Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 14-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Default Old Postcard Pictures of Amble

Here are some of the old pictures and postcards I have collected over the years. Hopefully some may be new to viewers
Old 14-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Re: Cemetery Avenue - West Avenue pic

when were all the metal railings around Amble taken away? I know it was to salvage metal for munitions during the war, but which war - was it WW1 or WW2 ??
Old 14-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Hollydog, I would love to see an old postcard of Marks Row cottages. My sisters have been looking for one for years without success.
They were born at Marks Bridge Farm, or small holding really, the cottage they lived in is still there but the farm is now bungalows. I think the small holder was called Rutherford.
Jack Anderson used to have an allotment, under Marks Bridge and close to Windmill Cottage with geese, always screetching as we went past. We lived in Lindisfarne Road from 1958 and Marks Row was still there, but pulled down a few years later.
Old 14-04-2012, 03:23 PM

This is the closest I can find to Mark's Row, right era but unfortunately the multi-view with South Avenue is facing the wrong direction.My grandparents lived on the right in South Av.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ack road.jpg (21.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 35d7_1.jpg (16.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 383281274_o.jpg (116.2 KB, 160 views)
Old 14-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Default More pics

Here are some more - Amble in a nutshell is a gem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ec89_1.jpg (21.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 7bbf_12.jpg (27.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 46dc_1.jpg (22.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 91b0_1.jpg (15.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg cd66_1.jpg (19.8 KB, 131 views)
Old 14-04-2012, 05:25 PM

You're right, the view of South Avenue is the one we saw from our kitchen window, when washing the dishes. I also stood there patiently waiting for my friend who lived on South Avenue, so we could walk together to catch the school bus!
Old 18-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Default More pics

More postcard pics - sorry about the baby on the last one!! wonder how popular that card was?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !B,G!(r!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BKp5+VUiRw~~_35.jpg (6.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 10a6_1.jpg (19.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg bede_street_amble3.jpg (82.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg pc11571.jpg (58.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg amble.jpg (68.8 KB, 138 views)
Old 18-04-2012, 12:15 PM

That's quite a collection you have. The baby is interesting!
Old 14-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Some more old photos. The most people I have seen on Bede st !!
and another of Amble station - apologies if you have already seen them. No idea what was happening with the flags and bunting on Bede st though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bede st.jpg (100.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg amble station.jpg (54.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 14-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Could that Bede Street one be the end of the Great War? French flags?

or Coronation of George V? (Cannot be Edward VII Coronation as it's post 1905)

Last edited by Coquet; 16-10-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add more
Old 15-10-2012, 06:24 PM

My great uncle Arthur Rowell (lived on Gordon st in the house that looks through the cut to Ladbroke st and the little shore) painting his wonderfully named coble "Faggott" - spelling allowing!! Note the concrete houses in the background - now the carpark?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uncle arthur.jpg (53.4 KB, 150 views)
Old 16-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Would those concrete houses be the cement houses referred to on the census?
Old 16-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Cement cottages.

Yes that is them, I also remember Authur Rowell well, manager of the "Top Store", opposite Gino's chip shop and the "Dole" office. Arthur, seen painting the Faggott, put it into the water each summer on the "Little shore" where it was moored about half way along the pier. He did a bit line fishing in Alnmouth bay and in the winter pulled it up onto the grass again ready for next years maintenance.
Old 16-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Marks Row Cotages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
You're right, the view of South Avenue is the one we saw from our kitchen window, when washing the dishes. I also stood there patiently waiting for my friend who lived on South Avenue, so we could walk together to catch the school bus!
There is a picture of these in the book "A story of Amble" by David Wilkinson and Paul G Morrison published in 1985. It says they were demolished in the 1960's, you wouldn't have been able to see South Ave from your kitchen window before this
I too have often wondered about their location as, looking now, there doesn't seem much room for them but I suppose the road must have been narrower then as they were forward from the line of Albert Street. I used to deliver groceries from Thompsons Stores to Bella Davison who lived in the house on the right as you enter Lindisfarne Road from the main road also to the Turnbull family who lived further along toward Radcliffe.
Old 16-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Didn't need a school bus until 1961, before then my school was just over the garden wall.....unfortunately it was the outside facilities that were closest to the garden!

All the landscaped area at the top of Lindisfarne was that bit of Marks Row gardens. When they started demolishing, Craiggs began to park their buses on what became wasteland.
Old 15-01-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
This is the closest I can find to Mark's Row, right era but unfortunately the multi-view with South Avenue is facing the wrong direction.My grandparents lived on the right in South Av.
The picture of cliffe house was taken before the coast guard lookout station was built. You can just about make out the wicker ball that was hoisted up the flag pole when there was enough water over the bar to allow the company steam boats to enter the harbour.
Old 31-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Re: Cemetery Avenue - West Avenue pic

when were all the metal railings around Amble taken away? I know it was to salvage metal for munitions during the war, but which war - was it WW1 or WW2 ??
The railings were cut down by my Uncle Tom Bailes as foreman at the Amble Engineering Co. It was at the beginning of WW2. There was a short section remaining half way down on the right where there used to be a seat.

Does anybody remember all the Army lorries parked for months under the trees in preparation for DDay. They all vanished on the same night. I know because I used to play on and under them!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Not old postcards but similar. These are 1932 aerial photos from the Britain from above website. I can put them here as long as I put a link back to the original page:

I can see South and Central Avenue Semis, Edwin Street School, The Bede Street Club (and Bede Street) Wellwood Street. No Lindisfarne Road yet?
I think Marks Row is there too?

link back: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw038809

and this one Gordon Street and Blackwood Street near the camera. Now is that the shipyard on the far side of the Braid? Big whatever it is.

link back: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw038811
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM

Top photo, enlarged shows Eastgarth av. east side being built with Amble House behind and look how big the church was on High st!
And the ridge and furrow? field is still there next to the railway, I thought it was more modern than 1932, interesting

Last edited by hollydog; 06-02-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM

The Congregational church looks pretty big too. Marks Row is there but quite difficult to see and no Lindisfarne or Aidan Road (late 30s). What is the building where Clifton garage is now?