Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-06-2015, 02:29 PM

Default Warkworth Moor-The Bumping Stone

Now here's a new one for you all, the Bumping Stone of Warkworth Moor. I was browsing my Northumbrian Magazine, as you do, when I came across a letter from a James H Forster, of Warkworth. He and his father farmed Brotherwick, which includes the Moor, for 60 years and he had no recollection of the Bumping Stone which was mentioned in an article from the previous magazine.
The article by Andrew Curtis included a reference to artificial boundary stones, often named because of their location. One of these was the Bumping Stone on Warkworth Moor.
Curtis' response to the letter is:
"The Bumping Stone is a substantial stone in a hedge on Warkworth Moor. It marks part of the post 1269 boundary of Sturton Grange, described in a medieval charter........a bumping stone is shown at this point on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1866. The name probably derives from the practice of beating the bounds.
Although I have never actually seen the stone I have the following information and likely location: "In the hedge next to the path that runs south from the road junction parallel to the railway, east of East House Farm. The stone marked the prominent bend in the parish boundary which here turns east to cross the railway. It marked the corner on the former Warkworth Moor.".........It doesn't feature on any of the later maps."
Old 20-06-2015, 05:02 PM

I will go and have a look tomorrow Jan. It would be East House that farms that field, not Brotherwick, may be wrong though. I have found it on the keys to the past site. Post a pic if I can find it
Old 20-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Administrator

I noticed that odd name on the map the other night. Here's that 1864 map.
I'll see if I can make it semi transparent and lay it over google. (if I can remember how to do that)

I've marked the bumping stone in the west, the footbridge and ford. I'm not sure if the latter two actually do line up with the modern equivalents now looking at that. This area was spread across two maps which made it difficult to see what was going on. (merged into one here)

Old 20-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Difficult merging those two. Not much use but it does show the bridge and ford are still in the 1864 positions. (where's Morph? he's good at this map merging stuff)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warkworth_moor_bumping_stone_1864_2.jpg (77.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bumping stone.jpg (68.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 21-06-2015, 12:01 AM

Late night fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BS_Overlay.jpg (72.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 21-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Super. That's what I meant to do. You're now chief map maker.
Old 21-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Davisons East Field Farm,

Last edited by leslie; 21-06-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 21-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Super. That's what I meant to do. You're now chief map maker.
Happy to help! I'm always amazed at the way most of these roads and hedges still line up neatly today. They must have not changed for many many years. Some of them pre date the 1801 enclosure act. I can't imagine there are too many left in other more developed parts of the country. Has anyone found the stone yet!?
Old 21-06-2015, 01:33 PM

I have been on the footpath, lined up the hedges, and found waist high vegetation. Its one to put in the diary for January when its died back!

Last edited by hollydog; 21-06-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 21-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Update, I am reliably informed that it is no longer there and has been gone a very long time.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:45 AM

What a hero But thanks for the effort. At least we know about it now and where it was. I wonder whose garden or stone wall it has ended up in.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Seem to remember a mention of a Boundary Stone at Acklington Park(Hodgson's Vol5 ) If Memory serves! Also Was once told by Old Acklington Resident.that pre Acklington Church that all coffins were carried to Warkworth for service and Burial. on way was a Tree where they paused for rest! (Morwick area)?? anyone else heard this! and idea of location???
Old 22-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Seem to remember a mention of a Boundary Stone at Acklington Park(Hodgson's Vol5 ) If Memory serves! Also Was once told by Old Acklington Resident.that pre Acklington Church that all coffins were carried to Warkworth for service and Burial. on way was a Tree where they paused for rest! (Morwick area)?? anyone else heard this! and idea of location???
He does quote a manuscript of the Duke that mentions the 'Marche Stones' in an early description of the township boundaries. March stones being the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Update, I am reliably informed that it is no longer there and has been gone a very long time.
I wonder why someone would move it if it was already out of the way on a field boundary?
Old 22-06-2015, 10:06 PM

http://www.keystothepast.info/Pages/...spx?PRN=N15303
Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Where is the 1864 map sourced from? Id be interested in seeing the next section south to see what else was at Morwick at that time.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcmorwick View Post
Where is the 1864 map sourced from? Id be interested in seeing the next section south to see what else was at Morwick at that time.
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102346335
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 PM

Try having a play on this site- Keys to the past, historical maps http://www.keystothepast.info/articl...ils?PRN=N14383
Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM

Thanks very much. Extremely interesting.