Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 29-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Administrator

I would like to see a photo of the Acklington Dyke exposed in the opencast pit at Radcliffe. Now that would be something to see.

The only picture I have of a decent igneous dyke around here is the one at Boulmer, straight as a die going out to sea. I've marked the edges, as its hard to work out what's going on with weathered geology like this. I guess its about 20- 30 metres wide, might even be the one we passed through a whittle.

here's a photo with some people in it to give it scale:

Old 29-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Structures like this are all 'knowns' with regard to modern mining with its seismic surveys etc., but in earlier times it must have been a shocker hitting something like this out of the blue!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Default Duddy1984

I have noticed that since they stopped pumping water out at hauxley the road on approach to amble from radcliffe at the conways farm is dipping dramaticaly.it was fixed a while back but is just about back to what it was.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddy1984 View Post
I have noticed that since they stopped pumping water out at hauxley the road on approach to amble from radcliffe at the conways farm is dipping dramaticaly.it was fixed a while back but is just about back to what it was.
There was a drilling rig there last time it was fixed, would be interested to know what they found.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM

As has been mentioned in a previous post this may or may not be attributed to Radcliffe workings, Hauxley not to blame. I have also noticed this subsidence which has become more pronounced this last few weeks. It would be interesting to see the results of the boring.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Administrator

They drill then pressure grout into these subsidence areas as well which might explain a drill rig. (If they did it didn't work!)