Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Administrator

What's the best translation of advena Janwin? I think it's something like 'outsider' or 'stranger'?
Old 28-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Administrator

155 burials out of Amble Township for 1677-1744

more than I expected

223 for Hauxley Township

454 for Acklington

106 for Birling

131 for Chevington (East and West)

551 for Warkworth

[as we have missing pages in the original register actual figures will be higher]
Old 29-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
What's the best translation of advena Janwin? I think it's something like 'outsider' or 'stranger'?
I think the literal translation is foreigner, but early registers seemed to use "stranger" a lot, so I'd go for that. Seems to be anyone without a Northumbrian accent
Old 29-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I think the literal translation is foreigner, but early registers seemed to use "stranger" a lot, so I'd go for that. Seems to be anyone without a Northumbrian accent

That'll do me.

what do you make of this one?:

[William] Clay et Anna uxor ejus eodem die sepulti et in una sepulchro conditi de Acklinton Park

30/7/1749

This seems to refer to these two going into the same tomb or grave, which wouldn't be unusual, so I'm wondering why it's mentioned? does sepulchro/sepulcher mean something special like an above ground tomb?
Old 29-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Don't think it's anything special, maybe they were important people at Acklington Park?

William and Ann Clay his wife of Acklington Park died the same day and were interred in one grave.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Just had a look on the Hodgson Acklington page on the Amble and District site. Seems to have been Clays in Acklington going back in time as landowners. Probably merited a special mention in the registers because they were local gentry, unlike us "plebs" (Oh, can I say that? I mean plebeans of course
Old 30-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Plebs - now a highly fashionable description to separate us from MPs and local councillors.

In a dream I had all this Warkworth register data up to 1850 sorted alphabetically by surname and dates corrected. I reckon there will be 14,000 events at least in this period.

I'll keep coming back to it when I have a spare hour.
Old 30-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator

On the 9th December 1754 three people from another shipwreck at Bondicar were buried:

Thomas Ball, Sargent
Thomas Watt, Barber
and Elizabeth Clark.

Sargent Thomas Ball... interesting...wonder if he was Royal Marines? 'Barber' could be a naval appointment as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Administrator

30th March 1810

"Luitjon Janscuderdem of Amsterdam, a Dutch seaman belonging to the ship 'Young Johanna,' aged 53 years

Albert Kok of Amsterdam, a Dutch seaman belonging to the ship 'Young Johanna,' aged 22 years

Reiner Wiebrans of Amsterdam, a Dutch seaman belonging to the ship 'Young Johanna,' aged 18 years

These three men were drowned near Hauxley. Their ship foundered and was lost, the master, Jan Cerseh, being the only person saved "
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
This is a burial entry for August 28 1728

5 persons/bodies? 3 men and 2 women from the rocks [immersed? or drowned?]
at bondicar buried in the cemetery. One of the women was Ann Mattison of Stamford.....Appleby and ???

Possibly in the newspaper archive? or too early?
I was a bit previous in saying that this was too early for the newspapers. The Newcastle Courant was in existence. The only reference I can find for this one is from the 31 August edition:
"Shields August 29th; On the 27th we had a violent storm of wind, by which we lost by Coquet Island, a vessel belonging to this place, Robert Humphrey, master; the said master and 11 passengers, who were bound for Leith in Scotland, were drowned...."
Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM

And a little bit more from the Courant of 7 December:
"Whereas a ship belonging to Shields, Robert Humphrey, master, the last of August or the first week of September last, was split in pieces upon Bondecar Rocks, nigh Coquet Island, on board which were several passengers, who with the Master and seamen were all lost, saving two men and a boy: some of these passengers after being thrown upon the sands, amongst whom, one man, supposed to belong to Dalkeith, with a pair of silver buckles marked A P in whose pocket was found seven pounds fifteen shillings and ten pence. If his nighest relation will appear, producing a certificate that he is so, to Mr Tho. Carr of Nun Riding nigh Morpeth in Northumberland, may receive the money, allowing reasonable charges, and give a sufficient discharge for the same-This will be no more advertised."
Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Administrator

that's quite a sum of money. wonder if it was claimed?

