fish! As a kid hanging around the Amble piers (or south jetty if you like) in the 70s, fish were very visible compared to today. Where have they all gone? Sprats - massive shoals swimming around the pier timbers; we used to catch loads for something to do. 'Poddlers', again visible swimming in and out of the timbers, these were large fish, not sure what the correct name is? coalfish? again easy to catch - never seen one for years. In the 'little shore' when the tide was in and looking over from the pier you could always see large flatties cruising about on the sandy bottom. Not a sausage there now.

Ragworms - we used to dig directly under the pier - thick black glutinous mud. Sewer pipe pumping out all sorts just a few metres away. The worms were as thick as your finger with a vicious pair of black mandibles that could give you one hell of a bite!

Sand eel shoals. Where have they gone? Used to get great boiling masses of them in the harbour and the 'triangle' being chased about by mackerel. Not seen any of that for years either.
Old 29-06-2014, 02:52 PM

I remember catching sprats off the pier in the early 70s, the little shore though has changed because of the half tide barrier installed when the pier was refurbished.This means that the tide never goes fully "out" leaving water in supposedly for leisure reasons. It appears to be silting up to me, as there is an island appearing in the middle and maybe one day we will able to walk again on firm sand at low tide!
Old 29-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Sprat fishing under the pier, brings back memories from the mid 1950's. Balancing on the timbers at the foot of "Parliament steps". These were the steps about 50 or 60 yards from the start of the pier which were not put back after the refurbishment. No one seemed to have any problems without the strict health and safety we have today, how did we survive??
Old 29-06-2014, 07:17 PM

Alan am I right in remembering a rail track on the first 50 yards of the pier, on the little shore side, were the steps next to it and the brick sewer outlet? We learned not to pick up small brown stones at low tide !!
Old 29-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Alan am I right in remembering a rail track on the first 50 yards of the pier, on the little shore side, were the steps next to it and the brick sewer outlet? We learned not to pick up small brown stones at low tide !!

It was quite vile at times wasn't it!

Quote:
Sprat fishing under the pier, brings back memories from the mid 1950's. Balancing on the timbers at the foot of "Parliament steps". These were the steps about 50 or 60 yards from the start of the pier which were not put back after the refurbishment. No one seemed to have any problems without the strict health and safety we have today, how did we survive??

10 sprat hooks from the Pole's shop and down the Parley steps with a few bits of smashed mussel for bait.. Great fun. (not for the sprats though )
Old 29-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Yes i remember digging big ragworm at the small square part of the harbour!(?the dock)with my dads garden fork.Fish were easy to catch then;poddlers(coalfish),plaice and the odd codling were all plentiful in the harbour back then.
Old 29-06-2014, 07:50 PM

There was a seal swimming about looking for food from the fishing boats the other night in the harbour, how times have changed, it wouldn't have dared to swim near a coble 40 years ago!!
Old 30-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Correct Hollydog, there was a railtrack on the first few yards of the pier and also a steam crane was parked just short of the pier, about where the diesel tank used to be before the flood. This crane also appears on some of the old harbour photos. It was used occasionally by the harbour workmen for various tasks.
Old 30-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Correct Hollydog, there was a railtrack on the first few yards of the pier and also a steam crane was parked just short of the pier, about where the diesel tank used to be before the flood. This crane also appears on some of the old harbour photos. It was used occasionally by the harbour workmen for various tasks.
On this one I think:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harbour_crane.jpg (64.9 KB, 58 views)