Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 31-08-2016, 01:12 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Default Historical

I found a site that may be useful to forumites.Unless of course you have already been there!!If you google the "internet archive "and search for History of Northumberland, all the volumes are online(the one by hodgson).Very interesting and a lot of family trees in them.
Old 31-08-2016, 08:47 AM

I remember putting up a link a few years ago for that site too in relation to something Coquet posted (can't remember what though!). They used to have a load of Northumberland parish records digitised on there, but they have all gone now except the one for Berwick (1572-1700). I assume someone owned the copyright on them! Thank you for reminding me about it. It's ages since I had a look on there and the Hogson books are really good.
Old 17-11-2016, 11:37 AM

It seems as though there are now a few more Northumberland Parish Registers back up on the site which you can download a copy of. There are ones up there for Chatton, Ingram, Beadnall, Edlingham, Elsdon and Lesbury. Most of them go up to about 1812 or so. May be of interest to anyone with relatives from those areas. The Lesbury registers cover down to Warkworth Parish which includes a (very small in 1812) Amble.

Last edited by Morph; 17-11-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 18-11-2016, 11:54 PM
Administrator

We should have an index of what they are digitising over the pond. It really is a significant resource. Here is the Lesbury register and some others:

The registers of Lesbury in the county of Northumberland : Baptisms, 1690-1812. Marriages, 1689-1812. Burials, 1690-1812
by Lesbury, Eng. (Parish); Bolam, John; Peacock, Reginald; Wood, Herbert Maxwell here Published 1907

Northumberland words
by Heslop, Richard Oliver, 1842- vol 1

Northumberland words
by Heslop, Richard Oliver, 1842- vol 2

Mussel Beds of Northumberland 1906 is here
Amble on page 7

A glossary of terms used in the coal trade of Northumberland and Durham
by Greenwell, George Clementson, 1821-1900

Published 1888 is here

This interests me - fossils of Amphibians coming out of Newsham colliery. I had the privilege of viewing some trace fossils near Cullernose Point (just south of Craster) with some geologists. These were the footprints of a large amphibian. Oldest footprints on the planet; still are I think. These were the first creatures to actually 'walk' the earth.

On the discovery a large reptile in the Northumberland coal-measures
by T P Barkas Published 1869 here
and here

Early campaigns of the 5th Foot (Northumberland Fusiliers) is here

The Miners of Northumberland and Durham: a history of their social and political progress
by Fynes, Richard

Published 1873 is here
Old 19-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Yesterday, when I was searching for something else on Ancestry, I came across the full set (volumes 1-4) of Sykes and Fordyce, Local Records of Northumberland and Durham, 1886 and one by John Latimer with a similar title dated 1857.http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/...s&filter=0*33&
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=29673
Old 20-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Default A History of Northumberland

John Crawford Hodgson, Edward Bateson, H.H.E. Craster, MA, Kenneth H. Vickers MA:

Volume 1 A History of Northumberland 1893 Bamburgh and Belford

Volume 2 A History of Northumberland 1895 Embleton, Ellingham, Howick, Long Houghton, Lesbury

Volume 3 A History of Northumberland 1896 Hexhamshire Part I

Volume 4 A History of Northumberland 1897 Hexhamshire Part II Chollerton, Kirkheaton, Throcklington

Volume 5 A History of Northumberland 1899 Warkworth + Chevington, Shilbottle, Brainshaugh

Volume 6 A History of Northumberland 1902 Bywell St. Peter, Bywell St Andrew, Slaley

Volume 7 A History of Northumberland 1904 Edlingham, Felton, Brinkburn

Volume 8 A History of Northumberland 1907 Tynemouth

Volume 9 A History of Northumberland 1909 Earsdon and Horton

Volume 10 A History of Northumberland 1914 Corbridge

Volume 11 A History of Northumberland 1922 Carham, Branxton, Kirknewton, Wooler, Ford

is that the full set???
Old 20-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Administrator

The Chapel of St Waleric (Alnmouth) is worth a gander in vol 2
Three sketches from the Duke's collection.
Old 21-11-2016, 12:36 PM

I have just found around 38 reports from Amble Urban District Council relating to public health. Makes for very interesting reading considering the most recent one was dated 1971. It lists causes of death, mortality rates, food hygiene and even shows the number of tins of food found to be unfit for human consumption!

This link should show a list of the reports:
https://archive.org/search.php?query...ict+Council%22

Last edited by Morph; 21-11-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 21-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
I have just found around 38 reports from Amble Urban District Council relating to public health. Makes for very interesting reading considering the most recent one was dated 1971. It lists causes of death, mortality rates, food hygiene and even shows the number of tins of food found to be unfit for human consumption!

This link should show a list of the reports:
https://archive.org/search.php?query...ict+Council%22

You've found a little gold mine there!
I think Wellcome also has info on the war service of RAMC doctors. That might turn up there eventually.