Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default Old Documents

The auction of old local documents over in Carlisle continues. More from the 'Solicitors attic' we have mentioned on here, plus other stuff.

In their last auction was a box of stuff for Red Row / Chevington (lot 105):

Documents & Ephemera - Northumberland. 1919. Archive of printed & manuscript documents for the Lord Grey Buffalo Club & Institute Ltd., Red Row, Broomhill, Morpeth, including printed Memorandum & Articles of Association, rule books, letterheads, details & documents on the forming of the Company, conveyances to the Club's Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at East Chevington & Red Row Chapel at Broomhill, etc. Quantity in box.

went for £20. Stuff like this appears to get broken up and sold on ebay.

I did buy something from them several months ago as an absentee bidder and postage was quite reasonable considering the several kg in weight.

I can't find space for boxes of documents unfortunately but thought I'd mention this auction house in case someone else is interested. (I have no financial connection to them by the way!)
Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Administrator

A nice collection with some Rothbury interest, went for a more respectable price of £250 (lot 118):

Quote:
Documents & Ephemera - Northumberland. 1806-1860's. Bundles of old legal documents & papers & a lot of correspondence, many posted with postmarks & including Rothbury Forest bill & papers; 1807-10 Horsley Common papers & letters; 1850 papers to establish a cattle fair at Alnwick; 1827 Percy Leap letters & documents; 1822-23 Thirston documents & papers; 1833 Rothbury poachers; 1830-40 Township of Lucker Living; 1840-60 fishing papers; 1869 Talbot lands; 1818-1840's salmon fishing bill; two printed Acts; coquet salmon fishing & poaching cases; etc. 1860-70 bundle of road & bridge closures; notices; letters; etc. Great local history lot. Quantity in a box.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM

I have probably mentioned it before but I suspect someone bought the lot in an office clearance - a long gone office in Narrowgate Alnwick - R Thorpe Solicitors?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
I have probably mentioned it before but I suspect someone bought the lot in an office clearance - a long gone office in Narrowgate Alnwick - R Thorpe Solicitors?
It's a pity someone didn't get hold of this enormous collection first for photography /scanning and digitizing - Bailiffgate museum perhaps, so it could in a sense be retained complete. They (the owners) could still auction off the originals afterwards.

All broken up and scattered to the four winds now.
Old 26-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post

In their last auction was a box of stuff for Red Row / Chevington (lot 105):

Documents & Ephemera - Northumberland. 1919. Archive of printed & manuscript documents for the Lord Grey Buffalo Club & Institute Ltd., Red Row, Broomhill, Morpeth, including printed Memorandum & Articles of Association, rule books, letterheads, details & documents on the forming of the Company, conveyances to the Club's Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at East Chevington & Red Row Chapel at Broomhill, etc. Quantity in box.
'
Hi Coquet - this post came up on a Google search for information on a Jim Dunn of Amble. 'Had an institute at The Drift and was also Chairman of The Buffalo Club at Red Row'. He seems to have been a relative of Jack Smailes' wife 'MJ' Dunn.(1890-1962) ????

Last edited by Gordon; 30-12-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added question marks!