Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-03-2016, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Have you seen the LIDAR data that the government have released?
Been lots of discoveries of Roman roads and other archaeology by amateurs with it.

The resolution for our area at this time is 1 metre, some areas it is 25cm.

Looks like I was looking at a natural topographic feature at Gloster....but there is a another linear feature from the cemetery to New Hall Farm, looks like a road

Have a look at the field north of Gloster hill - old ridge and furrow patterns, possibly parallel to old river banks.

You can download the LIDAR data onto your computer and open it in a viewer (also downloadable) but it's all beyond me at the moment.

https://houseprices.io/lab/lidar/map
Old 20-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Thanks I will look at it. The corner of cemetery to New Hall is I think an old field boundary/hedge relatively recently removed.
Old 20-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks I will look at it. The corner of cemetery to New Hall is I think an old field boundary/hedge relatively recently removed.
Looks like it was also the old township boundary between Gloster Hill and Amble.
Old 20-03-2016, 04:49 PM

My father , Amble born and bred, tells me that his grandfather and uncle , stalwarts of the Links golf club , told him that the original Amble golf club was on the landward side of what is now the Amble - Warkworth road . It was prone to flooding ,hence the move to the Links . This was a surprise to me . Does anyone know of this old course ?
Old 20-03-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Have you seen the LIDAR data that the government have released?
Been lots of discoveries of Roman roads and other archaeology by amateurs with it.

The resolution for our area at this time is 1 metre, some areas it is 25cm.

Looks like I was looking at a natural topographic feature at Gloster....but there is a another linear feature from the cemetery to New Hall Farm, looks like a road

]
The linear feature from the cemetery to New Hall is the old lonnen. These would have all been the original routeways into and round Amble. It would connect with what was originally the centre of Amble round Togston Square.
Old 20-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
According to "Mackenzie''s History of Northumberland" a Mr John Shanks while forming an embankment discovered an ancient causeway one foot below the surface about two and a half feet wide, strongly paved and running in a straight line from Amble to the old bed of the Coquet, possibly Roman origin. He also refers to a village leaving circular foundation marks, and some monastic ruins.
Credit to J M Hobrough for the above.
Well, this got me completely bamboozled I looked in Mackenzie, nothing, so looked at McInnes and there it was:
"I glean from Mackenzie's history of Northumberland, the following items about Amble in British and Roman time, though I am a little dubious as to their correctness. The writer of that history says; "Foundations of buildings of undressed stones, and built in a circular form without mortar, after the manner of the ancient Britons, have been found here....And that when the late Mr John Shanks was forming an embankment, he discovered an ancient causeway, one foot below the surface, about two and a half feet wide, strongly paved, and running in a straight direction from Amble to the old bed of the Coquet, probably of Roman origin...." I have enquired of one of the oldest inhabitants about this, and he confirms the account of the causeway, though he seems to think it was a very rough and small pathway. It may have been Roman, however, but this can be mere conjecture, unless it was again exposed to view." Get Digging!!

Mackenzie did his history in 1811 and McInnes was writing in 1880 so an old Ambler could have a memory of it.
Old 20-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Is the McInnes book online or does someone have a copy?
Old 20-03-2016, 07:19 PM

The lidar map is certainly interesting, it shows up bomb craters very well ! (field SE of Brotherwick farm has 3, and in the same field at a corner of the river woods is the just discernible crater caused by a crashed Spitfire)
Jan the feature from the cemetery west is about 50 yards north of the lonnen and was an old field boundary we think.
Old 20-03-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Is the McInnes book online or does someone have a copy?
I've got a copy, bought it from Woodhorn. It's really a glorified pamphlet.
Old 20-03-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Jan the feature from the cemetery west is about 50 yards north of the lonnen and was an old field boundary we think.
Thanks for that Hollydog, back to the drawing board then!
Old 20-03-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corfuandy View Post
My father , Amble born and bred, tells me that his grandfather and uncle , stalwarts of the Links golf club , told him that the original Amble golf club was on the landward side of what is now the Amble - Warkworth road . It was prone to flooding ,hence the move to the Links . This was a surprise to me . Does anyone know of this old course ?
I have heard talk of a proposed golf course there but it was many years ago, didn't know that a course may have actually existed?
Old 20-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Once, a few years ago, when playing a few holes with Eddy Young, at Warkworth we got talking about the Amble course of which he had been a member pre war. He told me that after the war when it wasn't going to be possible for the Amble course to be reinstated, consideration and some work was done to have a course on the flats below Glosterhill. This project was abandoned due to the potential flooding risk in that area from the Guildean burn. The original Amble members who had went to Warkworth during the war decided to remain there.
Old 21-03-2016, 04:29 AM

Thanks Hollydog and Alan J . Think that probably explains it . I lived at the bottom of The Wynd as a child . We used to play in the fields below Gloster Hill so I was curious, as never heard anything about a golf course there . The fields were certainly prone to widespread flooding .
Old 21-03-2016, 06:42 PM

Yes Andy, you, Duncan, myself (John Young) and the Sample kids (Geoff Ian Judith Jill) used to play out in the fields below West avenue, now allotments, in the late sixties
Old 22-03-2016, 02:22 AM

Remember those times well John . Late 60s , playing in the "horses' field" , (Grenfell's field) . If we didn't join the football game at the top of the field , we roamed the whole area , up to the pigeon duckets, playing " Japs and English" !