I've been in Woodhorn today doing burials 1813-1820 - Vicar scrawl to my scrawl - so still to type out. Came across this charming entry;

the body of a man in a sailor's [dress], above 50 years of age found at the mouth of Coquet, much mutilated and very putrid, buried.

I was wondering how his clothing survived considering the reference to the body. The word 'dress' is my best guess as it's difficult to read so perhaps it's something else?

Anyway, the burial date is Aug 19 1818. Poor fellow.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

I've done a list of private baptisms from the Radcliffe Good Shepherd preacher's book 1889-1898 many of these are Amble:

eg

1889 28th March Private Baptism Eleanor Isabel Arkle, Broomhill Street (died March 29)

1897 29th Jan Private Baptism at Mrs Scott's Bryon Street

1895 13th Jan Private Baptism at [Mrs?] Young's, 1 Henderson Street

1892 16th Apr Private Baptism Alexander Potter, Albert Street

Would these be children not expected to survive?

Not a lot of these baptism events, perhaps about 60 in that book.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And a little bit more from the Courant of 7 December:
"Whereas a ship belonging to Shields, Robert Humphrey, master, the last of August or the first week of September last, was split in pieces upon Bondecar Rocks, nigh Coquet Island, on board which were several passengers, who with the Master and seamen were all lost, saving two men and a boy: some of these passengers after being thrown upon the sands, amongst whom, one man, supposed to belong to Dalkeith, with a pair of silver buckles marked A P in whose pocket was found seven pounds fifteen shillings and ten pence. If his nighest relation will appear, producing a certificate that he is so, to Mr Tho. Carr of Nun Riding nigh Morpeth in Northumberland, may receive the money, allowing reasonable charges, and give a sufficient discharge for the same-This will be no more advertised."

Looking at this again - is this suggesting bodies came ashore in December from a wreck in August??
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM

I don't think that it is saying that the bodies only came ashore in December, although it's a bit vague. I would guess that the delay is from the bits and pieces being identified as belonging to AP and then finding their way to Mr Carr (whoever he was) who had then to decide what to do about it.

I wonder if an advert was placed in a newspaper local to Dalkeith or whether Mr Carr felt he had discharged his responsibility with one advert in the Courant
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I've done a list of private baptisms from the Radcliffe Good Shepherd preacher's book 1889-1898 many of these are Amble:

Would these be children not expected to survive?

Not a lot of these baptism events, perhaps about 60 in that book.
I think that the preachers in these chapels were much more about in the community and he would have a reasonable Amble (probably ex Radcliffe) flock. If there were new borns, especially in the winter/early Spring months he would baptise them in the home.
You haven't come across any Beverleys by any chance
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM

I've had a look to see if your Radcliffe Good Shepherd baptisms appear as burials at the East Cemetery and they all do. A couple of the addresses do not match, which is interesting, maybe baptisms in a family member's house?

Eleanor Arkle, aged 9 weeks of Percy Street, buried 30 March 1889;
Alexander Potter, aged 7 days, of Albert Street, buried 18 April 1892;
Robert, son of Thomas Young, aged 3 weeks, of Percy Street, buried 2 Feb 1895;
Henry Henderson Scott, aged 6 months, of Byron Street, buried 1 Feb 1897.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Sorry Janwhin that first one for Arkle is Percy street. Young is correct for 1 Henderson street.

I'll start typing them out here. I'll print it off and double check them against the original next week, and have another attempt at the 'illegibles'.

I'll also look through for Beverley as these baptisms are only about 10-20% of the total events recorded, they might be recorded in other entries. ('private celebration', 'cottage service' etc.)

Have you a street in the East Cemetery data for the last baptism I typed - Cecil Pattinson, I see he's in there - the street is recorded in the preachers book but I've starred it as illegible, but I've had a few guesses, like to know if I'm right
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
their way to Mr Carr (whoever he was) who had then to decide what to do about it.
(
There's a notable family of Carrs connected to Bondicarr from the 16th Century. Perhaps still there at this later time?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Administrator

This will be the man, those (d) references refer to Mitford Monumental Inscriptions .

The foreshore at Bondicar I know was not Crown Estate, so the Carrs probably owned it. Perhaps he became the owner of the wrecks ?