Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 PM

Well spotted Morph , doesn't seem to have changed much in all these years.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 AM

I agree with the Meadow Dairy, next to Rolands the butchers.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Administrator

You are correct:

Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Obit. for Duncan:

Morpeth Herald 28th of February 1936

Mr J.T. DUNCAN, AMBLE
A prominent resident of Amble, Mr John T. Duncan, passed away on Wednesday, after a short illness. Mr Duncan, who lived Acklington road, Amble, had been staying at the farm of his son, Mr G.A. Duncan, The Hutch, Belford.

Mr Duncan was a native of Amble and served as apprenticeship in the printing trade with the late Mr Henry Hunter Blair, Alnwick. Eventually he returned to Amble and began business on his own account as a printer and newsagent, from which he retired some years ago. He was well-known and respected throughout the district.

As a member of Amble Urban District Council for over 30 years he served his town and generation well. He was keenly interested in public affairs. He was also valued member of the Alnwick Rural District Council, the old Board of Guardians at Alnwick, and the Assessment Committee.

Mr Duncan was a Justice of the Peace for Northumberland and sat regularly at Amble Court, where he frequently presided over the Juvenile Court.
A Freemason of long-standing, Mr Duncan was a member of the Lord Warkworth Lodge of Freemasons, Amble, and also passed through all the offices including that of Grand Master. He was a Mark Mason and was also a member of the Charles Percy Lodge of Oddfellows.

Mr Duncan was a member of the Berwick Division Liberal Association, and worked hard in the Liberal cause in Amble and district.

He is survived by a widow and one son. The funeral takes place at Amble today (Friday).
Old 02-04-2018, 06:18 PM

Fascinating stuff, I vaguely remember the Wilkinsons living in the big house at the top of Gibson St behind the garage where I was a regular visitor to buy paraffin for our neighbours lamps, he wasn't keen on electricity!

I have relatives in Walkers Buildings in 1881, where were/are they?
Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 PM

John Thomas Duncan was the son of John Duncan of Gibson Street, the auctioneer whom we've discussed before. In that thread there was also a mention of a possible fire in Duncan's Buildings and I've come across something in the newspapers which might be relevant. The fire happened in 1909 and refers to the West End Co-op. The only Co-op I remember was round the corner of Bede Street/Albert Street. The butcher was in Bede Street and then the grocery came round the corner....my grandparents lived in the flat above, moving in about 1925. Could the Co-op have originally been on the opposite side of Albert Street?
Alnwick Mercury, 18 December 1909:
"An alarm was given about 6 o'clock on Tuesday morning when a fire broke out on the premises of the West End branch of the Amble Co-operative Society. A man living above the shop and warehouses discovered the outbreak, and in a remarkably short time the whole of the employees were on the scene, and had the hose attached to the street water pipes, and soon after the Amble Fire Brigade got their apparatus into working order and the fire was ultimately got under control. A large quantity of flour had been the day before deposited in the warehouse, all of which was entirely destroyed. Bacon, butter, and many other goods were destroyed to the estimated extent of £200, which was covered by insurance."
Old 21-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Default James Spence movers and shakers?

I'm looking at the history of 94 Queen Street and believe the Spence and Gibsons lived here at some time in late 1890s early 1900s. It seems to be called Coquet House on one census and later numbered as 94. It was recently known as Rochell House but I can't find any detail on this name in history maybe it was just a name for the care home that was there.